Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM

588 posts, read 797,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
The answer to this question?

Suppose you were God. You're like "hey everybody, worship me!"

You're bragging, which makes you seem not that hot.
According to many Christians and the book they talk about, God does expect to be worshipped regularly. Which makes you seem less "hot", 1. telling people directly to worship him or 2. just expect it without saying anything and then later sending most people to be punished for their lack of faith and worship?

*My question is under the assumption that you believe that non-believers go to hell. I realize that there are Christians who do not believe in a literal hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,374,668 times
But that's exactly why any god in the Eternal Torment camp, would necessarily have to be a false god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acts 17
And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm 40
Sacrifice and offering you did not desire-- but my ears you have opened -- burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
What defines a real God is being timeless, indifferent, and completely not dependent on humans will to exist. Something that collapses when you don't believe in it? We call that a ghost.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
But that's exactly why any god in the Eternal Torment camp, would necessarily have to be a false god.

What defines a real God is being timeless, indifferent, and completely not dependent on humans will to exist. Something that collapses when you don't believe in it? We call that a ghost.
Well, we call that 'Nature'. For us to correctly talk of 'God' we need some evidence of more than natural going on. Personal convictions or even mystical experiences are not good enough. picking on coincidental events as God's hand' is statistically invalid. I have had hundreds of such coincidences but I have never been a believer. It is just coincidence.

ID, archaeology and cosmology has failed to show any sound evidence of a god (apart from human belief) and unexplained questions are no more than that. The argument from Morality is dead in the water.

What apart from faith is the rationale for God -belief? And faith -as I have said - is not good enough, as a sound reason to believe.

I don't contest anyone's right to believe but I do stand on my right to contest its soundness, especially on a thread about reasons to believe.

I do agree with you on the ET thing, though.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,215,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalRescue View Post
I want to hear peoples opinions.Thanks
Exactly which god are you talking about? Your god? Any god?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,726,425 times
Quote:
So what does that mean? Show himself?
That's one possibility. I'm sure an omnipotent being could think of lots of others, assuming it existed and cared that we knew about it.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:54 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,726,425 times
After reading through the replies by believers, I wonder what would happen if I started a thread asking Christians what it would take for them not to believe and then started calling them stubborn, immoral and ignorant when they answered. Even if it wasn't shut down by the mods, I'm not sure that level of defensiveness and blaming the victim would convince anyone.

Likewise with the responses in this thread.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,390,333 times
Quote:
Oh i know that, but i was concerned with absolute proof mostly for atheists and theists as well i guess
But people like myself do not want "absolute proof". I have never asked for that.

Any evidence, argument, data and reasoning that even BEGINS to substantiate the claim there is a god would be a nice start. Even that is not forthcoming however.

What it actually is however is not for me to decide. It is for the people actually making the claim.

Quote:
I think you just want to be your own god or you are bitter about life events slightly. Its illogical to not believe in the end
This is the kind of thing that just makes theists look bad. So please keep saying it.

That you would just lash out with baseless ad hominem assumptions about someone you know nothing about rather than discuss the topic of the thread YOU started just belies how weak your own position is.

I for one fail to think there is a god because there is no reason to think there is a god. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how pleased I am with my own life.

Plus, if we are going to reduce ourselves to that childish level, we could BOTH play that game. Perhaps, for example, you only think there is a god because you are so unhappy with your miserable life that your only hope lies in there being a better one to come.

See how fatuous and useless it is to reduce the conversation to those terms?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
But people like myself do not want "absolute proof". I have never asked for that.

Any evidence, argument, data and reasoning that even BEGINS to substantiate the claim there is a god would be a nice start. Even that is not forthcoming however.

What it actually is however is not for me to decide. It is for the people actually making the claim.

This is the kind of thing that just makes theists look bad. So please keep saying it.

That you would just lash out with baseless ad hominem assumptions about someone you know nothing about rather than discuss the topic of the thread YOU started just belies how weak your own position is.

I for one fail to think there is a god because there is no reason to think there is a god. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how pleased I am with my own life.

Plus, if we are going to reduce ourselves to that childish level, we could BOTH play that game. Perhaps, for example, you only think there is a god because you are so unhappy with your miserable life that your only hope lies in there being a better one to come.

See how fatuous and useless it is to reduce the conversation to those terms?
The bolded is probably close to the truth anyway

Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,215,953 times
Quote:
I want to hear peoples opinions.Thanks
Just so you can be rude to them. I wonder what your god thinks about that?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just so you can be rude to them. I wonder what your god thinks about that?
More to the point, I wonder what the Mods think about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality