Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:47 AM

5,371 posts, read 5,173,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
An 11 year old vs. an adult. The odds favor someone with more experience.
Oh lol....

Anyways, I just found it's easiest to daydream during church. Just make sure you have enough stuff to daydream about since church can go awfully long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 PM

7,327 posts, read 6,951,302 times
I am sorry that you haven't yet experienced the faith your mother enjoys.
No one pushed me ,though I had no choice growing up going to church, but at 7, I made the decision to open my life to the Lord, and have enjoyed His involvement in my life over 55 years.
I saw the result of folks that put off God ,all around me . and seeing the trouble in the world with people that choose to live with out God it amazes me they still resist Him. but that was my motivation.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,959,704 times
Moderator cut: deleted There were a lot of things I was told to to do as a child that didn't suit me but I obeyed my parents and authority.Children ,espescially teenagers think they know what is best for them ,no parents do they have been there done that. It is tough for a mother to raise a son by themself if this be the case, my hat is off to them and give them the respect due, they are just doing the best they can with your best interest at heart.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-26-2014 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: Situation has been dealt with.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM

17,858 posts, read 13,787,748 times
One thing you can do is continue to observe, listen, participate and if you make the decision to be a non believer along the way it won't be because you didn't take the time to examine the evidence.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:02 PM

20,105 posts, read 13,571,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm guessing they give you food, shelter, clothing, internet access, etc. I would suggest you maybe ought to put up with your Mom. As long as you live in her home, perhaps you ought to respect her enough to grant her the hour or so a week that she wants you go to go to church.

It's amazing how when you're 30 you're going to look back on it and think maybe she wasn't all that bad.
OK, turnabout is fair play, Viz. We disagree on a lot, but not on this topic ;-)

Old 05-24-2014, 03:21 PM

392 posts, read 248,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon64 View Post
I'm not even 12 yet but I have wondered if god is real. I'm now pretty sure he isn't real because it doesn't make any sense.
There are some claims which seldom receive the request for evidence because they are stated in a negative format. For example-

Claim in negative- "I am not convinced that God exists."

Claim in positive- "Through materialistic practice I am convinced that something besides God exists there."

Request avoided- "What things?" "Why materialistic practice?"

Claim in negative- "You haven't presented any evidence for God."

Claim in positive- "I have determined through materialistic practice that what you have presented is evidence for something besides God."

Request avoided- What thing? "Why materialistic practice?"

Let's hope your mother asks you for evidence for your claim (- "I believe something besides God exists there.") you conceal behind a negative format (- "I'm now pretty sure he isn't real."). And if you use your materialistic practice to gather evidence, she asks what makes materialistic practice correct in the first place.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,258,331 times
overgastg4 - you're a one-trick pony.

Post something without the word(s) material/s/ist/ic.

I double-dog dare ya'!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:47 PM

446 posts, read 486,250 times
Quote:
I'm not even 12 yet but I have wondered if god is real. I'm now pretty sure he isn't real because it doesn't make any sense. There's no way I actually want to tell my family about that though. My mom is VERY into god and all the things he 'does'. if I told her he doesn't exist this is what would happen 'You will not go on your computer anymore for anything other than school work! Why?! Because it is brainwashing you! do you want demons in your head!'. (something like that, I find it pretty funny until I go to my computer and realize my mom's staring at me..)
She has told me before that if I told her I didn't want to do these things she wouldn't even bother with me anymore about god, I know thats a big fat lie though.. I don't want to wait 7 years until I can be free either.
What should I do during those 7 years?

Do your research, study the book of each religion and compare it with others and see what talks to you.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
I'm not even 12 yet but I have wondered if god is real. I'm now pretty sure he isn't real because it doesn't make any sense. There's no way I actually want to tell my family about that though. My mom is VERY into god and all the things he 'does'. if I told her he doesn't exist this is what would happen 'You will not go on your computer anymore for anything other than school work! Why?! Because it is brainwashing you! do you want demons in your head!'. (something like that, I find it pretty funny until I go to my computer and realize my mom's staring at me..)
She has told me before that if I told her I didn't want to do these things she wouldn't even bother with me anymore about god, I know thats a big fat lie though.. I don't want to wait 7 years until I can be free either.
What should I do during those 7 years?

You're the only 11-year old on the planet with a religious mother who believes you'll be brainwashed by demons yet gives you a computer and allows you to access the internet. Where you managed to have enough time looking around to find your way to C-D to complain about her.

Congratulations! She sounds like she's one of a kind!!

I suggest you spend the next 7 years paying attention in school so you can get a really good-paying job. That way then the moment you hit 18 you can leave home and be 100% responsible for yourself. That means you have to pay for all your food, rent, car, insurance, utilities..... there will be GREAT computers in 7 years so you'll need $$ for that too. Then you can be an atheist under your own roof and not have to worry about Mom staring at you.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-24-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 10:12 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,920,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
An 11 year old vs. an adult. The odds favor someone with more experience.

You'd think, but that isn't always the case.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality