Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
To teach that Jesus dying HORRIBLY is in some kind of "redemption for your sins", is sick.

Jesus died because of his "Father/God" YHWH, and his sick, terrorist, murderous, genocidal, jealous, Satan "God", who also had an innocent man murdered for picking up sticks on his pathetic "Sabbath". May YHWH burn in Hell for all eternity.
I've repeatedly asked you for ANY verse pointing to this supposedly innocent man being put to death. You've repeatedly failed to do it. So at this point, everyone knows you're full of hot air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
LoveWisdom, your op was interesting. Since I come from a Christian background, I enjoyed reading your perspective on how a thread, similar to your own understanding, runs through what Paul wrote. I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Do you feel that your take on things has been helpful to you in practical ways, as you seek to become "good and wise"?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:43 PM

995 posts, read 956,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've repeatedly asked you for ANY verse pointing to this supposedly innocent man being put to death. You've repeatedly failed to do it. So at this point, everyone knows you're full of hot air.
I have never once seen you pose that question. You can Google Man stoned to death for picking up sticks, or gathering wood.

Here it is, Number 15 32-36

32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
LoveWisdom, your op was interesting. Since I come from a Christian background, I enjoyed reading your perspective on how a thread, similar to your own understanding, runs through what Paul wrote. I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Do you feel that your take on things has been helpful to you in practical ways, as you seek to become "good and wise"?
Thank you for sharing that. I REALLY wanted to share with someone who had a Christian background also because only those people could understand my feelings. It's quite amazing to see similarities and to say: oh my God, it was here all along and I never saw it! All these goose bumps.... To think that you turned away from all that you knew, to only realize that there are some things there... It's very interesting to me. But no one could understand unless they've been in the same situation. I want someone to be amazed with me.

Yes, it's been helpful. Although I have to admit, as much as I know, I should technically do much better in life. But, it seems that knowing comes first, but the ability to implement lags behind. I guess it's like they say in alcoholics anonymous: admitting is the first step to solving the problem. (Admitting in this case is becoming aware of the problem).

It's cool and exciting to see things this way. It makes me feel like I finally know what's going on. When I was a Christian. I've attended so many Bible Studies and studied for myself a lot. And yet, I didn't have answers to so many questions.

I feel that when theologists create a theory based on the Bible verses, they are not really honest with themselves. I think that they know that they have to ignore some of the contradictory verses in order to keep their theory true. I saw those verses and couldn't deny them. So therefore I could never find a nice theory which fits everything.

I did not understand what it meant to be IN Christ. But knowing that we are a part of the Higher Entity....well, now it makes sense. It means to be a part of someone.

I did not understand how under Trinity idea it was possible for Jesus to be ONE with God and yet for God to be greater than Jesus. But now, 3d self vs Higher SELF, they are one and yet one is greater than the other. Makes sense.

I did not understand what the verse meant when it said that we are seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. But now it makes sense. Oh, as part of this Higher Entity, we are there already because it's there...

I did not understand what it means that we have the mind of Christ. But now I know that it means that we are a part of the Christ consciousness (or an Entity represented by "Christ" idea)

I did not understand why God created evil.

Isa 45:7 I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.
Isa 54:16 "See, it is I who created the destroyer to work havoc;

Or why would God catch his enemy Satan and then release him again and allow him to deceive the nations all over again?
Rev 20:7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison ...and will go out to deceive the nations

Now I get it. Evil is not what people think it is. And it's a necessary part of the learning process.

I did not understand what it means that "we have the sinful nature and godly nature and that they fight". Or that "sin lives in us". But now I realize that it has to do with learning to be good while experiencing the opposite, that the fighting is necessary for evolving and turning into good.

I did not understand what it meant that we have to "grow up into our salvation". I thought you're saved the moment you accept Christ. I thought that God would just magically make us good when we get to heaven. But then why even try all this hard work of trying to be good here and growing up into your salvation? And what about those who died early and didn't have a chance to "grow up into their salvation"? Didn't make sense. But now it does. God can't just magically make us good. Because that would kill us, kill who we are, kill our identity. In order to preserve someone's identity, you have to gradually change them. That's why Bible mentions suffering and perfecting (process) of the saint. It's not a magic pill. It's a process which takes time. And if you die and didn't get a chance to "grow up into your salvation", then there is another part of the "body" which will learn it on your behalf and then imparts that to you.

I didn't understand why God would allow Satan to come into his presence. I thought God's purpose was only to destroy Satan.
(Story of Job). Job 1:6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them.

Satan was allowed in heaven into God's court freely to come along with all the other angels?

I didn't understand why God would send evil spirits to do his work. (Turns out the idea of evil spirits in the OT was not the same as the view of them in the modern times).

1Ki 22:19 Micaiah continued, "I saw the LORD sitting on his throne with all the host of heaven standing around him...
1Ki 22:20 And the LORD said, 'Who will entice Ahab into attacking Ramoth ...Finally, a spirit came forward...'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said. "'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the LORD. 'Go and do it.'
1Ki 22:23 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."

Jdg 9:23 God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the citizens of Shechem, who acted treacherously against Abimelech.

1Sa 18:10 The next day an evil spirit from God came forcefully upon Saul.

Or why God would need to create a new heaven (old one is bad now?) and a new earth (hmm, I thought we all were going to live in heaven from now on, what is the new earth needed for)? (Rev 21:1) - Oh, it's because there are New Universes that are born and new Earths within them....

I

It's interesting how it says in the Bible: the truth will set you free!
And I feel like I was set free now!

But Christians of course assume that it means that when an unbeliever converts to believing in Christianity, that's when he gets set free.
But in reality, traditional Christianity makes you feel worthless, someone who can never be good enough, someone who can never do enough. It puts you in bondage. It makes you feel guilty all the time. At least it's like that for those who actually try do follow the rules. I guess it's easier for those who don't actually try to follow the Bible, but just call themselves Christians.

My mom, a Christian, works so hard to help so many. And yet she feels inadequate, like she didn't do enough. That's what happens. Plus you're always aware of this hell hanging over your head and if you don't do things right, you may just get there... That's not freedom in my view.

Last edited by LoveWisdom; 06-03-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Well, if he can't provide that, I can provide a verse that always bothered me personally.

Psa 137:8-9 ...happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us, he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

Not a pretty picture in Genesis 12 and 20 where Abraham keeps lying about his wife and calling her his sister and God punishes other people because they took her, even though it was Abraham who was afraid to tell the truth.

I thought God was supposed to be good and in control of his emotions, afterall, it's considered a sin to lose your temper, right? But this sound like plain human "pay back":

Lev 26:28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over.
Lev 26:29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.
Lev 26:30 I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars and pile your dead bodies on the lifeless forms of your idols, and I will abhor you.

Exodus 32:10-14 - turns out that Moses is nicer than God and has more wisdom than God? God was short tempered and ready to do the unwise thing while Moses talked him into seeing reason?

God kept feeding people manna and they got tired. Reasonable. So they asked for meat. (I mean if God can provide it, why not ask for it). And how did God reply? Well, if you want meat, here it is, but I will also punish you for asking for it. Basically, I will punish you for daring not to be satisfied with manna only for 40 years.

There are many things like this in the Old Testament. Even things that teach to hate your enemies (even though the New Testament teaches the opposite)

Christians are taught to love their enemies. But turns out God has a license to do the opposite:
Deu 7:10 But those who hate him he will repay to their face by destruction; he will not be slow to repay to their face those who hate him.

God is so violent in the Old Testament, destroying all (and in Revelation). And yet in the other places it would say that he hates such things. Mal 2:16 "and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith.
Confusion. And all because different ideas were put together into one collection (The Bible) (which makes people have to believe that all these ideas are supposed to be unified).

Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Thank you for sharing that. I REALLY wanted to share with someone who had a Christian background also because only those people could understand my feelings. It's quite amazing to see similarities and to say: oh my God, it was here all along and I never saw it! All these goose bumps.... To think that you turned away from all that you knew, to only realize that there are some things there... It's very interesting to me. But no one could understand unless they've been in the same situation. I want someone to be amazed with me.

Yes, it's been helpful. Although I have to admit, as much as I know, I should technically do much better in life. But, it seems that knowing comes first, but the ability to implement lags behind. I guess it's like they say in alcoholics anonymous: admitting is the first step to solving the problem. (Admitting in this case is becoming aware of the problem).

It's cool and exciting to see things this way. It makes me feel like I finally know what's going on. When I was a Christian. I've attended so many Bible Studies and studied for myself a lot. And yet, I didn't have answers to so many questions.
I get that and I've been there, too, in the past. Christianity bred a frantic need in me to be absolutely sure I knew all the right things about God and an afterlife and spirituality -- and insisted that the only way I'd ever know all the answers was by understanding the bible. I still find pondering the questions interesting, and I enjoy seeing how people find threads in the bible that make sense to them, but more and more I'm emerging from what I feel was that unhealthy need to think I know all the answers. And I've definitely left behind the notion that I should rely on the bible to give them.

The bible is just a record of other people pondering, as I see it, and I'm sure the authors hit on some good stuff. They also hit on some really ridiculous, even morally corrupt, stuff, based on their time, their culture, their myths, their knowledge or lack thereof, and whatever agendas were important to them at the time. I'm not compelled to accept it all as truth, nor to try to make it all sync together into a cohesive whole anymore, thank GOD.

Quote:
But Christians of course assume that it means that when an unbeliever converts to believing in Christianity, that's when he gets set free.
But in reality, traditional Christianity makes you feel worthless, someone who can never be good enough, someone who can never do enough. It puts you in bondage. It makes you feel guilty all the time. At least it's like that for those who actually try do follow the rules. I guess it's easier for those who don't actually try to follow the Bible, but just call themselves Christians.
I hear ya. And I agree. There are Christians who would say ... oh, you got it all wrong, it's not about following the rules. But for some Christian denominations, it is about following rules. And for those who think it's all just about believing in Jesus, they still maintain that you should be producing "good works" (however they define it) so that you can know for sure you really believe and are safe from hell. Either way, it screws with your mind, if you take it seriously.

I think many of us who were immersed in Christianity, and took it very seriously, and have also had the privilege of living in a time when we have access to study tools and knowledge that allows us to take a more critical look at doctrines we were spoonfed, are the ones who finally begin to see it for what it is. But only if we can somehow move beyond the fear of questioning "God" [we were basically taught that questioning Christianity's beliefs about God, was questioning God, him/her/itself] which was instilled in us by our Christian upbringing.

Quote:
My mom, a Christian, works so hard to help so many. And yet she feels inadequate, like she didn't do enough. That's what happens. Plus you're always aware of this hell hanging over your head and if you don't do things right, you may just get there... That's not freedom in my view.
Sorry about your mom. I hope she finds some peace.

Last edited by Pleroo; 06-05-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I get that and I've been there, too, in the past. .
I agree with all you said. So nice to meet someone who is on a similar journey and has reached similar conclusions.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
I get that and I've been there, too, in the past. Christianity bred a frantic need in me to be absolutely sure I knew all the right things about God and an afterlife and spirituality -- and insisted that the only way I'd ever know all the answers was by understanding the bible. I still find pondering the questions interesting, and I enjoy seeing how people find threads in the bible that make sense to them, but more and more I'm emerging from what I feel was that unhealthy need to think I know all the answers. And I've definitely left behind the notion that I should rely on the bible to give them.
The bible is just a record of other people pondering, as I see it, and I'm sure the authors hit on some good stuff. They also hit on some really ridiculous, even morally corrupt, stuff, based on their time, their culture, their myths, their knowledge or lack thereof, and whatever agendas were important to them at the time. I'm not compelled to accept it all as truth, nor to try to make it all sync together into a cohesive whole anymore, thank GOD.
I hear ya. And I agree. There are Christians who would say ... oh, you got it all wrong, it's not about following the rules. But for some Christian denominations, it is about following rules. And for those who think it's all just about believing in Jesus, they still maintain that you should be producing "good works" (however they define it) so that you can know for sure you really believe and are safe from hell. Either way, it screws with your mind, if you take it seriously.
I think many of us who were immersed in Christianity, and took it very seriously, and have also had the privilege of living in a time when we have access to study tools and knowledge that allows us to take a more critical look at doctrines we were spoonfed, are the ones who finally begin to see it for what it is. But only if we can somehow move beyond the fear of questioning "God" [we were basically taught that questioning Christianity's beliefs about God, was questioning God, him/her/itself] which was instilled in us by our Christian upbringing.
Wonderful witness, Pleroo. It pleases my heart that you have been freed from the tyranny of the Bible and rely on the love that IS God. It is not easy for any of us to love some of the really obnoxious and often evil things people do. That is because we are not Christ . . . but Christ abides with us in our consciousness . . . even if it is not readily apparent to some. The fact that we have the concept of Christ within our consciousness validates that He is there in some fashion. That can make things so much more tolerable . . . especially for the "mystically-challenged".

Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 922 times
The "multidimensional self" or "higher self" is basically the same as the Holy Spirit. Sometimes we get boggled down in terminology. Our souls do interpret our spiritual experience and put it within a context. This is true for things like the Near Death Experience and Paul's experience on the road to Damascus. I think you do have what I call the ripple effect going on. Profound acts of love ripple through humanity and can transform it. Jesus in his life, death, and teachings had a profound rippling effect on humanity.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 3,662 times
Thankyou, LoveWisdom (Philosophia), for your lengthy post back in 2014. Sorry I'm so late arriving. I, too, share your vision. Began coming thru for me in 2017. I call it Multifidic Incarnation instead of reincarnation, and the seeds you speak of span multiple species, not only the human, as in Romans 8:18-23. That higher self in the Christ ya speak of is but a radii of the Radius that Christ is.. to each (wo)man their own star. Exactly what St. Maximus the Confessor called the logi of the Logos, ones Holy Guardian Angel. See his 'On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ', if you have not already. You still around, LoveWisdom? Are you still here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality