Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:09 PM

32 posts, read 130,269 times

Advertisements

We all know why - because the bible says it's wrong. But my real question, is why do you care? I mean, if these people choose to sin, so be it. What two consenting adults choose to do in the privacy of their bedrooms really is their business, is it not?

Why the need to express your personal belief that this preference is immoral, abhorrant, or wrong? It's a concept I've just never understood.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,722,778 times
Because it says so in the Bible and Christians follow the Bible. Now, whethero ne believes in the Bible and Christianity, that's another issue. Btw, not ALL Christians are anti-gay. Some are more stringent than others.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:54 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,201,929 times
It's that old s-e-x- thing! If it has anything to do with sex, then it's dirty, vile, rotten, horrible, terrible, sinful and if it wasn't needed to have children, no one would ever do it. Therefore, since they can't complain about married sex as god wants them to have children, they have to complain about any other kind.

You have to keep in mind that SOME ( and notice, please, that I emphasize some) Christians have extreme viewpoints on a lot of different things. Gays just happen to be the most prominent.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,460,172 times
I think SOME christians are affraid that gay people are out there trying to convert straight men to be gay, or even sneaking up on them in the shower.

Honestly thats the kind of reaction you would expect from the way they go on about it.

Then you have the scandals that have been going on, maybe SOME of the fear is because they are affraid their own secret is going to come out.

Disclaimer: I am not referring to ALL christians, only some out there.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:10 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Hmmmm, I'm Catholic and have no issues with gays...
It's not for me to decide or judge
Live & let live is my motto...if you're not bothering me...I'm not about to bother you

Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,244,192 times
Quote:
Live & let live is my motto...if you're not bothering me...I'm not about to bother you
That is a very.....un-Christian (or is it only an un-Catholic?) thing to say.
Most Christians insist on shouting their interpretation of the Bible at the top of their lungs (okay, a slight exaggeration on my part, but mostly this is how it feels if you aren't mentally prepared).

Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
That is a very.....un-Christian (or is it only an un-Catholic?) thing to say.
Most Christians insist on shouting their interpretation of the Bible at the top of their lungs (okay, a slight exaggeration on my part, but mostly this is how it feels if you aren't mentally prepared).
and there you have it....in that bolded sentence above

If God is all loving and all forgiving who am I to second guess Him??
It's for Him to decide not me

Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,145,634 times
First off, let me point out (though someone else already did) that not all Christians are homophobes. I have friends who are very religious (Catholic and Protestant) who have no problems with homosexuality and don't put heterosexuality above it.

As for Christians who are homophobic, I've been listening to that rhetoric for a long time and I've tried to decide what's at the core, because I don't believe it's the Bible. I don't see how it's possible to follow the Bible verbatim, (especially not the Old Testament, am I right?) and so some kind of picking and choosing goes on. And people pick Leviticus and other homophobic passages. I find that almost random. I think it really goes back to people's beliefs about how society should work. GLBTQ people subvert gender norms, some to a small extent and others to a very large extent. I think the issue many people have with it is the idea that two women won't need a man to dominate them in some way, or worse--two men can be together without a woman, with one (or both) perhaps being less masculine than society would prefer. People who see the Leave it to Beaver family as the ideal are horrified by this, IMO. And I think there are still quite a few people who can't see the point in getting married if you aren't planning on procreating (of course, not to mention the gay couples I know who have adopted).

Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 AM

25 posts, read 114,593 times
Default not gay

in my opinion it is wrong and it effects us all as americans when ever the world heres about america they here about drugs and whores and alot of GAYS, and many other things its not a personal matter but it is a group matter. america is supposedly a god loving country so why do we let it become a devil loving country

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
We all know why - because the bible says it's wrong. But my real question, is why do you care? I mean, if these people choose to sin, so be it. What two consenting adults choose to do in the privacy of their bedrooms really is their business, is it not?

Why the need to express your personal belief that this preference is immoral, abhorrant, or wrong? It's a concept I've just never understood.
I am a bible-believing Christian. I feel the need to first clarify something. I'm one who distinguishes the person from the action. Someone identifies themselves as gay. Fine. You're a person whom God loves, so therefore I believe I am to love you as God does. And I do try to show God's love to all people I encounter (easier said than done, but I try my best). What I as a Christian have a problem accepting is the act of homosexual behavior because it is declared a sin by God. Even if you wish to ignore the verses that plainly state this, it's still a form of adultery, which is a sin. I'm also opposed to presenting this sin (as I see it) as normal and acceptable. If God says it's not acceptable, then it's not acceptable.

So, why do Christians care? Why do Christians bother? Well, I can only speak for myself. Yes, what people do in their bedrooms is completely their business. That's between them and God. But when people try to get me to accept as normal that which is not, I speak up and explain why I don't believe it's acceptable. I speak up so they can hear what God's word has to say about the issue.

This goes for other behaviors as well. If you see someone doing something that you know will harm them, don't you try to stop them from doing it? I'm concerned for people's souls and whether they'll spend life after death with or without God. I'll speak up to point out those actions that can jeopardize their eternal spirit. Again, I can only speak for me, but I do this out of love and compassion for others, not out of anger or to berate them.

Also, as an aside, God gave married couples (man & woman) sex as a gift. Yes it's for procreation, but it's also for enjoyment and fulfillment of the married couple. Sex is to be enjoyed by the married couple. The only time sex is not acceptable, according to God, is when it takes place outside the marriage of one man to one woman.

Last edited by mams1559; 12-01-2007 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: oops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality