Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times

Advertisements

Reza Aslan came into light very recently when his Fox News interview went viral. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to find it on youtube - it is very entertaining.

Reza Aslan's book: Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, is now on the bestseller list. Aslan is a religious scholar and states that the ideas in his book are not new. In fact, the things that he says in his book have been known for a long time and almost all religious scholars share the same views.

Now, I find this to be a little puzzling since the religious scholars and the religious institutions (like churches) seem to be saying different things about Jesus. For one, Aslan appears to be saying that Jesus was a real person - that is, he was not the son of God. Then, he goes on to say that much of what is in the Bible is not supposed to be read literally.

Now if religious scholars who have studied the history of Christianity say things like:
- Jesus was not the son of God
- Jesus would be puzzled to see people worshipping him today
- Bible is not literal, full of inaccuracies

Then why do churches, priests and the Pope seem to saying the exact opposite? I must say that Aslan does not attack Christianity in any way, he justs paints a very different and historically accurate picture of Jesus and the times he lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Well I think a lot of liberal Christians would agree with Aslan. But most of Christianity isn't willing to openly say that Jesus Christ is not the son of god. They are more willing to directly say that the Bible is not to be taken very literally or to openly acknowledge its contradictions and inaccuracies. One Unitarian pastor I know describes the Bible as "the story of man's search for transcendence".

Humanity has a lot of collective ego invested in the divinity of Jesus; whole wars and genocides have been done in the name of this idea since it was "settled" as an article of orthodoxy by the early church councils. So there is a disconnect between the "official" teachings of the mainstream churches and the actual beliefs of many individual Christians.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Reza Aslan is simply Anti-Christ. He would like to constantly bash Jesus and Christianity by using same quote (also found on second or third page on his silly book) when Jesus said "Do not think I came to bring peace but a sword". Many people have no clue what Jesus meant with that, and Muslims like Reza Aslan claims that they believe that Jesus is a great prophet and Messiah and believes in his second coming, yet they would like to make Jesus seem violent and bad as their prophet Muhammed.

I read his book, and Reza Aslan's point is to make Jesus a bas person, and wants to say that the Bible is wrong and Quran is right. Why don't he write book about Muhammed with his picture on the cover of the book?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 AM

995 posts, read 956,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Reza Aslan is simply Anti-Christ. He would like to constantly bash Jesus and Christianity by using same quote (also found on second or third page on his silly book) when Jesus said "Do not think I came to bring peace but a sword". Many people have no clue what Jesus meant with that, and Muslims like Reza Aslan claims that they believe that Jesus is a great prophet and Messiah and believes in his second coming, yet they would like to make Jesus seem violent and bad as their prophet Muhammed.

I read his book, and Reza Aslan's point is to make Jesus a bas person, and wants to say that the Bible is wrong and Quran is right. Why don't he write book about Muhammed with his picture on the cover of the book?

Jesus and the Muslims worship the same immoral tin "God" of terrorism. Christians go to Jesus to move past their own personal sins and then become bigoted towards all other religions and gays, and turn a blind eye to terrorism and genocide committed by their beloved false prophet Moses. YHWH is Allah.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 PM

717 posts, read 648,135 times
Quote:

This would be rubbish!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
Quote:

So Aslan can't write a book about Jesus becaues he's Muslim? Christians write books about Islam all the time, what's the difference?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:

I read his book, and Reza Aslan's point is to make Jesus a bas person, and wants to say that the Bible is wrong and Quran is right.
Aslan is a practicing Muslim, and the official stance about Jesus in the Quran is that he was never crucified. That Aslan asserts that Jesus was, in fact, crucified goes against Islamic notions about Jesus. So no, his point isn't to say the Bible is Wrong and the Quran is right.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Aslan is a practicing Muslim, and the official stance about Jesus in the Quran is that he was never crucified. That Aslan asserts that Jesus was, in fact, crucified goes against Islamic notions about Jesus. So no, his point isn't to say the Bible is Wrong and the Quran is right.
Dah... How could someone deny Jesus crucifixion when Jesus came and died 600 years before Islam and the Quran was founded? Most Muslims I know believe that Jesus was crucified because again they love using the quote proving Jesus is not "God" when he said "Father, Father, Why have you forsaken me?" without knowing the meaning of it and the trinity.

Aslan still bashed Jesus and makes people more questionable after reading his book. Have you read it?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
So Aslan can't write a book about Jesus becaues he's Muslim? Christians write books about Islam all the time, what's the difference?
Of course he can. I never said he cannot. However, he needs to stop making Jesus seem a bad person or prove that the gospel is mostly wrong and blah blah nonsense. Many Muslims claim they love Jesus, but like to bash him in different ways.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
Quote:
Of course he can. I never said he cannot. However, he needs to stop making Jesus seem a bad person or prove that the gospel is mostly wrong and blah blah nonsense. Many Muslims claim they love Jesus, but like to bash him in different ways.
There are books out there out to prove that Muhammad was a bad person and that the Quran is mostly wrong. Why should Christianity be exempt from the same scrutiny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality