Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,872,766 times

Advertisements

An excerpt from Pope Francis’s general audience yesterday:
I am sure that if I asked the question now, how many of you are arms manufacturers, the answer would be “none,” because they do not come to hear the Word of God. They are the fabricators of death; they are merchants of death, who make a profit out of death.
He went on to pray “that the fear of God might make them understand that one day it all ends and that they shall have to give account to God.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,025 times
Gun manufacturers are just trying to make a living, regardless of how religious they might be. Same as drug dealers though. And cars are very dangerous too.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:16 PM

We are not talking about manufacturers of Saturday night specials here we are talking about weapons of mass destruction that support war and terror around the world.

The U.S. continues to be the #1 arms dealer in the world. Foreign military sales by the U.S. were expected to reach $60 billion in fiscal 2012 ending September 30, according to Richard Genaille, deputy director of the Pentagon’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which brokers such government-to-government deals. Worldwide weapons sales by the United States tripled in 2011, according to a report by the Congressional Research Service. U.S. arms sales to both developed and developing nations reached $66.3 billion in 2011, up from $21.4 billion in 2010. Total worldwide weapon sales in 2011 nearly doubled to $85.3 billion, making the U.S. responsible for more than three-quarters (77.7%) of all global sales. Some of the biggest purchasers of U.S. weapons that year were Middle Eastern nations, including Saudi Arabia, whose 2011 purchase of 84 advanced F-15 fighters in part accounted for a $30 billion bill. And Egypt has been, and continues to be, a large recipient of U.S. military aid and weapons. In the wake of the recent coup and horrific violence carried out by the Egyptian military government, Egypt still stands to receive $1.3 billion in U.S. military aid.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Living here in the D.C. area I can tell you many are involved with the makers of these weapons.
We also know that weapon manufacturers are also spread out throughout the country so no one in congress will speak out against it for fear it would lead to a lost of jobs and lessen their chance to get reelected.
So what should a Catholic that works in this industry do now that the pope has such strong words.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,532,008 times
In May the Pope said the war in Syria was to be blamed on the weapons manufacturers "hatred, greed and love of money." Perhaps this was a continuation of that line of thought. He makes a good point.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,219,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
An excerpt from Pope Francis’s general audience yesterday:
I am sure that if I asked the question now, how many of you are arms manufacturers, the answer would be “none,” because they do not come to hear the Word of God. They are the fabricators of death; they are merchants of death, who make a profit out of death.
He went on to pray “that the fear of God might make them understand that one day it all ends and that they shall have to give account to God.”
Thanks to Winchester, Charter Arms and whoever made my Muzzleloader, I took 4 deer last year. I hope to get 4 or more this year. The way I see it, they have helped feed a lot of people.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,171,424 times
In that the last Pope before Francis devoted his focus to targeting American nuns who he believed were misguidedly spending too much time seeing to the needs of the parishioners rather than engaging in sin prevention, a Pope targeting arms manufacturers is a welcome change.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
In May the Pope said the war in Syria was to be blamed on the weapons manufacturers "hatred, greed and love of money." Perhaps this was a continuation of that line of thought. He makes a good point.
Archbishop Oscar Romero of San Salvador wrote to President Jimmy Carter pleading with him to cease sending military aid because he wrote, "it is being used to repress my people." The U.S. sent $1.5 million in aid every day for 12 years. His letter went unheeded. Two months later he would be assassinated.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Thanks to Winchester, Charter Arms and whoever made my Muzzleloader, I took 4 deer last year. I hope to get 4 or more this year. The way I see it, they have helped feed a lot of people.
Again this is not about Saturday Night Specials or about you hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality