Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:40 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,371,761 times

Advertisements

Would it be possible to found a religion based on this idea?

That the religions of the world that insist some massive individual force or spirit or being is God, are full of crap, and it's just God in everything, but mostly in the person you come to care about deeply? Sorta animism, but with a twist.

Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Well, it could lead to interesting break-up lines: "Sorry, I met someone godlier at the bowling alley. It was Divine Revelation at first sight..."

Old 06-03-2014, 10:55 AM

20,072 posts, read 13,535,331 times
No sustainable mature intimate relationship can fail at some point to give back its projections to the beloved. No one can forever remain on a pedestal, particularly one that confers godhood, or even representation of deity, upon them.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,008,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

That the religions of the world that insist some massive individual force or spirit or being is God, are full of crap, and it's just God in everything, but mostly in the person you come to care about deeply? Sorta animism, but with a twist.

Thoughts.
The concept you are proposing is called Pantheism, where the divine is in all things and that there is no separate god because all things are god.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:12 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,137,517 times
Quote:

Thoughts.
Technically, from the "zoom way out" perspective, we are all one. God is the Ocean and we are drops of water.

So if "you" are a part of the Ocean, then any other drop is a part of the Ocean. If a drop could represent God, then you could represent God. And any other drop could represent God.

All are God. And if any drop hurts another drop it's like hurting a part of your own body. Or like hurting God when you hurt another.

Jesus had this idea in the Bible. He said: what you do to another, you do unto me.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
No sustainable mature intimate relationship can fail at some point to give back its projections to the beloved. No one can forever remain on a pedestal, particularly one that confers godhood, or even representation of deity, upon them.
I suppose that's true. The key is to regard the loved one as God but also human, sorta like...

Quote:
The concept you are proposing is called Pantheism, where the divine is in all things and that there is no separate god because all things are god.
Sorta like that. Everyone is of God, but you're my important one.

Quote:
Jesus had this idea in the Bible. He said: what you do to another, you do unto me.
And the whole body of Christ in like Acts or the Letters. Where it talks about an eye not being more important.

Speaking of which let's take a look at the Ten Commandments from this standpoint.

1 Don't you dare cheat on me. I mean it.
2 I don't want you being more into stuff than me either. That rpg game or anime series? Take a break from it after five hours and have sex with me.
3 Don't say you're doing something something for my good when it's clearly not. And don't use my name in a bad way.
4 Take a break sometimes.
5 I like your mom and dad. Don't talk bad about them.
6 Don't go hurting or killing other people because of me. And don't try to hurt or kill me.
7 Seriously, don't go around my back with another woman. I believe I covered this in Rule 1. If I'm up for a threesome, ask me. I'll tell you.
8 Don't steal. It's tacky.
9 I don't want you lying about other people either.
10 Stop being jeally.

Yay, it works!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,330,793 times
Quote:
I suppose that's true. The key is to regard the loved one as God but also human, sorta like...

Sorta like that. Everyone is of God, but you're my important one.

And the whole body of Christ in like Acts or the Letters. Where it talks about an eye not being more important.

Speaking of which let's take a look at the Ten Commandments from this standpoint.

2 I don't want you being more into stuff than me either. That rpg game or anime series? Take a break from it after five hours and have sex with me.
3 Don't say you're doing something something for my good when it's clearly not. And don't use my name in a bad way.
6 Don't go hurting or killing other people because of me. And don't try to hurt or kill me.
7 Seriously, don't go around my back with another woman. I believe I covered this in Rule 1. If I'm up for a threesome, ask me. I'll tell you.
10 Stop being jeally.

Yay, it works!
Holy crap, this is the worst arrangement ever .... a friggin' nightmare if you ask me, and why marriage has always been about appealing to me as a root canal. In fact, I've charged that romantic love, far more than hate, is the most destructive and hurtful set of actions and emotions we humans feel.

LOL! Especially number 2. If you're into RPG games and you enjoy doing it for 5 hours, the person you marry ought to be into them too so you don't have these annoying conflicts. But I've noticed that people are seriously lacking in maturity in this department. "Oh no, he/she's been doing something without me for a whole 5 hours!!! I better go over there and remind him/her that I'm at the apex of his/her social pyramid - and that means my baseless insecurities and immature possessiveness comes before your enjoyment and the needs of anyone else in your life." Yeah, that's essentially how it works. Personally, if you care about someone and you're comfortable with that person, you don't need to have him/her on a short leash nor do you need to have sex every time he/she is doing something else without you.

Hey, got news for you: If you plan to be with this person for the rest of your life, you're going to have plenty of time to be together. You don't need to insert yourself into every thing he/she does out of some weird desire to possess, own, and control the person you supposedly love. If you can't let him/her go for 5 hours, you're not gonna make it to forever.

So yeah, when it comes to "letting" your paramour do something without you for 5 hours, see rule number 10. Uh huh, YOU stop being "jeally." (And I used to play RPGs with other people and I know how irritated I used to get when someone couldn't show up because the "signifcant other" purposefully sabotaged the game by insisting that day be "date night.") I've seen it a million times. It's as if the significant other is testing the person to see if he/she would give up time playing a game with friends to ... I dunno ... usually couples end up wasting their lives watching television and doing odds and ends around the house because they don't really enjoy doing anything together haha.

So the idea of seeing divinity in another person ... I don't think it would work too well because, within the context of romantic love, it would be like owning and controlling God. It's akin to putting God in a burkha and saying, "Nope, this is MY god, all for me, and you can't have any. At all. For any reason."

Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM

Well, to a certain extent, this is exactly how committed relationships work. It's also why they fail, if they are too set in stone about stuff. Think of these as "Ten Guidelines For Making Me Happier" versus Ten Commandments.

People are are polytheistic. Also, there are open relationships. This model still works.

Also, if you are ignoring her completely for five hours, yea she might be jealous, no matter how emotionally healthy she is. Five hours is a long time to treat someone like they don't exist. My ideal is a girl who can play coop mode with me (fyi, I'm currently into a geek girl).

What does it mean to accept Jesus as your personal Savior?

So yea, there is some basis for that thinking. Tho I dunno about the burkha.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:

10 Stop being jeally.

1) You're my property
2) I want sex on a schedule. Too bad if you're doing something else. What I want comes first.
3) Your opinion doesn't matter. Don't talk about me unless I give you permission.
4) I'll determine when you do things.
5) I don't care if your parents beat you. I like them so don't diss them.
6) Yep. I'm all that so I'll make the rules on how you react to other people.
7) You have to do what I say.
8) I'm deciding values here, do what I say.
9) I'll decide what you say to other people
10) Hmmmmm..... I'm not sure why any grown woman would be jealous about a guy with that list of demands but whatever...listen up! little woman in the apron... I mean burka.... I mean whatever he tells you to wear.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM

446 posts, read 485,811 times
Quote:

Thoughts.
Seeing God In The One You Love ?
And what happens if the one you love is hit by a truck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality