Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,827,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
To be honest no matter what people say ~ Christians believe Muslims and Jews will go to hell / Muslims believe that Christians and Jews will go to hell ~ Jews believes that Muslims and Christians will not go to heaven (same as hell even if they say they don't believe in hell)

All Abrahamic religions judge, bash and hate each other in their mind no matter what people or they say unfortunately. Humans are intolerant.
Evey now and again I get the feeling that you are close to grasping that faith in particular religious belief (not necessarily a particular religious organization) is a personal thing (it may be a choice like Woodrow's or it may be just what one is used to) and it is wrongheaded for anyone to say that the abrahamic God is going to subject anyone to some kind of afterlife punishment for having embraced one or other of the abrahamic religions.

To realize that one can believe whatever religion one likes, but not damn the others for having a different one is a great step forward from human failings towards what is more spiritual in humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:39 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,315,110 times
I believe you will not go to "Hell" for following the "wrong" Religion, you will do so for your actions throughout life.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 AM

Then it's based on Works rather than Faith.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM

195 posts, read 245,825 times
Hell is life on earth without morality. Afterlife is your genes being passed down to your descendants. Going to hell means that your descendants will live in a hell on earth due to lack of morality. Those religions which fail to support morality will go to hell. So modern secular culture will go to hell. Most of Christianity will go to hell. Liberal (Reform and "Conservative") Judaism will go to hell. Anabaptist Christianity and Orthodox Judaism will not go to hell. I don't know enough about Islam to judge it.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,677,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Do you think the followers of other religions are all going to hell? Lets say you are Christian. Well if you are not baptized and believe in Jesus Christ Moderator cut: Orphaned, you make people believe hey are going to hell so that they conform to their own region. Hell is just a way to scare people into following. The same way with the Amish and Muslims. The Amish believe that their own people go to hell for all sorts of Moderator cut: Orphaned. But what if you are a totally different religion? Then all of them are going to hell? That is most of the world! Muslims believe they will get 42 virgins in heaven, and probably that christians are going to hell. Christians believe that Muslims are going to hell. This is according to the criteria that their own religions set for going to heaven. So how can you say that your relgion is right. The only reason you are your religion is because you were raised that religion. IF you were raised Jewish you would be Jewish.

BTW, I'm Agnostic/Atheist.

Well, I guess maybe I'll respond to this particular thread, it sounds interesting to say the least. I have always found it interesting that the majority of the world's organized religions seems to have two sides to it, a good side and a not so good side and it seems to use the not so good side to try to get individuals to believe in its beliefs, the fear of something. Now these are just my thoughts... I am Tsalagi, (that would be Cherokee,) and among the Tsalagi, I am a Keetoowah Spiritual Elder, it means I am a keeper of the ancient ceremonies and rituals of my people. I believe in a Creator, I do not believe in what some religions call Hell, to me there is no such place. I do not try to convert anyone to my way of believing, I do not believe that my belief is right for everyone. I believe that everyone should be free to choose their own way of worshiping the Creator, even if it means that you have no belief it all. I do not believe that we have the right to criticize others for their beliefs or non beliefs, it is a personal thing and after all no two persons are exactly alike and no two persons think exactly alike, it's an individual personal choice and should never be forced upon another. I respect others' beliefs, it is their belief. Just like my Islamic Brother, I respect his beliefs or my Christian Brother, I respect his beliefs also, and even my Atheist Brother,who has no belief at all. The one thing that we all have in common is that we're all human beings, we are all members of the same race of human beings, regardless of the color of our skin or our differences in languages or our different religious or political beliefs, were all the same, we're all human beings and should be treated and respected as such. This is the way of the Keetoowah, when our journey ends, we leave nothing behind but our students and our memories.osay

Last edited by june 7th; 08-19-2013 at 05:22 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I do not believe that we have the right to criticize others for their beliefs or non beliefs,
That's very admirable.

Truly.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-11-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,906,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I do not believe that we have the right to criticize others for their beliefs or non beliefs
But we all do it.

I criticize people who believe the first sentence in Chapter 31 of the Book of Numbers is true.

You criticize people who believe their European ancestors were right to come to America, push the Native Americans off their land, and bring in a bunch of African slaves.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 AM

It seems to me that it is perfectly valid - indeed needful - to discuss these things. The Spanish Conquest, The American expansion, the conquest of india, the opium wars, the muslim empire - whether or not some people might prefer that it not be debated.

Making these debates a matter of personal denigration is another thing altogether. The treatment of Joan of arc might have been shabby, but making that a point of bashing anyone today is going too far. And that is why the great atrocity count is invalid (as well as irrelevant) in the religion debate.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,315,110 times
Ummm Allah, Jehovah, and Yahweh(YHWH) are the SAME God, Abraham's God.

Religion itself hasn't killed ONE person, it is the distorting teaching of those Religions that have killed millions throughout the centuries, and all three major religions are guilty.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,235,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Do you think the followers of other religions are all going to hell? Lets say you are Christian. Well if you are not baptized and believe in Jesus Christ Moderator cut: Orphaned, you make people believe hey are going to hell so that they conform to their own region. Hell is just a way to scare people into following. The same way with the Amish and Muslims. The Amish believe that their own people go to hell for all sorts of [/mod]. But what if you are a totally different religion? Then all of them are going to hell? That is most of the world! Muslims believe they will get 42 virgins in heaven, and probably that christians are going to hell. Christians believe that Muslims are going to hell. This is according to the criteria that their own religions set for going to heaven. So how can you say that your relgion is right. The only reason you are your religion is because you were raised that religion. IF you were raised Jewish you would be Jewish.

BTW, I'm Agnostic/Atheist.
Jesus said he was the Way, the Truth, and the Life -- and that without him we would not be able to get to God. I'll go with what he says.

It doesn't please me to think that all Muslims will go to Hell...but that's what Jesus said.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-19-2013 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality