Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

I believe the problem lies in still thinking in dualistic terms.
Good? Evil? Up? Down?
There is only One Power...as far as I'm concerned...not two.
It's all One 'Thing'.
That is hard for the human mind to get easily...thus, the Buddhists have Koans**
to help us go beyond logic....Yogi's have meditation to still that logical mind.
The Zen Buddhists , I think, have you practice being the detached observer...Native
Americans had you fast, do a sweat and take peyote to transcend this limiting mind.

**Oh, example of a koan...."What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

I gave all your cute posts reps, btw. It was me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I believe the problem lies in still thinking in dualistic terms.
Good? Evil? Up? Down?
There is only One Power...as far as I'm concerned...not two.
It's all One 'Thing'.
That is hard for the human mind to get easily...thus, the Buddhists have Koans**
to help us go beyond logic....Yogi's have meditation to still that logical mind.
The Zen Buddhists , I think, have you practice being the detached observer...Native
Americans had you fast, do a sweat and take peyote to transcend this limiting mind.

**Oh, example of a koan...."What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

I gave all your cute posts reps, btw. It was me.
Was that for me, Miss Hepburn?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

Islam --> Satan wasn't an Angel, but was instead something else, i.e. a Genie. In Islam's main book, Satan says that God seduced him into his choices as God wanted things to be the way they are. Satan is often a liar though; who knows why God would allow a quote from him into his Holy Scriptures (Book of Job, etc).

Judaism --> Satan is still an Angel (good v.s. evil barely matter when compared to God's command and ultimate control). Who is to care about good or evil when God is quoted to have created both of them in Judaism's main book? But if you want things from God then God is going to want things back. Satan is there to follow God's commands and work God's harsher magic upon the Earth since for some reason God is sometimes unwilling or incapable of doing it himself.

Christianity --> Angels weren't good and holy until Satan's rebellion separated the bad from the good, and God for some reason needed that instead of having created a third less angels in the first place. That or Angels aren't good and holy, they have free-will like humans, except they enjoy heaven unlike us. The Trinity works in mysterious ways.

Atheism --> Angels don't exist, some people just believe in them because they refuse to accept it otherwise, and religions want your time and money.
Continuing...

Buddhism --> Angels aren't all good nor holy and need to find Enlightenment to really perfect themselves. Angels are simply an "incarnation state" of powerful beings and are living in the deluded bliss of their own lust and oppression from the gods that enslave or influence such angels into working for the god's desires. In this way, Angels are Demons are one and the same class of beings (Immortal Servant Spirits) who work for the purposes of their respective immortal lords, i.e. different gods.

Jainism --> Angels are equal to humans since all sentient beings are equal. Angels must have had free will to turn if one of them DID turn even though it was an Angel. (Perhaps this is not the complete theological view in modern Jainism, as I haven't dwelled into it deeply).

Hinduism --> Angels are good and holy because that is what defines an Angel; although they are simply an "incarnation state" and need to seek Liberation through fully following their Purpose and aligning with the objective and impersonal Cosmic Law, an aspect of the Creator-Sustainer-Omega God. Angels can, of course, fail to achieve their purpose or even choose the very opposite of it and thus they would stop being Angels.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth321 View Post
Since god is supposed to be love and lucifer and all angels were good and holy was it god that changed lucifer's nature from good to pure evil?How else can one go from being pure at heart to being all hateful and unable to Love or reason?Satan knows that he is no match for god and at one time he was loved by god and considered family you would think that satan would have at least tried to reason with god or make amends with his father if he hadthe ability to do so. Only one or two things can explain satans disposition first god had to change him and make pure evil taking away his ability to love or be loved or god is constantly inflicting satan with pain which would cause anyone to hate everything and everyone.EITHER way it appears that god is the creator of the evil that exist outside of mankind and indirectly the reason why people fall into temptation or the wilds of the devil.what do you guys think?
Satan is not an entity...HaSatan is a Jewish metaphor for the wicked desires of the flesh...The desires that must be brought under control...Lucifer, on the other hand, may be an entity, however, the details of him that are so well known by Chistianity mostly come from the Kabbala, specifically the Zohar, I think...

Old 12-31-2013, 05:23 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth321 View Post
Since god is supposed to be love and lucifer and all angels were good and holy was it god that changed lucifer's nature from good to pure evil?How else can one go from being pure at heart to being all hateful and unable to Love or reason?Satan knows that he is no match for god and at one time he was loved by god and considered family you would think that satan would have at least tried to reason with god or make amends with his father if he hadthe ability to do so. Only one or two things can explain satans disposition first god had to change him and make pure evil taking away his ability to love or be loved or god is constantly inflicting satan with pain which would cause anyone to hate everything and everyone.EITHER way it appears that god is the creator of the evil that exist outside of mankind and indirectly the reason why people fall into temptation or the wilds of the devil.what do you guys think?

I would say that angels have a choice as does man to do good or evil , Lucifer chose to do evil he wanted to be God, take over the reins. be cunning and deceptive. There is no forgiveness for angels as there is for mankind so Lucifer became a fallen angel a powerful angel who became satan in his fallen nature as did 1/3 of the angels.

Satan is a powerful force that roams about in the world and tries to take down mankind as he is a tempter to man and knows his time is limited here on Earth as he will try to win away souls from the Lord.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I would say that angels have a choice as does man to do good or evil , Lucifer chose to do evil he wanted to be God, take over the reins. be cunning and deceptive. There is no forgiveness for angels as there is for mankind so Lucifer became a fallen angel a powerful angel who became satan in his fallen nature as did 1/3 of the angels.

Satan is a powerful force that roams about in the world and tries to take down mankind as he is a tempter to man and knows his time is limited here on Earth as he will try to win away souls from the Lord.

Where does it say in the bible that Lucifer wanted to be God?...In fact, where does it say that he led 1/3 of the angels into rebellion?...

Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:

This is all just anthropomorphizing the classic battle between good and evil.

It's much harder, especially for the young, to grasp abstract concepts, but if you give good and evil names and faces and human characteristics, well ... it's much easier to be afraid of Satan than it is an abstract concept. So we have "the Devil" wandering the world looking to do evil (muhahahaha!) and God sitting around doing nothing about it. Well, that's because he can't, because there will always be evil as there will always be good. One side can never completely destroy the other.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:

Perry, you're still young. When I was your age I too was infiltrated with all this satan and 1/3 angels kicked out of heaven and prophecy and rapture and tribulation nonsense. Study, don't be afraid to to read things that will educate on the real truth of how all this biblical mythology came about and if God grants you the years to get to the age of some of us "more enlightened" members you too will begin to open your eyes.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Angels were given free will. Satan is blinded by pride.

Last edited by daylux; 12-31-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Angels were given free will. Satan is blinded by pride.
Pride is one the biggest obstacles to control and subservience. It's THE reason why religion focuses so heavily upon the dangers of pride. The priesthood has always wanted humanity to be blubbering milquetoasts devoid of any self-respect or dignity. That way they can move in with their religious doctrine and dogma and brainwash you with it - and without pride, you are defenseless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality