Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,234,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned .
Moderator cut: Orphaned response/reference

The OP is making some unreasonable demands -- requiring that the Bible be something it wasn't, and that it fit his/her model of ethics. You come along and mention how great your scriptures are, then...because they supposedly are more friendly in those areas. There's a reason for that.

My point was that the Bible is not politically correct. It wasn't written in the last 200 years, and doesn't reflect modern times. Joseph Smith did insert some political correctness, as you have pointed out, when he wrote the Book of Mormon. It plagiarizes quite a few passages and stories from the King James Bible. In doing so, he was rather forward-thinking for his time in some areas.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-19-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Based on what he has written, Vizio has no idea how the Book of Mormon came to exist.
Of course I do. It was "discovered" by a teenage boy. He supposedly was handed some golden plates that were translated by him sticking his head in a hat with a seer stone, which allowed him to translate them.

But I am not going to hijack this thread any further than it is. I will continue to remind the readers of this thread that I was not the one to bring up the Book of Mormon. That was done by one of the resident Mormons on the board.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,253,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course I do. It was "discovered" by a teenage boy. He supposedly was handed some golden plates that were translated by him sticking his head in a hat with a seer stone, which allowed him to translate them.
Wrong.

Seriously. Read up if you're going to talk about the LDS faith.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wrong.

Seriously. Read up if you're going to talk about the LDS faith.
I would suggest you check with the board's resident Mormon population on that. The angel Moroni supposedly appeared to him and gave them to him to translate.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I would suggest you check with the board's resident Mormon population on that. The angel Moroni supposedly appeared to him and gave them to him to translate.

Katzpur could, I'm very sure, give an interesting discourse on how it all came about but I'm as Mormon as the Queen of England and even I know they were buried in the ground.

What you are attempting to discuss is part of the history of the LDS church. You can learn about it or you can go on thinking the plates were handed over like the morning newspaper.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Katzpur could, I'm very sure, give an interesting discourse on how it all came about but I'm as Mormon as the Queen of England and even I know they were buried in the ground.

What you are attempting to discuss is part of the history of the LDS church. You can learn about it or you can go on thinking the plates were handed over like the morning newspaper.
My apologies...you are correct. The legend is that Moroni told him where to find them, and he went and got them. Moroni then told him to begin translation.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,315,977 times
Quote:
I assume you mean that you know that they were PRESUMABLY buried in the ground. Acceptance that the plates ever existed isn't universal in the LDS church, and is fully rejected by the reorganized church (Community of Christ).

Besides, you're arguing semantics here. The spiel I got at a historical site this past weekend only stated that he received the stones from Moroni.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

Besides, you're arguing semantics here.
Actually, it was an attempt to get someone to educate himself about the beginnings of the LDS faith.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM

775 posts, read 743,432 times
Quote:
My point was that the Bible is not politically correct.
This has nothing to do with political correctness. It has to do with the fact that, as you put it yourself, the Bible is culturally and ethically backwards by modern standards, and reflects the antiquated views of its times.

Now, explain to me why a work inspired by an omnipotent, omnibenevolent being would happen to read just as if...I don't know...it were just a collection of myths written by primitive, savage men?

And quit the cultural relativity bull**** - so long as you accept that slavery is abhorrent, you cannot possibly defend the Bible's ambiguity on the issue as "wrong only from my point of view".

Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
This has nothing to do with political correctness. It has to do with the fact that, as you put it yourself, the Bible is culturally and ethically backwards by modern standards, and reflects the antiquated views of its times.

Now, explain to me why a work inspired by an omnipotent, omnibenevolent being would happen to read just as if...I don't know...it were just a collection of myths written by primitive, savage men?

And quit the cultural relativity bull**** - so long as you accept that slavery is abhorrent, you cannot possibly defend the Bible's ambiguity on the issue as "wrong only from my point of view".
First of all, you really do need to understand what slavery was 2000 years ago. And yes....God did address slavery and required much better treatment of slaves Han any other nation in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality