Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'm confused.. you could never live in the "Bible-Belt" because why?

1. One person from one example used the word "disgusting"?
2. Somebody prayed for somebody else?
or
3. They don't fully understand the Jewish faith?

Cause if its #3 then didn't you just post that you couldn't find what you needed for Chanukah in San Francisco and you were frustrated with the lack of knowledge of the staff at Walgreens?

Sorry.. just confused
It's okay... no, there aren't any specific reasons, aside from being left out and/or misunderstood on a regular basis. I've been to the south many times, and often hear things that make me go HMMMMM. For instance, one lady from Georgia noticed my Star of David, and asked why I was riding the bus since "Aren't all Jews rich?" Oy vey. She didn't mean to be rude, but that's just the problem... even living in Oregon, some people were simply ignorant about the Jewish people/faith, and would say stupid things on a regular basis. Now before anyone jumps on me, I realize not everyone is like this - but a much larger majority are, and that's why I'm happier living in a diverse place like San Francisco. Nothing wrong with the Bible-Belt if it makes you happy, but I know it wouldn't be a great place for someone like me (a loud-mouthed, opinionated Jewish gal).

P.S. Yes, I did have trouble finding Chanukah candles at Walgreen's... but I finally found a box at a local gift shop, and I'm sure they were carried at most other stores. But as I said in my post earlier, it was SURPRISING that we didn't have them everywhere, since this area is normally very cool about that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't available in Podunk, Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 03:48 PM

919 posts, read 3,188,365 times
Our school has a holiday party, very generic but most of them call it a christmas party anyhow...it is the south LOL!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,082,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's okay... no, there aren't any specific reasons, aside from being left out and/or misunderstood on a regular basis. I've been to the south many times, and often hear things that make me go HMMMMM. For instance, one lady from Georgia noticed my Star of David, and asked why I was riding the bus since "Aren't all Jews rich?" Oy vey. She didn't mean to be rude, but that's just the problem... even living in Oregon, some people were simply ignorant about the Jewish people/faith, and would say stupid things on a regular basis. Now before anyone jumps on me, I realize not everyone is like this - but a much larger majority are, and that's why I'm happier living in a diverse place like San Francisco. Nothing wrong with the Bible-Belt if it makes you happy, but I know it wouldn't be a great place for someone like me (a loud-mouthed, opinionated Jewish gal).

P.S. Yes, I did have trouble finding Chanukah candles at Walgreen's... but I finally found a box at a local gift shop, and I'm sure they were carried at most other stores. But as I said in my post earlier, it was SURPRISING that we didn't have them everywhere, since this area is normally very cool about that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't available in Podunk, Alabama.

No problem.. I was just asking. I grew up in the bible belt and it doesn't bother me what people think of it. Sections within the bible belt are so different from each other even within the bible belt states.. Deep South Georgia and Alabama are much different than say Northern Alabama and Tennessee.

There are just some places down there where the culture "sunshine" don't shine.. if you get my drift.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 AM

841 posts, read 4,844,413 times
My son's kindergarten class made latkes from scratch and talked about Chanukah traditions. He learned the Dreidel song. He was so excited from learning about latkes that he came home that night and made latkes for the whole family. We loved it.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:46 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,624,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
My son's kindergarten class made latkes from scratch and talked about Chanukah traditions. He learned the Dreidel song. He was so excited from learning about latkes that he came home that night and made latkes for the whole family. We loved it.
That's wonderful! I wish my kid's school did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Mine is having a Christmas party / fund raiser tonight.
Obviously, it being the first night we HAVE to do the candle lighting thing, eating fried food thing, and playing board games thing so we cannot go to the party. He's furious that he's missing our on the fund raiser and I'm not sure if I should be mad or not. Am I wrong to be irate at the school?
It just seems like it would not have been so difficult to have the party on a non Hanukah night. Oh and the next fund raiser is a showing of the movie The Santa Clause which he will have to miss as well since it is, in essence, a Christmas movie.
We just moved to Dallas from Indianapolis and it is amazing to me that a school district in this huge metropolis is more unaware than one in the Midwest.
I haven't read all the posts. But I'm all for a celebration of all different faiths. I'm wondering how we can get something like this started at our own school. I would love for my kids to learn more about different cultures and celebrations.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
That's wonderful! I wish my kid's school did that.

I haven't read all the posts. But I'm all for a celebration of all different faiths. I'm wondering how we can get something like this started at our own school. I would love for my kids to learn more about different cultures and celebrations.
I agree! My son's kindergarten class has a multicultural curriculum. This week they learned how various countries celebrate Christmas. He told me how many Australians go to the beach on Christmas. Today for show and tell the kids brought in beach towels, sunglasses, and hats and were 'going to Australia' to celebrate the holiday. Last week they learned all about Chanukah, next week they'll learn about Kawanza and the New Year. So far my son likes Chanukah the best and said he wants to be Jewish when he grows up! Too cute.
Throughout the year they learn different holiday traditions of various religions. He attends a private, secular school. I don't know if this is why they educate so thoroughly at such a young age? We don't have public school experience yet...my son is only 6.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Sorry to get off topic in my previous post!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:51 PM

919 posts, read 3,188,365 times
I personally believe no religion should be in the schools.......

Old 12-15-2007, 12:44 AM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times
Quote:
That's awesome! As I said earlier, this particular subject should be a case of "all or nothing" - either don't celebrate any religion-based holidays, or cover ALL of them! There's no harm in celebrating other cultures and religions, whether or not they're represented in that classroom population... in fact, I think it's even more important in a non-diverse class, since they wouldn't be exposed otherwise. Education is the best way to fight ignorance, right?

Old 12-16-2007, 07:00 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,624,920 times
Quote:
I agree! My son's kindergarten class has a multicultural curriculum. This week they learned how various countries celebrate Christmas. He told me how many Australians go to the beach on Christmas. Today for show and tell the kids brought in beach towels, sunglasses, and hats and were 'going to Australia' to celebrate the holiday. Last week they learned all about Chanukah, next week they'll learn about Kawanza and the New Year. So far my son likes Chanukah the best and said he wants to be Jewish when he grows up! Too cute.
Throughout the year they learn different holiday traditions of various religions. He attends a private, secular school. I don't know if this is why they educate so thoroughly at such a young age? We don't have public school experience yet...my son is only 6.

I think that is wonderful!! Maybe I'll start something like that at home with my kids with each holiday. My kids are in a public school, they really go all out for Christmas, which they enjoy immensly, but it would be nice also to celebrate and learn what other traditions are around the world for other cultures and religions

My daughter is really into Abraham Lincoln, we celebrate him during the month of February with books and a mini celebration with her teacups! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality