Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 AM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God. He was recently interviewed regarding his view of God, and the Bible. I wonder why the coward didn't have the guts to say what he thought of Allah.

"In a recent Al-Jazeerah interview, Richard Dawkins was asked his views on God. He argued that the god of “the Old Testament” is “hideous” and “a monster”, and reiterated his claim from The God Delusion that the God of the Torah is the most unpleasant character “in fiction”.

As you can see, Dawkins has no trouble attacking the Hebrew God in a most direct and uncompromising manner. No atheist wallflower he.

Asked if he thought the same of the God of the Koran, Dawkins ducked the question, saying: “Well, um, the God of the Koran I don’t know so much about.”"

Brave atheist ducks the question on Islam | Public Secrets
First of all this is nothing more than a blog...Phineas Fahrquar carries no more weight in the matter than you do...

Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM

20,049 posts, read 13,516,887 times
Quote:
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God.
How much money? Sources? How does he limit purchasers to "atheists" and how does he determine if they "hate god"? Which god?

Are you quite certain that a lot of theists, doubters, agnostics and religion-friendly or religion-indifferent unbelievers don't purchase his books? And that all god-haters purchase his books? I haven't bought any of them myself, for example.
Quote:
He was recently interviewed regarding his view of God, and the Bible. I wonder why the coward didn't have the guts to say what he thought of Allah.

"In a recent Al-Jazeerah interview, Richard Dawkins was asked his views on God. He argued that the god of “the Old Testament” is “hideous” and “a monster”, and reiterated his claim from The God Delusion that the God of the Torah is the most unpleasant character “in fiction”.

As you can see, Dawkins has no trouble attacking the Hebrew God in a most direct and uncompromising manner. No atheist wallflower he.

Asked if he thought the same of the God of the Koran, Dawkins ducked the question, saying: “Well, um, the God of the Koran I don’t know so much about.”"
And your point would be?? I don't speak about things I haven't researched either. And if I were a public figure I'd be circumspect what I said about Allah unless I were ready to pull a Salmon Rushdie and have my comments dominate the next few years of my life. Whether or not Dawkins wants to do that is his business, not yours or mine.

Aside from all that, none of this has anything to do with the (il)legitimacy of Dawkin's criticisms / comments about Christianity, which can and should be discussed on their own merits or lack thereof. If you feel the need to assassinate his character over what he doesn't say about a version of god you don't even believe in, then I have to assume you have no substantive rebuttal at all for what he does say about the version of god you DO believe in.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,219,395 times
This thread is silly as the predominant religion in the UK and its former colonies was Christianity and not Islam. My knowledge of Islam is sparse as too is Vizio's.

It is pretty self evident that Islam and Judaism and Christianity are all much of a muchness. Equally mythical and equally untrue. Just like there are many ex Christians, there are many ex-Islamists.

The common denominator is learning stuff and rote chanting their respective creeds.

Looking at Islam, and its barbaric nature is a mere reflection of what early Judaic beliefs and Christian beliefs may have been like. Thank the FSM that we have secular laws that prevent woos from enacting their theocratic archaic laws which if were possible, they would do. History has a funny way of repeating itself.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Well I have not read his book, but what he is quoted saying about god of the old testiment sound like he knows something about the stories in the bible. And I would agree with his perception.
Which has nothing to do with his knowledge of Christianity.
I have read his book. I wasn't impressed. He's not a great mind when it comes to theology. It's pretty amateurish. He doesn't understand Christianity, or Judaism--based on his writing. But he does like to spout off about it.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,934,068 times
Quote:
Anyone with any amount of knowledge will quite readily see that he hasn't really studied Christianity simply by reading his book.
Do you realize that you have decided Dawkins HAS read the Koran, and is lying about it, and in the same breath, so to speak, you have decided that he HAS NOT read the Bible and is lying about that?

And you have further decided that ALL athiests hate "god", something which is impossible because a person would have to believe something exists in order to hate it. So we're hating on something that we are sure does not exist.

Better stop digging before you completely bury yourself. wow.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,680,018 times
Quote:
I have read his book. I wasn't impressed. He's not a great mind when it comes to theology. It's pretty amateurish. He doesn't understand Christianity, or Judaism--based on his writing. But he does like to spout off about it.
Of course you would not be impressed as it goes against what you believe.
However, everyone is entitled to thier opinion and has the freedom to express it.
Very little of what is in the bible impresses me. There is some gems of wisdom found within, but as a whole body of work, it is rather dry and depressing.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Do you realize that you have decided Dawkins HAS read the Koran, and is lying about it, and in the same breath, so to speak, you have decided that he HAS NOT read the Bible and is lying about that?
I have made the decision that Dawkins doesn't know much about either the bible or the koran. He spouts off on the Bible because he doesn't fear the backlash that he would get if he spouted off about the koran--specifically as he's being interviewed by al-jazeera.
Quote:
And you have further decided that ALL athiests hate "god", something which is impossible because a person would have to believe something exists in order to hate it. So we're hating on something that we are sure does not exist.
Yes. ALL atheists hate God. The bible says it, and I believe it. Atheism is not an intellectual position. It's a position of emotion. If you want to claim you don't know if there's a god--great. You're not an atheist--you're an agnostic. But to say there IS NOT ONE is simply intellectually dishonest.

The fact that many of them are here on this forum antagonizing religious people proves that. I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster...but I don't go seeking out forums devoted to it and make fun of people.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,296,866 times
Quote:
Anyone with any amount of knowledge will quite readily see that he hasn't really studied Christianity simply by reading his book.
Says the person who comments on archaeology, while using only the bible as proof.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
How the heck do you hate something that doesn't exist?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,296,866 times
Quote:
I have made the decision that Dawkins doesn't know much about either the bible or the koran. He spouts off on the Bible because he doesn't fear the backlash that he would get if he spouted off about the koran--specifically as he's being interviewed by al-jazeera.

Yes. ALL atheists hate God. The bible says it, and I believe it. Atheism is not an intellectual position. It's a position of emotion. If you want to claim you don't know if there's a god--great. You're not an atheist--you're an agnostic. But to say there IS NOT ONE is simply intellectually dishonest.

The fact that many of them are here on this forum antagonizing religious people proves that. I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster...but I don't go seeking out forums devoted to it and make fun of people.

Which is why people with less education/intelligence are apt to believe, and people with the flip are apt to not believe? They are actually correct you know. The burden of proof lies not on them disproving God, but you proving it. So since there is no evidence for a creator they can make that claim. The people who hold a position of emotion are not the atheists, bit the religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.