Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
Believe it.
GA,
I forgot to ask you - how is this being received in Georgia?
Are people angry and disappointed that their governor is openly a religious zealot?
Do most people think that this is a good, healthy thing for a governor to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
isn't it raining there now or going to tomorrow? Radar shows rain in the area.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
isn't it raining there now or going to tomorrow? Radar shows rain in the area.
Well, get to prayin' - if enough people pray hard enough I guess it's most logical to assume that it will rain today!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:27 AM

116 posts, read 282,770 times
Let's hope it works! If it does we can ask them to get together and pray for rain in Africa or cure Cancer.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM

218 posts, read 606,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
GA,
I forgot to ask you - how is this being received in Georgia?
Are people angry and disappointed that their governor is openly a religious zealot?
Do most people think that this is a good, healthy thing for a governor to do?
Depends on who you ask, but by and large he's been ignored. That's status quo (if it didn't happen in my back yard or affect my back yard....), but that's not only here in Georgia. If the Gov wants to pray for rain, well, fine - pray for rain off the capital steps - hold a rally for rain in the park, but don't have it on state property or sanctioned by the state. Most of the coverage about the event centered on AFS's 22 people who came to peacefully protest the Governor's illegal action.

I don't know what believers make of this. I know that the people I'm surrounded by are sickened and mortified by the Gov's public display and his playing of the god card. The people I refer to are non-believers. As for him being openly religious, that's par for the course here in Georgia.

Religion in Georgia, and especially outside of Atlanta, is the norm, a brand, a status symbol, and often a means for discrimination in many places. Living in the city, it's easier being an openly non-believer. Zealots are an accepted part of the landscape, except when they blow up abortion clinics.

In the meantime, I'm organizing a margarita and rain dance party.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Depends on who you ask, but by and large he's been ignored. That's status quo (if it didn't happen in my back yard or affect my back yard....), but that's not only here in Georgia. If the Gov wants to pray for rain, well, fine - pray for rain off the capital steps - hold a rally for rain in the park, but don't have it on state property or sanctioned by the state. Most of the coverage about the event centered on AFS's 22 people who came to peacefully protest the Governor's illegal action.

I don't know what believers make of this. I know that the people I'm surrounded by are sickened and mortified by the Gov's public display and his playing of the god card. The people I refer to are non-believers. As for him being openly religious, that's par for the course here in Georgia.

Religion in Georgia, and especially outside of Atlanta, is the norm, a brand, a status symbol, and often a means for discrimination in many places. Living in the city, it's easier being an openly non-believer. Zealots are an accepted part of the landscape, except when they blow up abortion clinics.

In the meantime, I'm organizing a margarita and rain dance party.
Thanks, GA - very informative and exactly what I was loooking for - I realize that there are probably strong opinions on both sides of the religious fence (that's why I wanted to ask YOU).
I guess I'm still shocked that any state governors are so open about this kind of thing - even if the prayer was not on state grounds.
Is it like that all over the South?
I live in Texas and I don't think that Gov. Perry could do that without being labeled a wacko. Maybe that's cause I live in Austin. Or maybe I'm just delusional. Wow. I've been awakened to another sad truth about the extent of the culture war in the US. Oh well. I suppose it's better to know...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
How do you know this?
The fact that the Declaration of Independence refers to "Nature's God" instead of just "God" is pretty good evidence. Here are a few quotes from Thomas Jefferson, the principal author of the document:

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

What is it men cannot be made to believe!
-Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, April 22, 1786. (on the British regarding America, but quoted here for its universal appeal.)

I concur with you strictly in your opinion of the comparative merits of atheism and demonism, and really see nothing but the latter in the being worshipped by many who think themselves Christians.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Richard Price, Jan. 8, 1789 (Richard Price had written to TJ on Oct. 26. about the harm done by religion and wrote "Would not Society be better without Such religions? Is Atheism less pernicious than Demonism?")

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM

218 posts, read 606,363 times
Quote:
Maybe that's cause I live in Austin. Or maybe I'm just delusional
Austin - well, no wonder. Your former gov, now our Prez . . . . what's that saying .... "kids, they say the darndest things" Well, there it is, except now we've upgraded to the leader of the US (I won't say "free world" because I have major doubts on that one). And you're probably not delusional, you're just in Austin. Lucky you.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
you're probably not delusional, you're just in Austin.
I think I may be delusional BECAUSE I live in Austin.
I've been so removed from the whole Christian vs. Secular debate in the US that I've lost track of who is winning.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:32 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
I think I may be delusional BECAUSE I live in Austin.
I've been so removed from the whole Christian vs. Secular debate in the US that I've lost track of who is winning.
hey tell your austinites to stop moving to San Antonio:0P Ready for the cold front? 87 today...39 tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality