Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM

103 posts, read 92,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
So what's this to mean, if you don't believe in the ToE, you can't perform good empirical science in laboratories? Science won't advance because the ToE isn't regarded as the holy grail it claims itself to be?
I think the point is, if you are rational enough to be capable of performing good empirical science in labs then evolution would not be an issue - because it IS good empirical science.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 22,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Thank you! The god hypothesis, as far as I'm concerned, is just a weak one, with no empirical evidence to back it up. While it's certainly comforting to think about, the reality is that "he" probably doesn't exist.
Moderator cut: offensive how can he not exist? Think of it this way. How is it possible that somehow randomly an atom appeared. Then another one randomly appeared. Then somehow a one celled organism appeared. Then it evolved into a human and so on. That isn't possible! A creator has to exist. It is like how a watch is made, there has to be a creator. The materials can not just randomly appear and then by chance put themselves together. There has to be someone to make the materials and put them all together and that person is God. Our LORD!!!! He loves you and you should choose to love him back. Read the bible a little and you will understand how much he loves you. I don't even know you but if i make it into heaven i dont want to be looking down at you in hell; you suffering; i love you even though i have never met you i don't want you to suffer just please trust me and God and believe me.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-03-2007 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Quote:
How is it possible that somehow randomly an atom appeared.
Well, according to quantum mechanics, particles pop into existence all the time. And if you think about theories like 'brane theory' or 'supersymmetry,' the whole question of time and 'causality' isn't so simple.

You're probably thinking of time as a straight line, in which things 'happen,' and things 'cause' other things. But what if that's only the case because that is all your brain has been able to evolve to process at the moment? We can imagine a radically different universe or multiverse in which causality, as such, would not even exist.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallnmighty543 View Post
how can he not exist? Think of it this way. How is it possible that somehow randomly an atom appeared. Then another one randomly appeared. Then somehow a one celled organism appeared. Then it evolved into a human and so on. That isn't possible! A creator has to exist. It is like how a watch is made, there has to be a creator. The materials can not just randomly appear and then by chance put themselves together. There has to be someone to make the materials and put them all together and that person is God. Our LORD!!!! He loves you and you should choose to love him back. Read the bible a little and you will understand how much he loves you. I don't even know you but if i make it into heaven i dont want to be looking down at you in hell; you suffering; i love you even though i have never met you i don't want you to suffer just please trust me and God and believe me.

Please learn some science. You're engaging in wishful thinking.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-03-2007 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallnmighty543 View Post
how can he not exist? Think of it this way. How is it possible that somehow randomly an atom appeared. Then another one randomly appeared. Then somehow a one celled organism appeared. Then it evolved into a human and so on. That isn't possible! A creator has to exist. It is like how a watch is made, there has to be a creator. The materials can not just randomly appear and then by chance put themselves together. There has to be someone to make the materials and put them all together and that person is God. Our LORD!!!! He loves you and you should choose to love him back. Read the bible a little and you will understand how much he loves you. I don't even know you but if i make it into heaven i dont want to be looking down at you in hell; you suffering; i love you even though i have never met you i don't want you to suffer just please trust me and God and believe me.

I suggest you watch this highly educational video and pay particular attention the segments on "strawman argument" and "argument from personal incredulity"

YouTube - Top 25 Creationist Fallacies

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-03-2007 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post
I think the point is, if you are rational enough to be capable of performing good empirical science in labs then evolution would not be an issue - because it IS good empirical science.
IMO, no, the ToE is NOT empirical science. It is origins or historical science. What is observed today is extrapolated into the past to say what some believe happened in the past to bring us to today. It is based upon presuppositions and assumptions, not the same as observable, repeatable, testable empirical science.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
IMO, no, the ToE is NOT empirical science. It is origins or historical science. What is observed today is extrapolated into the past to say what some believe happened in the past to bring us to today. It is based upon presuppositions and assumptions, not the same as observable, repeatable, testable empirical science.

Mams1559, you are obviously entitled to your beliefs, but evolution is undeniable. Why do you fight it so hard?

The complex body of principles that explain evolutionary change is a theory in the same sense as "quantum theory" in physics or "atomic theory" in chemistry: it has been developed from evidence, tested, and refined, and it accounts for literally thousands of observations made throughout the entirety of biological science and paleontology.

It has withstood innumerable tests and attempts to disprove it, but it is still being refined, modified in the light of new knowledge, and extended to account for newly discovered phenomena.

Evolution is a fact. All but the most trivial facts begin as untested hypotheses—such as the hypothesis that the earth revolves around the sun. They acquire "facthood" as more and more evidence accrues in their favor, and as they withstand attempts to refute them. The evidence and attempt at refutation may take many forms besides simple observations; indeed, the most powerful evidence is not mere observations, but conformity to predictions that the hypothesis makes about what we should see if the hypothesis is true or false. We do not observe the earth making a circuit around the sun; we accept this hypothesis because of the numerous, verified astronomical observations—and more recently observations from spacecraft—that conform to the predictions of the hypothesis.

Biologists accept as fact that all organisms, living and extinct, have descended, with innumerable changes, from one or at most a few original forms of life. For Darwin in 1859, this was a hypothesis, for which he provided abundant evidence from comparative anatomy, embryology, behavior, agriculture, paleontology, and the geographic distributions of organisms. Since that time, all of the many thousands of observations in each of these areas have supported Darwin's core hypothesis. To these observations has been added copious evidence that Darwin could hardly have dreamed of, especially from paleontology and molecular biology. A century's accumulation of such evidence establishes descent, with modification, from common ancestors as a fact of science. How we explain this fact—what the principles and causes of it may be—is the theory of evolutionary process, parts of which are subject to various amounts of scientific debate, modification, and extension.

No scientific hypothesis other than common descent with modification can account for and make predictions about the unity, diversity, and properties of living organisms. No other hypothesis of the origin of biological diversity is supported by such overwhelming evidence, and no competing hypothesis spawns such richness of scientific study and has as many implications for the biological sciences and their applications to societal needs.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
IMO, no, the ToE is NOT empirical science. It is origins or historical science. What is observed today is extrapolated into the past to say what some believe happened in the past to bring us to today.
All I can say is, get an education. There's quite a bit more to it than that.

Quote:
It is based upon presuppositions and assumptions, not the same as observable, repeatable, testable empirical science.
This actually more accurately describes the creation "science" that young earthers blindly accept.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,759,626 times
Well...Obviously this will be an endless arguement. Evolution enables even the tiniest of organisms to adapt and change course throughout time. But sometimes these organisms are unable to adapt and change due to human intervention. Destruction of habitats by ruthless humans like pubic hair are even of concern. People!! We are about to lose a very close friend due to bikini wax!
Dutch natural history museum unable to locate elusive crab louse for its collection - International Herald Tribune

Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Saying, "I support evolution" is a lot like saying, "I support gravity." Denying it won't make it any less true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality