Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,022,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While he may not have thought it all the way through, he did make some interesting points. In a long ago thread, I mentioned a calculation I had seen tallying up how much water it would take to cover the earth to the height of Mt. Everest. Trillions of gallons of water. Two questions. Where did all that water come from? Where did all that water go? It's more than the contents of all the world's oceans put together. It makes all the ground water in the world seem like a bucket full. All the water contained ini the clouds and atmosphere is insignificant compared to the water needs of a Noah flood.

If you can't come up with a logical and reasonable explanation for the source of all that water, the story of the flood can't be believed.

Not to mention the freezing cold and the lower atmospheric pressure making it impossible for most creatures to breathe.
Dear mensaguy, What if there were no Mt. Everest in Noah's day. What if the tallest mountain were, oh, say, 200 to 400 feet tall?

In Genesis 1 the waters covered the earth. Why couldn't it have occurred again in Noah's day? There are deep parts in the ocean where, if you put current day Mt. Everest into it, it would cover that mountain by almost a mile. But I don't believe Mt. Everest was nearly as tall in Noah's day as it is today, if it even existed as a mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,232,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus prefaced His return with "I really don't know when I will return. Not I nor the angels. Only God knows.
Bit of a cop out no? Surely a god incarnate would have known? If the angels knew and the head honcho, jesus as senior VP, being excluded form this info really does not hold up to scrutiny.

I suppose that is swept away with the mystery clause

Just keep your funeral plan up to date, no one is going anywhere other than 6' down.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,983,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What makes you believe Everest was that tall at the time?

ever heard of plate tectonics where the Indian plate detached from Africa slowly moved north and collided with the Euraisn plate millions of Years ago and help formed the Himalayas including Mt Everest?

ever heard of radio metric dating like potassium-Aragon dating that date things millions of years ago?

ever read a book written by people in the field?

ever did high school geography?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,710,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
ever heard of plate tectonics where the Indian plate detached from Africa slowly moved north and collided with the Euraisn plate millions of Years ago and help formed the Himalayas including Mt Everest?

ever heard of radio metric dating like potassium-Aragon dating that date things millions of years ago?

ever read a book written by people in the field?

ever did high school geography?
You're not considering "Historical Science". Remember science wasn't likely the same back then. The plate movement might have only taken only a day or two, with no global ramifications of gas escaping, volcanic activity, tsunamis, or earthquakes.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Ha! Ha!

The Bible as the 'standard' by which we date everything else. Yeah, that's not a bias that generates circular reasoning. Hmmmmm! I have a unsubstantiated conclusion that drives my doubts about all other dates that contradict the Bible. Then I make other unsubstantiated claims about mountains not being thousands and tens of thousands of feet tall 4,304 years ago (LOL Moderator cut: deleted) and say that the continents separated very fast after the flood but slowed down to present rates while the sea floor sank a few miles as the water drained off the land creating the sea basins. And the proof is......? Nothing, but an already unsubstantiated conclusion that the Bible is - you guessed it Divine. And somehow the atheist and skeptics are peddling silliness.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-25-2014 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language/reference

Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,090,661 times
Quote:
So it just proves their dating methods are suspect, that's all.
No, it proves your are, since you evidence is denominational religious propaganda and theirs is actual archaeology and actual historians of actual empires with actual demonstrable histories.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
No, it proves your are, since you evidence is denominational religious propaganda and theirs is actual archaeology and actual historians of actual empires with actual demonstrable histories.
Not really. It boils down to dating methods.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,090,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You're not considering "Historical Science". Remember science wasn't likely the same back then. The plate movement might have only taken only a day or two, with no global ramifications of gas escaping, volcanic activity, tsunamis, or earthquakes.
don't forget to tell them you are being sarcastic, otherwise they might take your sarcastic apologetic response as a serious alternative; When obviously (with Faithful look at the evidence) it was the movement of the FSM's noodly appendages over the waters and plates which brought the waters above the Himalayas, which explains rivers and ocean currents and prehistoric shells, and such.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:38 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,018,676 times
Quote:
Hello Terryj,
First off, I don't believe the Great Flood occurred 3000 years ago.

2ndly, I don't believe God created the earth 8000 years ago. It could have been hundreds of thousands if not millions of years ago.

3rdly, It is incorrect to extrapolate current rate of tectonic plate movement and uplifting of mountains based upon present day rates and apply them to Noah's day.

There may not have been a Mt. Everest in Noah's day.

If there was no Mt. Everest in Noah's day, then you explain to me just how a mountain the size of Mt. Everest could just pop up over night, on a geologic time scale. I'm all ears and eyes. How can a mountain 29,000 feet tall grow to this size in just a few thousand years? Are you saying that continental drift was on the order of miles per year, can you imagine the earthquakes those people experienced every day, it amazing that anybody was alive before Noah.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn
Do you really think we think the plate movement took only a day or two? If so, why? Did we ever state so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality