Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I want what you got. Or I want to keep you from what I got.

Those are...in my opinion...the root reasons for most wars. Everthing else said to justify them is mostly smoke an mirrors.
And that smoke and mirrors is often in the form of religion. Not always, of course, but it has been the case many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The Bible never ordered the slaughter of Muslims, Jews, Protestant Christians. Orders for those deaths came from men who used others' admiration of the Bible to achieve their own selfish or political ends. Religion is not the cause of all evil. Religions are often times the scapegoat for greed, and human cruelty.
Actually, Islam and Protestant Christianity did not yet exist in Biblical times. The Bible does order the killing of pagans, witches, homosexuals and other enemies of God........but thankfully, the Bible has no authority now, except in the small minds of evil, misguided humans.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
And that smoke and mirrors is often in the form of religion. Not always, of course, but it has been the case many times.

That "excuse" can be (often is) used as a whole or part reason to attack another nation/civilization. But if you look (closely) through out history. One usually (in my opinion only, from my studies) does not find it is the "real" root reason/cause for alot of wars.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's common knowledge atheist play the "victim" role and point fingers at religion for every bad thing in the world because of their own bias and extreme beliefs. Other liberal groups play the same role when there is a perceived threat to their beliefs and lifestyle. Feminist think women are victims. Gays think they are victims. Blacks, Latinos, etc. It's a joke.
What makes you so certain that atheists are not conservative rather than liberal?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What makes you so certain that atheists are not conservative rather than liberal?
Atheists, just like theists, are all over the political spectrum. There are even sites dedicated to conservative atheists.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:13 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Atheists, just like theists, are all over the political spectrum. There are even sites dedicated to conservative atheists.
My sister is an atheist and she's rabidly conservative.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times
Yeah I think it's become kind of hip to blame religion for everything, but keep in mind religion has motivated a lot of good too. And I'm saying that as somebody who doesn't really believe in God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality