Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:51 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,639,960 times

Advertisements

God said this would happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,045,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay within the last year, I have decided to give up on being a practicing Christian after I was raised as one. I don't read the Bible, pray, and am pretty much disillusioned with Christianity. I drink, I party, and am becoming more liberal by the day. But for some reason every few weeks, I get the urge to go to church and I end up going. I usually enjoy being in worship and don't completely tune out the message. Could it be compulsion after going to church nearly every Sunday in my youth? Am I not going to be able to make a clean break from Christianity?

As far as what I think of God. I would place my belief now closer to Deism, meaning after God created everything, he butted out and does nothing today. Do I have hope of getting out of this confusion?
What exactly is it about the messages in church that turns you off?

For me it was always the threat of eternal torment. So once I finally had it with that teaching I left Christianity. But now I consider myself a believer. I have been able to go much deeper into theological matters than most "Christians" due to finding a much better translated Bible: the Concordant Literal New Testament and the teachings coming out of that better translation. You can find out more about some of those teachings by going here: Concordant Publishing Concern and here Saviour of all Fellowship, universal reconciliation, salvation of all mankind

Don't give up on God and what Christ did.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 PM

446 posts, read 487,335 times
Quote:
Okay within the last year, I have decided to give up on being a practicing Christian after I was raised as one. I don't read the Bible, pray, and am pretty much disillusioned with Christianity. I drink, I party, and am becoming more liberal by the day. But for some reason every few weeks, I get the urge to go to church and I end up going. I usually enjoy being in worship and don't completely tune out the message. Could it be compulsion after going to church nearly every Sunday in my youth? Am I not going to be able to make a clean break from Christianity?

As far as what I think of God. I would place my belief now closer to Deism, meaning after God created everything, he butted out and does nothing today. Do I have hope of getting out of this confusion?
Here,

RealityOfGod | Dr. Laurence B Brown

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,144,620 times
Quote:

The only way to get out is to feed more information into your brain. It's the information which makes things confusing and which clears things up. Just depends on which information you'll be lucky to get.

I actually love the worship songs even though I don't believe either. I just remember the feelings that I've felt when I did believe. And they are beautiful. And so it's more like for sentimentality I guess or to experience a beautiful moment. (which is the same thing as sentimentality come to think of it, I think people are sentimental about certain things because they bring on the old nice feelings)

Seek and you shall find. Just keep searching, put your heart in "search" mode (as you are doing). And now start being aware of the answers. You should start noticing them as you run into different kinds of information. At some point you may become more confused than ever. And at another point, things may clear up.

Our brain has to have the right links (the right information), in order to create a picture of reality. So as soon as the right information leeks into your brain and as soon as the right links get created, you''ll see clearly (or at least as clear as one could).

Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,013,407 times
This post proves that just because someone is at church does not necessary mean they are are Christian. Perhaps you have never asked Jesus to be your personal saviour.

Yes the Lord loves you you more than you could imagine. Yet whatever you decide if you leave church or not it is written in the Bible:
2 Peter3:9The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:43 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,045,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
This post proves that just because someone is at church does not necessary mean they are are Christian. Perhaps you have never asked Jesus to be your personal saviour.
Where is that in the Bible that if you ask Jesus to be your personal saviour then you are saved?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
I still say that trotting out the old lie about atheists in foxholes discredits this bod right at the outset. If he can't tell the truth about mundane matters, how can we trust him on supernatural claims?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,391,268 times
Going to temple and reading scriptures does not make a person anything. You have to love god as much as possible, period. Liberals are not against god, their are just some people who are too stupid to understand the simplest of right and wrong. Like two people of the same gender, being sexual as a couple is wrong. A male and female is okay. How simple is that. Respect other peoples religion as well.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,013,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Where is that in the Bible that if you ask Jesus to be your personal saviour then you are saved?
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

If you accept Jesus as your saviour then you become a Christian. You are not Christian if you just go to church and perform other religious rituals if you do not have Jesus in your life.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:05 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,456,052 times
Quote:

Mine is, I'm done with the 'organization'. But never on God. I too in my teens felt incomplete if I don't hear mass once a week. But now I'm completely non practicing. I just find it easier talking to God anywhere, anytime, anyway. Even that, I rarely do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality