Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
[/color][/color]

Completely wrong.

Even more completely wrong.

Why would one turn to other humans who created religion instead of turning to God alone who created everything?
Skip the human middle man and go directly to the one true God who is the source of all that is believed on pure faith and does not have to be proven, tangible or seen.
At an absolute bare minimum, if you align yourself with the tenets of any of the Abrahamic faiths, you're the one who is wrong.

In just about every religious text there is in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, there is a concern for supporting the corporate nature of faith, for people who take that faith seriously want to share it and support one another in it. As one example, if you adhere to the Christian faith, there are numerous writings in scripture that not only discuss why it is important for Christians to gather together, but how they are to conduct themselves in corporate worship (Acts 20:28; Ephesians 5:25; Romans 12:5; 1 Corinthians 10:17; 12:12-27; Ephesians 1:23; 4:12; 5:30; Colossians 1:18, 24; and Hebrews 13:3). Christ Himself was a faithful attendee at synagogue, despite the fact that he did not necessarily agree with the Jewish leadership of the age. And there are similar requirements in the Old Testament and the Koran. In Buddhism, weekly worship in individual, but corporately worship at important days in their calendar at the temple. Hinduism, less so, but congregational life still revolves around the temple. In other words, in all the world's major religion, community plays a very important part in the life of its adherents in terms of worship, spiritual guidance, or the unifying celebration of festivals and other important rites.

To me, the "skip the human middle man" is a rather revealing comment, because it speaks to a sense of hubris. It is essentially saying, "I am smarter and wiser than all the traditions, theology, and great thinkers that embody this particular faith to which I'm attracted. I will choose some petty reason to carp about it in order to justify not getting out of bed on Sunday morning."

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-02-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Wrong. I follow no books, or rituals. I attend no meetings or services.
What is your "spirituality?" How does it manifest itself?

Even if all you do is walk out in nature and you do that on a regular basis to "clear yourself" or "center yourself," then it can be considered a practice. It's not a formal ritual but it is a practice. Same thing.

Now, if you just make some stuff up as you go along, the real question would be how would your actions qualify as "spiritual?" Just because you say so? So, if someone eats toast and jelly on Tuesday mornings, they can randomly call that "spiritual?"

As to the other point, I guess you would agree that to those that require "proof," religion and spirituality are equally unprovable. Hence, they are the same in that respect.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
I used to say that I was "spiritual"; it sounds so meaningful. And then one day I was thinking about it and I said to myself, "What the @#$% is "spiritual"?

And I couldn't find a satisfactory definition, so I don't say that anymore.
I just am what I am.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Using the phrase "I am spiritual but not religious" is just a mental/emotional cop out. It's all the same thing.

Wrong, not the same thing and most of us do not use an "excuse" for much of anything

When applied, religion and spirituality serve the same purpose and function in the adherent's life. They both involve a "practice," have texts, go to meetings, etc.

Wrong again but I won't take the time to explain it because I doubt you really want to know my truth

Folks who don't like religion because the existence of God can't be proven? Guess what, most of the "spiritual" stuff can't be proven either.
Wrong for the third time.........I really hope you do not play baseball.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
At an absolute bare minimum, if you align yourself with the tenets of any of the Abrahamic faiths, you're the one who is wrong.

In just about every religious text there is in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, there is a concern for supporting the corporate nature of faith, for people who take that faith seriously want to share it and support one another in it. As one example, if you adhere to the Christian faith, there are numerous writings in scripture that not only discuss why it is important for Christians to gather together, but how they are to conduct themselves in corporate worship (Acts 20:28; Ephesians 5:25; Romans 12:5; 1 Corinthians 10:17; 12:12-27; Ephesians 1:23; 4:12; 5:30; Colossians 1:18, 24; and Hebrews 13:3). Christ Himself was a faithful attendee at synagogue, despite the fact that he did not necessarily agree with the Jewish leadership of the age. And there are similar requirements in the Old Testament and the Koran. In Buddhism, weekly worship in individual, but corporately worship at important days in their calendar at the temple. Hinduism, less so, but congregational life still revolves around the temple. In other words, in all the world's major religion, community plays a very important part in the life of its adherents in terms of worship, spiritual guidance, or the unifying celebration of festivals and other important rites.

To me, the "skip the human middle man" is a rather revealing comment, because it speaks to a sense of hubris. It is essentially saying, "I am smarter and wiser than all the traditions, theology, and great thinkers that embody this particular faith to which I'm attracted. I will choose some petty reason to carp about it in order to justify not getting out of bed on Sunday morning."

First I don't have to quote scripture and verse to know God.

Did I say I don't share my faith in God, and love of God with others?

Who said I did not get up on Sunday morning or even go on Saturday night to attend Mass?
Assuming something you do not have a clue about is a very "Revealing comment" about you and your hubris.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The spiritual folk I have never understood. It comes across as a mishmash of various religious concepts that cannot be defined as something tangible.

Spirituality is such a vague term that can mean almost anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I used to say that I was "spiritual"; it sounds so meaningful. And then one day I was thinking about it and I said to myself, "What the @#$% is "spiritual"?

And I couldn't find a satisfactory definition, so I don't say that anymore.
I just am what I am.

Looking at the little tug of war going on here, it affirms that there is really no meaning to the term spiritual. Perhaps the term, agnostic or atheist are too final or folk think that these terms infer you are a hard hearted person.

Religion obviously defines some people and while they may have seen through certain hypocrisy, they still feel that they need to be defined by the tenets they grew up with or indoctrinated with.

I can see that "love thy neighbour" is not something that requires adherence to any religion and should include tolerate your neighbour. If this is who you are, that just makes you a decent person.

I do not believe in anything supernatural, afterlife, spirits or spooks. Does that make me a-spiritual?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:18 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:

Looking at the little tug of war going on here, it affirms that there is really no meaning to the term spiritual. Perhaps the term, agnostic or atheist are too final or folk think that these terms infer you are a hard hearted person.

Religion obviously defines some people and while they may have seen through certain hypocrisy, they still feel that they need to be defined by the tenets they grew up with or indoctrinated with.

I can see that "love thy neighbour" is not something that requires adherence to any religion and should include tolerate your neighbour. If this is who you are, that just makes you a decent person.

I do not believe in anything supernatural, afterlife, spirits or spooks. Does that make me a-spiritual?
But what if you aren't atheist or agnostic? I've referred to myself as "spiritual" as it just seems easier than, "I identify with Christianity but I don't have a home church or denomination." It's just a term to me.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
But what if you aren't atheist or agnostic? I've referred to myself as "spiritual" as it just seems easier than, "I identify with Christianity but I don't have a home church or denomination." It's just a term to me.
Which form of christianity? There are many. You are still religious but do not attend church. Christians would call that a cafeteria believer. Perhaps you do not engage in converting people just like I do not go out my way to deconvert folk in RL, religious beliefs or the lack thereof simply do not get initiated by me.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:35 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Which form of christianity? There are many. You are still religious but do not attend church. Christians would call that a cafeteria believer. Perhaps you do not engage in converting people just like I do not go out my way to deconvert folk in RL, religious beliefs or the lack thereof simply do not get initiated by me.
I do attend church at times, I just don't have my own. Form? That's the problem. I don't have a form and I'm always questioning. Yes, I'm familiar with Cafeteria Christian and I think most are.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
First I don't have to quote scripture and verse to know God.

Did I say I don't share my faith in God, and love of God with others?

Who said I did not get up on Sunday morning or even go on Saturday night to attend Mass?
Assuming something you do not have a clue about is a very "Revealing comment" about you and your hubris.
Jeez, Mr. Skip The Middleman. You can't even commit to a consistent position on whether or not to go to church. If you go to mass, then you are religious. That means you, on some level, agree with the rituals of organized faith. What, are you now going to tell me that you sit in the pew and don't pay attention and don't respond to the priest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality