Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
200 years ago, someone might have asked, how is it possible to go across the Atlantic Ocean in 3 hours?

100 years ago, someone might have asked, how is it possible to travel to moon?
And 400 years from now, someone might ask, "Is llOOooOll ever going to give anyone a straight answer instead of ducking every single question?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,977 times
In the answer to the question, the Flood Story is common to many many cultures.

It is conceivable that more than one family was involved, just one boat appeared in the Middle East local to where Noah was. It is also conceivable to believe that at one point, the Earth was probably largely Pangaea. We like to think this included all of the continents of the Earth, but this may not have been the case.

Maybe the flood was actually the sinking of an island. Consider the flood story from the perspective of the Fall of Atlantis. Why can't we find proof of Atlantis today? Duh, because it was washed away. This even happened about 3000 BC, meaning a city underwater for 5000 years at least. As historians has noted from water damage in places like Venice, clay and stone tends to break down. After that amount of time, you'd not find anything besides rocks and sea plants. But here's the thing. We have no concrete disproof of Atlantis being destroyed. But we have proof of it being there, in a specific sea plant pattern, of underwater islands.

(Ignore the Martians theory, and concentrate on the story of Atlantis)

Spirit Science 12 ~ The Human History Movie - YouTube

Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
My question remains:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How did so many people manage to be offspring from 4 couples in 100-150 years?
It must be the dating of the pyramids is off.
Archaeologists believe Egypt’s large pyramids are the work of the Old Kingdom society that rose to prominence in the Nile Valley after 3000 B.C. Historical analysis tells us that the Egyptians built the Giza Pyramids in a span of 85 years between 2589 and 2504 BC.

Biblical dates (I Kings 6:1, Gal 3:17, various generation lengths given in Genesis) place the Flood 1300 years before Solomon began the first temple. We can construct reliable chronologies for near Eastern history, particularly for Egypt, from many kinds of records from the literate cultures in the near East. These records are independent of, but supported by, dating methods such as dendrochronology and carbon-14. The building of the first temple can be dated to 950 B.C. + some small delta, placing the Flood around 2250 B.C. Unfortunately, the Egyptians (among others) have written records dating well back before 2250 B.C. (the Great Pyramid, for example dates to the 26th century B.C., 300 years before the Biblical date for the Flood). No sign in Egyptian inscriptions of this global flood around 2250 B.C.

Last edited by Eusebius; 06-19-2014 at 06:14 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Why, Eusebius, that looked to me like you disagreed with the 'official' date of the pyramids and then posted some evidence that showed you were wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

It is conceivable that more than one family was involved, just one boat appeared in the Middle East local to where Noah was. It is also conceivable to believe that at one point, the Earth was probably largely Pangaea. We like to think this included all of the continents of the Earth, but this may not have been the case.

Maybe the flood was actually the sinking of an island. Consider the flood story from the perspective of the Fall of Atlantis. Why can't we find proof of Atlantis today? Duh, because it was washed away. This even happened about 3000 BC, meaning a city underwater for 5000 years at least. As historians has noted from water damage in places like Venice, clay and stone tends to break down. After that amount of time, you'd not find anything besides rocks and sea plants. But here's the thing. We have no concrete disproof of Atlantis being destroyed. But we have proof of it being there, in a specific sea plant pattern, of underwater islands.

The 'Pangea' idea turns out to be more complex than the simple super -continent that split up after the flood idea that creationists have siezed on. I find the idea that an entire continent was conveniently 'washed away' in order to explain why there is no sign of it rather an extreme example of explaining away evidence of absence.

Not even flood -enthusiasts try to argue that evidence for a global flood has been washed away. Instead of course anything that even looks like a large scale sedimentary deposit - evidence of the Flood.

But as I say, a flood that is around 3,000 BC or later, and you really have nothing, other than some very limited mud deposits in Ur.

One thing that came out of the Flood discussion was that the rather over-excited claim that the mesolithic Black Sea flood was the Noachian one was that the continental ice -melt that cause it would of course have caused a lot of floods all over the world, though of course it was far from a total global flood. That would be one explanation as to why there are so many flood -stories. In a way, could argue that it validates the flood of Noah...though I think the attempt to find Noah in the sediment of the Black Sea is a futile search that is best left to the disciples of Wyatt - though of course, they will still be looking in Turkey for Noah.

I can be cool with all of that, since anything short of a total global flood is going to discredit the Bible account, which is pretty reliably based on a mesopotamian story that was about those limited riverine floodings in UR, and not a memory of the Mesolithic global flood.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-19-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
And what happens to the theory of evolution?
Well, I gather that it has to be speeded up so the whole process takes only a few hundred years or so.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-19-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,220 times
Quote:
It is speculation, of course, but as the Ice Age ended 12,000 years or so ago, not only did sea levels rise, but not unexpectedly, there would be regular flooding along inland waterways, as more and more ice melted.

Put me into the camp that says that the reason there are so many flood narratives is that so many of us lived along rivers prone to flooding over a period of millennia.

Quote:
Pangaea was long long ago, forming some 300 million years ago and breaking up beginning some 100 million years ago, long before the existence of humans. To my mind, the only relevant timeline begins with the end of the last great ice age, some 12,000 years ago, which created regularly recurring conditions that continued well in the time of the Mesopotamian civilizations when the legend of Utnapishtem (the model for the Noah story) was first written.

Quote:
See, the problem with this view, as I see it, is that I dont see any geological justification for such a view. Tectonic plates can suffer subduction (being driven under another plate as a result of movement and collision). I'm just not seeing it, from my reading of geology, that the earth opens up and swallows land masses of any kind.

Again, speculative, but the volcanic explosion of Thera/Sattorini island/volcano is roughly 1500 BC is more likely the origin of the Atlantis legend. The Egyptians were certainly aware of the Minoans, and speculation is that it was a great Minoan city that was destroyed in the catastrophe. The crater and the island are still there, although highly changed from its previous state.

Last edited by chuckmann; 06-19-2014 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 AM

Nice post. Btw. I tried to find the case for Atlantis proven through sea -plant distribution, but couldn't. The 'Grid' on the sea -floor 600 miles of Africa (not really the right place) was explained as a computer-data error. Another cover - up by the Illuminati.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Why, Eusebius, that looked to me like you disagreed with the 'official' date of the pyramids and then posted some evidence that showed you were wrong.
Yup, I saw that too.

I am waiting with abated breath to see him explain that.

I suspect I may turn blue before that happens, though.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I like to give a fair hearing from both sides. It's called not being biased.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 AM

Hmm. I suspect it is the old 'Keyword' method where you cut and paste something on the subject and don't bother to read it first.

The topic though...there is no reason at all why the Pyramids wouldn't survive a year -long global flood. In fact it could be argued that a lot of pyramids didn't (satellite surveys have revealed some large ones that are just foundations) and the main objection to a flood around the time of the pyramids is the lack of any sound and coherent archeological or historical evidence for a global flood at the time.

I note the 14th c BC Bronze -age tsunami caused by the explosion of Thera, and I like the idea that Plato got his Atlantis story from that. It is even possible he did find the account in Egypt, because the Egyptians certainly traded with the 'Kheftiu' and would have heard reports about the volcano and tidal wave the destroyed the Minoan trading empire.

That of course is far too late for a Noachian flood at the time of the Pyramids and Sumer - 300-240 BC. There is a bit of an element with the Dainiken Alientech- Atlantean Floodstuff alliance of combining anything that seems to fit, never mind whether it dates from Old Kingdom Egypt, 15th Century AD South america, 4th c BC Greece or the stone age. Between the Pyramids and the maya 'pyramid' builders is as long a time as between Rameses II and us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality