Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
You said that God said that it was "good" to beat a slave. I'd really like to see that verse. The one you quoted here doesn't say that. You have yet to show me that verse. Or were you lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
I predict the word "context" will soon appear....

Old 10-26-2013, 02:52 PM

20,103 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You said that God said that it was "good" to beat a slave. I'd really like to see that verse. The one you quoted here doesn't say that. You have yet to show me that verse. Or were you lying?
If he is not to be punished when the slave survives for a day or two, then at least it is not bad (worthy of punishment). That which is not bad, is generally regarded as good, is it not?

I have never understood this passage. Apparently you can beat a slave to within an inch of their life, and it's even okay if they die, so long as they linger in agony for at least 24 hours. This does not strike me as something that god ought to let go unpunished if he thinks it's bad. And it is odd that god was mired in bronze age thinking, that slavery was even something that a devout person of faith should even engage in. Unless of course he is the invention of bronze age authors with bronze age assumptions.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:54 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,703,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If it's not bad, it's obviously good, since the owner shouldn't be punished for it.

But, might makes right, so anything the Bible God says, goes.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I predict the word "context" will soon appear....
No...I'd like to see him actually back up what he said.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If it's not bad, it's obviously good, since the owner shouldn't be punished for it.
You're making assumptions that the text doesn't make.
Quote:
But, might makes right, so anything the Bible God says, goes.
Are you going to retract your statement? God never said it was good. You've been shown that he didn't. If you continue to persist in the statement it's dishonest.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:10 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,408,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If he is not to be punished when the slave survives for a day or two, then at least it is not bad (worthy of punishment). That which is not bad, is generally regarded as good, is it not?

I have never understood this passage. Apparently you can beat a slave to within an inch of their life, and it's even okay if they die, so long as they linger in agony for at least 24 hours. This does not strike me as something that god ought to let go unpunished if he thinks it's bad. And it is odd that god was mired in bronze age thinking, that slavery was even something that a devout person of faith should even engage in. Unless of course he is the invention of bronze age authors with bronze age assumptions.
We're talking about a "God" who wanted animal sacrifices and found the aroma of burnt flesh pleasing.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:16 PM

20,103 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
We're talking about a "God" who wanted animal sacrifices and found the aroma of burnt flesh pleasing.
I take your point, but I find the aroma of burnt flesh pleasing myself, particularly a good hangar steak ;-) Although I stick to locally sourced meat which hopefully was slaughtered humanely.

I'm far more concerned about god looking the other way when a slave is severely beaten and fails to prohibit owning people as property.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,944,335 times
Want proof? This is as good as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6X...e_gdata_player

Old 10-26-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Want proof? This is as good as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6X...e_gdata_player
lol....sounds like atheistic logic to me!

Christian: Is that wrong?
Atheist: Yes!
Christian: Why?
Atheist: Because I said so! It's just wrong!
Atheist: Because it is!
Atheist: Err....umm.....You're stupid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality