Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,974,224 times

Advertisements

Why American teenagers are having much less sex - The Washington Post

Although the article doesn't mention it, certainly one can draw that conclusion as there's no question that younger people are no longer as religious now as they were 30 years ago.

As the article indicates, there is less teenage sex happening now, by a significant margin, as it was before. I think most of us are surprised to hear that, as the popular and mainstream media certainly seem to indicate anything but.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is what the definition of sex is now a days. We all know that Bill Clinton certainly had a different interpretation of what oral sex was as opposed to probably 98 percent of the population. My hope is that the teenagers that are out there don't take bill Clintons perspective, but take the perspective of the other 98%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,284,073 times
Another example of you attacking religion. Yay for you.

In the first paragraph or 2 it defined it as "intercourse". That would lead me to believe that they are doing things Bill Clinton would indeed not consider "sex". It also appears that they are scaring the crap out of the kids by telling them they'll not only get pregnant, but they'll get a disease that could kill them.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Another example of you attacking religion. Yay for you.

In the first paragraph or 2 it defined it as "intercourse". That would lead me to believe that they are doing things Bill Clinton would indeed not consider "sex". It also appears that they are scaring the crap out of the kids by telling them they'll not only get pregnant, but they'll get a disease that could kill them.
Well, you cannot deny that the religious are declining in the US of A.

What this article discusses, that teenagers are having less sex, probably surprised most of us.

I'm just connecting the dots that less religion equals less sex. Let's go dwelve into this little bit more. First of all that adultery site, Ashley Madison, which just got hacked, had the highest percentage of adults in the Bible Belt. Not in the liberal Northwest or northeast. Second of all divorce rates in the Bible Belt are at least as high if not higher than the rest of the country, and teenage pregnancies are higher than the rest of US in that bastion of Southern Baptist conference area.

So although it is only me making the assertion, I suspect there's enough evidence that would make that assertion true.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,904,342 times
Sex is a big hassle for kids these days... you have to get off the couch or bed, climb out of your parent's basement, bum a ride because you don't have a driver's license or car, pick up a member of the opposite sex, stop by the store for some rubbers and take forever trying to decide which one of the umpteen options to buy, then finally find a quiet, private out of the way place to go at it.

It's much easier to just swap pics of eachother's junk and call it a day.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Sex is a big hassle for kids these days... you have to get off the couch or bed, climb out of your parent's basement, bum a ride because you don't have a driver's license or car, pick up a member of the opposite sex, stop by the store for some rubbers and take forever trying to decide which one of the umpteen options to buy, then finally find a quiet, private out of the way place to go at it.

Lol... That's funny.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:56 PM

18,566 posts, read 9,258,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Back in my day we had to walk uphill through snow to get sex.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 PM

26,236 posts, read 22,402,522 times
I think the operative word was "intercourse": Oral Sex Behaviors among Teens | Child Trends and yeah, "Clinton-style".

If you go back in time when religion played a significant part in people's lives, I think you'll find that teens having sex was much lower than it is today so making the assumption that less religion equals less teenage sex doesn't fly.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:58 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,364,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Back in my day we had to walk uphill through snow to get sex.
And it was uphill both ways and that was not addressing the diffculties in the winter.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,284,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Well, you cannot deny that the religious are declining in the US of A.

What this article discusses, that teenagers are having less sex, probably surprised most of us.

I'm just connecting the dots that less religion equals less sex.
Correlation does not equal causality.
Quote:

Let's go dwelve into this little bit more. First of all that adultery site, Ashley Madison, which just got hacked, had the highest percentage of adults in the Bible Belt. Not in the liberal Northwest or northeast. Second of all divorce rates in the Bible Belt are at least as high if not higher than the rest of the country, and teenage pregnancies are higher than the rest of US in that bastion of Southern Baptist conference area.

So although it is only me making the assertion, I suspect there's enough evidence that would make that assertion true.
Again...correlation does not equal causality. The fact that the same type of person that would be interested in both do not mean that religion causes that type of person.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,755,095 times
The most likely cause for a reduction in teenage sex and teenage pregnancy is greater education and outreach. These things are generally obstructed by fundamentalist Christians, so when fundamentalists are declining in political power, greater education and outreach can been made available, and so society can reap the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality