Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:25 PM

446 posts, read 485,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I walked away from Christianity a long time ago. Not because of its rituals and beliefs, but because of a deep feeling of disconnectedness. No matter how hard my mother tried to help, I could never relate to it nor bond with it.
If you believe in God then why not ask God to guide you?
And then you start your research by reading other holy scriptures to see what talks to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Not trying to attack beliefs and I promise not to do so in my responses. You respect mine, I respect yours. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic grade school, high school, and college. We weren't super active church goers though. As I got older I took a step back and realized, most of this is just goofy and even worse, there's no explanation for anything other than " Have faith". I had this discussion with my mom I pointed out to her " So you believe that, in the sky, there's an invisible man who watches you 24/7 and essentially twists your arm with this idea of Hell, forcing you to follow his 10 rules".

You can argue free will, we have free will to disobey the 10 rules, but think about it, if we don't we go to the place with screaming and fire. That's like your dad saying " sure you can break curfew, but I'm grounding you until the end of the decade" Not so keen on breaking curfew now are you?" Back to my point, at 19 I finally said " I'm done" and haven't done anything religious since, no church attendance in almost 20 years, no pre-meal prayers, no anything. I'm happier now than I was when I was religious. While I'm sure not ALL people on here are like folks I've met IRL, they'll say " Oh yes, we follow the Bible to the tee." Ok, I know that the Bible promotes slavery, misogyny, and is homophobic. Yikes. They never want to address the certain activities that priests have come under fire for recently, as far as I know nothing has been done to fix the problem, I have a son( 19) and I would never let him near a priest if he were middle school age.
I suppose I walked away from the 'Anglican' church finally and definitively at 15 and have never regretted it, though ongoing apologetics requires me to 'look back' from time to time.

You and I, coming from proddy and Catlik sides may find that we now are considering the claims of the Booik on exactly the same terms and the validity of the Papal line or of the reformation is a matter more to do with human history than with divine realities.

The historical basis of the Bible - not the church, but the Bible - is where the debate is now, or so I feel. Organized religion is to me utterly irrelevant to this question.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:25 PM

225 posts, read 162,015 times
Quote:
=irishfan77;34958156]Not trying to attack beliefs and I promise not to do so in my responses. You respect mine, I respect yours. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic grade school, high school, and college. We weren't super active church goers though. As I got older I took a step back and realized, most of this is just goofy and even worse, there's no explanation for anything other than " Have faith". I had this discussion with my mom I pointed out to her " So you believe that, in the sky, there's an invisible man who watches you 24/7 and essentially twists your arm with this idea of Hell, forcing you to follow his 10 rules".

You can argue free will, we have free will to disobey the 10 rules, but think about it, if we don't we go to the place with screaming and fire. That's like your dad saying " sure you can break curfew, but I'm grounding you until the end of the decade" Not so keen on breaking curfew now are you?" Back to my point, at 19 I finally said " I'm done" and haven't done anything religious since, no church attendance in almost 20 years, no pre-meal prayers, no anything. I'm happier now than I was when I was religious. While I'm sure not ALL people on here are like folks I've met IRL, they'll say " Oh yes, we follow the Bible to the tee." Ok, I know that the Bible promotes slavery, misogyny, and is homophobic. Yikes. They never want to address the certain activities that priests have come under fire for recently, as far as I know nothing has been done to fix the problem, I have a son( 19) and I would never let him near a priest if he were middle school age.
DUH

Jesus became man which is BOTH a historical and a biblical truth. So that we COULD know GOD

You can choose to NOT believe now; but be assurrred you WILL believe later.

God Bless you,
IamACatholic
Patrick

Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Not trying to attack beliefs and I promise not to do so in my responses. You respect mine, I respect yours. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic grade school, high school, and college. We weren't super active church goers though. As I got older I took a step back and realized, most of this is just goofy and even worse, there's no explanation for anything other than " Have faith". I had this discussion with my mom I pointed out to her " So you believe that, in the sky, there's an invisible man who watches you 24/7 and essentially twists your arm with this idea of Hell, forcing you to follow his 10 rules".

Yes, exactly.

Ideas of traditional Christianity are somewhat messed up. "You have a choice. But if you choose the wrong thing then you'll be tortured. Oh, yeah, great choice. Makes a joke out of "free will". Who needs free will if these are the only two options? Honestly, God would have been more merciful if he just forced everybody into heaven. (But Christians are saying that free will is a gift. Why? Just so that some could "choose" to be tortured).

It's like a shot gun wedding. If you don't believe, you'll be tortured. So you better believe. Yes, God is so very merciful, he won't squash you like a bug just for being born (in sin), but only if you do everything he says the way he says it. But if you don't, watch out... there goes mercy out of the window.

Last edited by LoveWisdom; 05-29-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 PM

56 posts, read 44,748 times
I absolutely do not believe in any religious God, and am uncertain of the existence of a nonchalant God.

It is not my fault that the world is evil, and I most certainly do not recall begging God to create me, and so to banish me to an eternity of torment when I didn't ask for the world to be constructed in the manner that it is simply is not right, nor is it moral.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:06 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamACatholic View Post
Jesus became man which is BOTH a historical and a biblical truth.
Incorrect. The historical truth is Jesus was just a man. Nice guy too. And there is no such thing as Biblical "truth" any more than there is such thing as Harry Potter "truth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamACatholic View Post
You can choose to NOT believe now; but be assurrred you WILL believe later.
Your peddling of the Pauline mythology in this thread is inappropriate. This thread is about walking away from the Church's practice of treating myths as if they were reality.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I have walked away from a "church" but not the Church of all true believers in Christ alive on Earth. There can be any number of legitimate reasons to leave a particular fellowship. I will never turn away from my Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,469 times
I walked away from Christianity a long time ago. because of its rituals and beliefs.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 AM

190 posts, read 192,634 times
an odd fact that I ran across a number of years ago struck me. Demographics of black mass and Satanists were 90% ex-Catholic. It was in a college library book debunking cultism and it's effects, so I believe that statistic.

Rebelling and running rather than walking away from religion is what I take from it.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
I willingly walked away from "the Church" but I was raised protestant. Looking back, I think it's more that I walked away from organized religion and have chosen to follow my own path of spirituality. My beliefs are still very Christian based but there are many tenets of the organized religion that I simply choose not to participate in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality