Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
What do you think about the natural spontaneous origin of life?

Off-topic, friend.

(I think that it happened. It is a difficult scientific nut to crack. Plenty of reading to take in about it. Abiogenesis & The Origin of Life: Ideas, Research, and Myths)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Off-topic, friend.

(I think that it happened. It is a difficult scientific nut to crack. Plenty of reading to take in about it. Abiogenesis & The Origin of Life: Ideas, Research, and Myths)
I don't think it's off topic at all... in fact, very relevant to the topic. Sorry, can't go to the link here.

(I thought about saying something like "happy dancing" but didn't want to sound rude!)

I can see how it would be a very difficult scientific nut to crack..

Old 01-04-2008, 04:13 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:
I don't think it's off topic at all... in fact, very relevant to the topic. Sorry, can't go to the link here.

(I thought about saying something like "happy dancing" but didn't want to sound rude!)

I can see how it would be a very difficult scientific nut to crack..
How is it not off topic?? I don't remember reading Darwin's book "The Origin of Life". Only "The Origin of Species".

Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
How is it not off topic?? I don't remember reading Darwin's book "The Origin of Life". Only "The Origin of Species".
Well, how can you separate them? The "origin of life" would have to be part of the evolutionary process, would it not? How can it be a separate thing when we are not factoring in supernatural powers or events?

(Hey - long time no see, GCS!)

Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,448 times
"The "origin of life" would have to be part of the evolutionary process, would it not?"

What is your reasoning here?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Well, let's see if you can do better then him, then.

Here are a few of the points he mentioned..

Thoughts?
Yes I have a thought on this cg81.... my thought is that those aren't his thoughts at all. They're someones elses. Don't believe me??? Copy this particular post (that you referenced, by the way) into Google and see what comes up. Actually.... try some other ones and see what happens. He's just a random copy and paster who can't develop his own arguments.

So here you go, try this one:

Since abiogenesis is so clearly false, most evolutionists want to separate it from the theory of evolution. They want to start with a living cell and proceed from there. But that is cheating. You have to start at the starting line. You have to start with a dead planet that naturally and spontaneously produces the first living thing. -Malcolan

(Or should I say not Malcolan but Do-While Jones at this website Science Against Evolution Official Home Page)

Think it was just a fluke???? Try this one:

The reason why there are debates about evolutionary topics is because the things being discussed are matters of opinion, not scientific facts. Somebody finds a part of a jaw and thinks it came from a human ancestor. A second scientist (who usually has also discovered a part of a jaw, which he claims came from a human ancestor) says the first scientist is wrong. There is more ego involved than evidence. Objectivity is distorted by the desire (perhaps even the need) to have bragging rights. Do-While Jones

Here's the link to this article. Look at response number 5. I believe it's the second paragraph on that particular response. No Nonsense

Wanna quote him some more???

Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
"The "origin of life" would have to be part of the evolutionary process, would it not?"

What is your reasoning here?
From "A" to "Z", there are steps. There have to be, if you believe in evolution. Well, if "A" is nothing, dead, it would have to go thru a process or step which would bring it to "B" - something with life. Since it's all something that happens naturally, I see no reason why we would exclude this step from the evolutionary process. In fact, it would be the most important evolutionary step ever, yet appears largely ignored!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yes I have a thought on this cg81.... my thought is that those aren't his thoughts at all. They're someones elses.
Interesting... well, whether they're his or someone else's thoughts, the points left IMO were very valid. Thanks for doing the searching.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
From "A" to "Z", there are steps. There have to be, if you believe in evolution. Well, if "A" is nothing, dead, it would have to go thru a process or step which would bring it to "B" - something with life. Since it's all something that happens naturally, I see no reason why we would exclude this step from the evolutionary process. In fact, it would be the most important evolutionary step ever, yet appears largely ignored!
Actually it is not largely ignored, it is just unknown at the moment so all we can do is speculate on what happened. Some might say it's God, some may say it happened naturally via some chemical process, and some may say aliens did it (which only drives the process back further). However, it detracts nothing away from the evolutionary process itself. It's like two separate entities.

Good to see ya by the way.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Actually it is not largely ignored, it is just unknown at the moment so all we can do is speculate on what happened. Some might say it's God, some may say it happened naturally via some chemical process, and some may say aliens did it (which only drives the process back further). However, it detracts nothing away from the evolutionary process itself. It's like two separate entities.
The thing is... do you think it will ever be solved scientifically, since for something to come from nothing, or life from dead matter, is completely against scientific laws? I guess that would leave me with more questions... That, to me, is way more important than how WE got here (evolution vs creation). What created life? Even tho they are separated in the world of science, yet they are very much related to each other. For instance, since I believe in God, I believe He created life and the universe. But if we don't believe in God, we can't assign a supernatural event preceding the evolutionary process... it has to happen "naturally". Very interesting... sorry for my muddled thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality