Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times

Advertisements

Why do Jehovah Witnesses choose to not celebrate Christmas, birthdays, Thanksgiving and from my understanding all holidays? I was speaking with one of the directors where I work and the topic of religion came up and she had mentioned her family does not celebrate Thanksgiving because of her religion -- as Jehovah's Witness. They do believe themselves to be Christians, however that is a confusing point for me as well because, again from my studies, don't they view Jesus as "a" god, instead of God? I do know they don't believe in the trinity. So, guess my OP was more of a multi-question than I originally intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:20 PM

47 posts, read 202,707 times
Hoosier, I would ask one of them personally. I always believe the best way to find the truth about someones faith is to make sure thay are a practicing "whatever" and ask them specifically to answer it for you. I rarely trust what someone else says about anothers faith, it is usually skewed in one direction or another. Maybe someone will reply

Old 12-15-2007, 03:30 PM

yeah, I am hoping someone who is in that faith will reply. I do agree about people from other faiths...many times you get good information, however it is from a different worldview. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
From what I understand, JWs consider those holidays to be 'pagan' in origin, and thus unbiblical. Their theology says that God and Jesus are separate entities, and that Jesus is not God, but rather, the first and most powerful angel - hence, the 'son' of God.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 16,152 times
Why don't they celebrate Christmas? You have internet, find out yourself. Go to google and type in "Who was born on chrismas day or Was Jesus born on Desember 25, and you will see why they don't celebrate these events. I am not a Jehova's witness, but after some research they are more right than the most Christians. Let me know what you find ...

Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 16,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanN View Post
Hoosier, I would ask one of them personally. I always believe the best way to find the truth about someones faith is to make sure thay are a practicing "whatever" and ask them specifically to answer it for you. I rarely trust what someone else says about anothers faith, it is usually skewed in one direction or another. Maybe someone will reply
I really would like to hear from people that did do some research on Christmas day and other days like easter. I did some research and they are all pagon based days, accepted by christians on later years. The church let us sing christmas songs and preach about Jesus birth on Des 25, but it is not true, i actually don't know what to teach my children about this, i cannot lie to them.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapheal View Post
Why don't they celebrate Christmas? You have internet, find out yourself. Go to google and type in "Who was born on chrismas day or Was Jesus born on Desember 25, and you will see why they don't celebrate these events. I am not a Jehova's witness, but after some research they are more right than the most Christians. Let me know what you find ...

Well, I am smart enough that I know I can google that information. However this forum is specifically designed for questions such as these. I'd prefer to talk with someone who is a JW then just google it and read. I'd rather interact with someone on this topic...thus this forum exists.

And if you want to know what they believe, google it or go to wikipedia. Enjoy!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:52 PM

8 posts, read 30,016 times
Jehovah's Witnesses differencesDebunking the Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs:
A) They are at your door to recruit you for enslavement to their watchtower corporation,they will say that "we are just here to share a message from the Bible" this is deception right off.

B) The 'message' is their false Gospel that Jesus is ruling in heaven already since 1914.The problem with this is it's not just a cute fairy tale,Jesus warned of the false prophets who would claim "..look he is here in the wilderness,or see here he is at the temple"

C) Their anti-blood transfusion ban has killed hundreds if not thousands D) once they recruit you they will "love bomb" you in cult fashion to also recruit your family & friends or cut them off. There are many more dangers,Jehovah's Witnesses got a bad rap for good and valid reasons.

99% of the world has rejected the teachings of the Watchtower Jehovah’s Witnesses as a ‘joke’ but the darker truth is they are a destructive and oppressive organization.
--
Danny Haszard Jehovah's Witness X 33 years

Old 12-16-2007, 02:28 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
The only thing I know about JW's is that they don't like it when a person says, 'God bless you' after sneezing.
I heard that from an ex JW that told me if I ever wanted to make one mad, to say 'God bless you'
I didn't ask why.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
The only thing I know about JW's is that they don't like it when a person says, 'God bless you' after sneezing.
I heard that from an ex JW that told me if I ever wanted to make one mad, to say 'God bless you'
I didn't ask why.
They told me that calling Jehovah God was disrespectful, and he desired us to use His name when referring to Him..In the New World Translation the Watchtower Society changed God to Jehovah in almost every instance..I am not sure if they allowed you to say Jehovah bless you for sneezing or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality