Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM

455 posts, read 900,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The idea is of paradise lost. Adam screwed up, had to till the lands forever after as did all humans, Eve got her naughty bits re-engineered so that child birth would be painful.

The story anyway reads like the musings of ignorant people that did not understand the how of the working world, animals did not really seem to need to do much to survive.

The original sin is the fact that they disobeyed this imaginary god b/v they assumed that once upon a time it was different. Oddly enough, that premise does support evolution as when we were still on all fours, the internal bodily functions were better "designed" as opposed to what we currently have going bipedal.
So prior to that, it was a hotdog-in-a-hallway scenario for Adam? No wonder he ate the apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Or did Adam surprise him?
In fact throughout the first 11 Chapters we see God 'surprised.' Of course the Omni-God was a development that helps relieve these so-called problems as well as 'literary style.'

Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,004,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
He had to sin. God planned it that way.

Or did Adam surprise him?
Yes of course he had to sin. Of course God planned it that way and no, no one surprises God.

God already had the Saviour planned to come even prior to Adam sinning.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,255,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yes of course he had to sin. Of course God planned it that way and no, no one surprises God.

God already had the Saviour planned to come even prior to Adam sinning.
I wonder what Jesus did that ticked off his old man so much?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

392 posts, read 353,024 times
Original sin is nature. Our physical existence is awash in sin....all of nature has it's sinister qualities...It is pretty difficult as a human being to rise above the natural...That in part was the Christian message...to over come nature you must over come and control the natural...with the super natural...Original sin is in itself human existence.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,255,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Original sin is nature. Our physical existence is awash in sin....all of nature has it's sinister qualities...It is pretty difficult as a human being to rise above the natural...That in part was the Christian message...to over come nature you must over come and control the natural...with the super natural...Original sin is in itself human existence.
Man, did you get on the wrong bus!

Our job here is to co-exist amicably with nature. To "over come nature" is a child's dream.

Tell it to a tsunami.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 AM

20,105 posts, read 13,567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
This is just standard-issue asceticism that merely stops short of hair shirts and self-flagellation. The notion that suffering and unwanted outcomes are called "evil" and have their locus in the material world generally and in our bodies specifically, and that happiness and desired outcomes are called "good" and have their locus outside the natural world in a supernatural realm, is a recipe for self-loathing and is a complete cop-out regarding our responsibility to humanity to reduce suffering wherever and however we can.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 AM

63,978 posts, read 40,262,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is just standard-issue asceticism that merely stops short of hair shirts and self-flagellation. The notion that suffering and unwanted outcomes are called "evil" and have their locus in the material world generally and in our bodies specifically, and that happiness and desired outcomes are called "good" and have their locus outside the natural world in a supernatural realm, is a recipe for self-loathing and is a complete cop-out regarding our responsibility to humanity to reduce suffering wherever and however we can.
You misinterpret, mordant. BOTH the urges for evil and the urges for good are within US . . . not outside of us. Our aid in making the good transcend the evil is the Comforter guiding us to what God has "written in our hearts." If we follow our hearts in "love of God and each other" and NOT our purely selfish desires . . . good will triumph.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 PM

20,105 posts, read 13,567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You misinterpret, mordant. BOTH the urges for evil and the urges for good are within US . . . not outside of us. Our aid in making the good transcend the evil is the Comforter guiding us to what God has "written in our hearts." If we follow our hearts in "love of God and each other" and NOT our purely selfish desires . . . good will triumph.
I don't think I was misinterpreting the individual's comments that I was replying to, nor misinterpreting asceticism. I didn't say that I personally agreed with it. I in fact agree that all urges, regardless of how they might be labeled, are within us. None are external.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 AM

758 posts, read 852,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't think I was misinterpreting the individual's comments that I was replying to, nor misinterpreting asceticism. I didn't say that I personally agreed with it. I in fact agree that all urges, regardless of how they might be labeled, are within us. None are external.
For we wrestle not against flesh & blood - but against principalities and powers of spiritual wickedness in high places (atmosphere) Ephesians six.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality