Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times

Advertisements

Funny how people think an explosion is random. Actually its simply atoms and molecules rearranging themselves and in so doing expanding and usually emitting light and other forms of energy.

The big bang theory. (I don’t think it would be beneficial to get into time and dimension so I think its best to explain things leaving those subjects out if we can)
Well, lets look at the universe as it is now.
Most of us believe it is expanding from a central area.
Most of us (at least I assume) believe that mater doesn’t get created or destroyed it just changes form.
So, consider : What if matter always existed.
So the universe expands, starts to slow down, then reverses and starts to collapse back in on itself.
Collects together and goes critical. BANG. It starts expanding again. Over and over.
And yes. It is perpetual motion. But we are dealing with a closed system where no energy or matter is lost. And in that case perpetual motion can exist.

And as far as things arranging themselves into a structured order from apparent (notice the word apparent) chaos. Lets take a simple example. Get some hot water , dissolve a bunch of salt into it and mix it up good.
Wow, We now have a bunch of swirling salty water. (our universe) As it cools the salt will (and by no higher being or intelligence) start to organize itself and form salt crystals. A very well organized at the molecular scale and also looks like a perfect cube.
The universe and life doesn’t need a supreme being to be orderly .

And that’s how I see the universe with no problem of who created what.
Cheers
Aeroman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I think people get a little wrapped up in the Big Bang as something from nothing. I can see the same parallel drawn in the evolution debate. Evolution does not lay down any sort of notion of something (life in this case) coming from nothing. On the same note, I don't think the Big Bang theory accounts for matter spontaneously being created. The Big Bang theory, in my opinion, accounts for our universe as we know it starting from a massive expansion (not really an explosion) but not necessarily the formation of matter. Perhaps the formation of matter as we know it? Maybe.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Dumb question Alert From bigthirsty..

If the Universe continues to expand.. what is it expanding into.. is it just taking up nothing..

Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
If the Universe continues to expand.. what is it expanding into.. is it just taking up nothing..

Nope, good question. If you think about it for a moment, you can imagine that it is inherently unknowable to science what the universe is "expanding into," since by definition, the edge of an expanding universe represents the extent to which any possible energy or matter has, or could have, traveled. Anything beyond that threshold is by definition undetectable and therefore unknowable with respect to our universe.

So THAT is the realm of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But, seriously, you might also want to read about 'wormholes'.
Wormhole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there are black holes and white holes.

This is an article about a paper that imagines the Big Bang as coming out of primordial black hole:
SPACE.com -- New Theory: Universe Was Born in a Black Hole (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/white_hole_030917.html - broken link)
//
... The entire universe may have been created in an explosion inside a black hole.

Moderator cut: copyrighted article
//

You might also look on Youtube.com and elsewhere for videos about Neil Tyson who wrote the book "Death by Black Hole." He's an astronomer in NYCity.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 02:45 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
It was proven many decades ago that the universe is expanding and I've heard it described as resembling a balloon that's being blown up. It appears to have started at a single point and this is widely accepted by astronomers and has been for a long time so it's not some wild theory, it's taken very seriously. The problem we have is that we don't have an explanation for where all of this matter could have come from and all we can do is speculate. Also, I agree with the comment about the analogy to a Boeing jet which I've heard a million times, it just doesn't make any sense and tends to make people misunderstand science.
Big Thirsty's question is an interesting one. It's my understanding that when the big bang occurred that time and even space itself came into existence so the universe isn't really expanding into anything. It's a mind boggling concept.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Yes, there is no way to know anything about what is 'outside' the balloon.

Also, scientists are intensely interested in whether there is enough matter in the universe to provide sufficient aggregated gravity that would cause the expansion of the universe to slow down, stop, and reverse itself to cause an eventual implosion of the entire universe. Such an implosion might precede the next Big Bang and opens the idea that there have been a succession of Big Bangs and re-implosions.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:42 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Park Twain wrote:
Quote:
Also, scientists are intensely interested in whether there is enough matter in the universe to provide sufficient aggregated gravity that would cause the expansion of the universe to slow down, stop, and reverse itself to cause an eventual implosion of the entire universe.
The expansion of the universe appears to be speeding up as opposed to slowing down according to studies by astronomers in recent years. If this turns out to be correct it could mean that in the far distant future that the stars will eventually burn out and whatever life exists would also come to an end. Kind of a bleak scenario but it's a possibility.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I find all the research going on at the moment fascinating and wonder what the Higgs Boson experiments at CERN , next May will yield. Pure physics isn't my filed at all , so I don't understand it all but the concept is truly exciting ( and a tad worrying too as this will use the largest particle accelerator in the world so we don't really know what could happen).

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | 'God particle' may have been seen
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Underground search for 'God particle'
CERN chases the Higgs - physicsworld.com

Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
The typical arguments that try to discredit the big bang theory or evolution or any scientific explanation of nature usually involve the 747 being constructed out of scraps in a junkyard. This argument has been washed away in countless texts and really isn't worth the mention.

The truth is that I am not nearly educated enough to discuss the creation of the universe in any great depth, and even though it is fun to talk about, It really doesn't matter to me why or how it happened.. just that it did and here we are.. lets make the most of it!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It was proven many decades ago that the universe is expanding and I've heard it described as resembling a balloon that's being blown up.
Funny.. I was actually going to use that in my question to explain the question. It was the only analogy I could think of.

So thats the question.. as the balloon expands it takes up the space of nothing that was there before. What constitutes that "nothingness".

Thanks ParkTwain.. I'll look at those links you provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality