Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 AM

69 posts, read 211,510 times

Advertisements

Through my many travels as a military spouse (now retired), I have come across many people who described themselves as "God fearing Christians". My question is.... why is there a fear of God? I am not Christian or associated to any organized religion so I am confused. I have been told and have read that God is loving and forgiving. Why are some fearful? If anyone could answer this it would make me a bit wiser. LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 PM

599 posts, read 1,262,444 times
I'm not sure they mean "fear" in the way we normally think of that word. I'm assuming they mean more of a respect for God and His commandments rather than a fear of God. Just MHO.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,255,238 times
Most people make no distinction between respect and fear.
I mean why else call it fear if you only mean respect, right?

Old 12-15-2007, 12:20 PM

69 posts, read 211,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
I'm not sure they mean "fear" in the way we normally think of that word. I'm assuming they mean more of a respect for God and His commandments rather than a fear of God. Just MHO.
Hey Deb, thanks for your input. I appreciate it. While I understand what you are describing, why not say "I am a God respecting Christian" instead of God fearing".... I can totally understand respect, but fear conjures up a whole different emotion in me......

Old 12-15-2007, 02:15 PM

23,026 posts, read 34,436,211 times
Job 28:28 " And this is what He says to all humanity, the fear of the Lord is true wisdom, to forsake evil is real understanding".
Psalm 25:12 "Who are those who fear the Lord? He will show them the path they should choose".
To fear the Lord is to recognize God's attributes, He is holy, almighty, righteous, pure, all knowing, all powerful and all wise. When we regard God correctly we gain a clearer picture of ourselves, our need for Him, and we recognize who God is.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:06 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,653 times
I think this quote says it all.

People pray to god so that he doesn't squash them like bugs. - House M.D.

Personally, I've traveled around a lot as well; and have heard this more in the southern U.S. than anywhere else. I think it stems from a typically more agressive view of God who is going to either allow you to live forever in his eternal kingdom or torture your rotten no good soul in the fiery depths of hell for an eternity. I think, that if one believed in that version they would most definitely fear him.

On that note, I always wondered if it is with fear that they worship him or if it is with genuine love. In my neck of the woods, I often see or hear people preaching about fire and brimstone and it makes me wonder how different it is than any dictator such as Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Kim Jong Il, etc... Aren't the people "loving" the dictator in these countries so that the dictator doesn't destroy them? I think it was pretty evident in Iraq when Saddam left that there was genuine hatred/ill will towards him and it was no secret that he put "the fear of God" in those who were against his particular political agenda.

So is it fear that really makes the case for your Christian faith or is it that you actually REALLY believe that there is a God out there that is so loving and yet so vengeful? I think to a certain degree, to believe in hell is to essentially be god-fearing especially since you believe he's the one making the ultimate decision on your "eternal soul".

I'm not a believer in any god, but I cannot get past the part where if I was convinced there were a god it most certainly wouldn't be the Christian god. Furthermore, I still wouldn't worship him/her/it because things greater than I should be content with their stance or role in the grand scheme of things, no? After all, it is a divine deity, what does my mere human gesture of worship mean to him? How altogether human and selfish of said deity!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:30 PM

14,918 posts, read 17,235,494 times
I agree that it has to do with having respect and reverence for God. I believe that it is acknowledging God's sovereignty and position as God and involves seeking to do His will in the lives of those who profess Him. The apostle John speaks of those abiding in the love of God, having no fear in love because perfect love casts out fear, fear in this respect meaning to be terrified or afraid. John 4. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-15-2007 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 PM

103 posts, read 92,601 times
If the megalomaniacal god of the Bible is real, I think everyone should indeed be very, very afraid.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:47 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,733,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post
If the megalomaniacal god of the Bible is real, I think everyone should indeed be very, very afraid.
Then start being afraid. Very afraid.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 PM

103 posts, read 92,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Then start being afraid. Very afraid.
Nah, I'm not afraid of fairytales. I'm much more afraid of the real life kooks who DO believe them and want to force their beliefs on everyone.

PS I am glad to see you do agree that the Biblical god is a megalomaniac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality