Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times

Advertisements

Someone said, sorry can't remember who, that he only had the
New Testament for info on Jesus....I immediately thought, "Funny,
I get my information from all over the place!"
Ha! (This is one reason why this is not posted in the Christian Section, shh, they
don't want to know any of this...)

In fact, I am reading a book now by the most famous NDEr, ha, so famous
Anne Rice found him to write his Forward...Howard Storm.
(Howard is famous mostly bec he was a big atheist, as opposed to a small one, lol.)
What he encountered is quite different than a lot of accounts.
He can be found telling a short version on Youtubes...not as detailed as his book, tho.
"My Descent Into Death". And yes, he meets Jesus.
He's not an atheist anymore.

His "death", btw, is the most excruciating I have ever heard...makes me
not want to have a duodenal rupture leaking acid in my gut in France on the weekend!!!

And this is ONE of the many sources of hearing from Jesus....afterall, he didn't just
vanish...he is alive and well on the Other Side...he makes many appearances,
talks to many people...I won't mention where, here first off, to me they are
quite special...it's hard for me to have rocks thrown at things I hold dear;
too many professional cynics for me.

Anyone, wanting to know some of the many other sources can ask I can
send you a private message. In many, he clarifies the NT...and it always rings true...
he tells "the rest of the story"....fills in some blanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:10 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
There is a colony of moon men living on the dark side of the lunar surface.

There, now you have a"source" for that.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,160 times
I am sorry.... but correct me if I am wrong. The meanderings of people who were sick, dying, or otherwise out of their rational mind is being used to substantiate the claim that one specific bronze aged peasant existed for whom there lacks any form of corroborating evidence?

OP there is zero substantiation for any claim that NDEs are relatively normal experiences generated by the brain under stress. The clue is in the name. NEAR death experience. That is: An experience someone had while close to death, but NOT dead.

No experience had, or claimed to be had by people wanting to sell books, while near death corroborates any claims you want to make about the Middle East during the Bronze age. Any more than the quite real dream I had last night that the Muffin Man runs a convenience store on the Moon in any way substantiates the idea he actually does.

The OP is essentially saying "I know I am right because some people have dreamt the same thing" and acting like we should take this seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
he makes many appearances, talks to many people
So do little green men. And Elvis. Not sure what you think your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
to me they are quite special...it's hard for me to have rocks thrown at things I hold dear
That is called "Selection Bias". You already have decided Jesus is real and some kind of god. As such the testimony, no matter how dubious, that supports your conclusion is "quite special".

There is however no argument, evidence, data or reasoning on offer to suggest that if this man Jesus ever existed that he was anything but another of a long line of preachers that existed at the time, and very much human.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
No rational person would accept the uncorroborated account of such a personal experience as evidence of anything.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,938 times
What are near death experiences
Many people on their deathbeds report seeing a long corridor with a brilliant light at the end of it. Could it be heaven? Probably not. New research shows that these near-death visions may be linked to intense electrical surges that cause "hyper real" thoughts in our brains.

A team of researchers found that during "clinical death," rats exhibit a surge in brain activity, with features similar to a highly aroused human brain.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
So sorry, I see there have been responses...only saw one.

One of the things I could add...Jesus has shed so much light on things
that were kinda told half way...I believe that is no one's fault...they didn't have tape
recorders and some things are not explained well.
Imagine one sentence left out how that could enhance the understanding of, say, the Sermon on the Mount.
Why this is such an abomination for some to imagine, I don't understand.
"Stuff happens", ya know? Things were deemed unimportant or just forgotten
by the time
quotes of Jesus' were finally wrtten. I mean, come on.

Naturally, we have our own radar...I would call the Gift of Discernment...that's why I said...
it "rings true." You can sense it for yourself.

Jesus is alive and well, along with John, Daniel, Paul, Constantine...and they care about us.
There are, regrettfully, many misunderstandings that can be explained clearer, reading other sources.

In each NDE, near death exp, I have read with Jesus in it...it is consistent with the next.
Forgiveness, kindness, compassion, healing, comforting and love abound.

(Nothing like what I see here on this forum.)

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,938 times
What about the NDEs that have no white light experiences?

You are simply seeking affirmation of your made up or accepted or indoctrinated beliefs and this has already been pointed out as confirmation bias numerous times.

If you choose to ignore the information given by posters that does indeed explain the NDEs then you are simply being disingenuous by asking these questions in the first place.

I am sure all of what you share is very real to you but it is only real to you and no one else.

It pretty much goes in line with they typical theist approach of accepting a conclusion, either one furnished to you by someone else or you personally and then seeking "evidence" to support that conclusion. Any time one does this, you will be confronted with other arguments which you should either investigate if you are a seeker of truth or ignore as they make you premise uncomfortable.

Usually people that think, look at the evidence and sees where that leads which is how it should be.

Imagine if everyone agreed with you? How will you ever learn if you are wrong?

The only reason NDEs are now so prolific is that medical science rescues people from death like simple drownings and mild heart attacks. The brain takes ~7-15 minutes to die after it is starved of blood and oxygen. Even with medicine, assuming CPR is applied, there is only an hour of opportunity till the paramedics arrive and apply the paddles to restart the heart.

All of this is ignored and only what may appear as a vision is used by theists these days as some indication of something happening after death. ALL of these cases, the patient was never dead. Clinical death is final.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
NDEs can't be spiritual in nature. Atheists insist. If NDEs were spiritual then atheism would face evidence which would threaten its core belief. So atheists feel obligated to explain it away.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM

33,526 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
NDEs can't be spiritual in nature. Atheists insist. If NDEs were spiritual then atheism would face evidence which would threaten its core belief. So atheists feel obligated to explain it away.
This atheist has had what you like to call an NDE....It happened a few years ago when a blood clot stopped my heart from doing it's job....Visions galore, but there was nothing religious or spiritual about it.....Why do theists, when they experience something they do not understand always throw god into the mix?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Do you have any evidence that NDEs are spiritual? And by "spiritual", do you mean some sort of supernatural thing is going on? If you do, please share. I will believe in god when I have some evidence to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality