Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM

135 posts, read 128,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course, when you read it in context, it says only those that know Christ will be saved.
Ah the Christian God. When terrible or unfortunate things happen he's too complicated for our mere human brains to understand his will. But when it comes to who will or will not suffer for eternity thousands of Christians claim that they know what he means and thousands of Christians can not agree on it. He's super mysterious but each individual follower seems to have God figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A group of top AIDS researchers was on that plane. They were people who dedicated their lives to finding a cure. One or more of them could have been the Salk of our times and brought an end to the suffering and devastation AIDS has caused.

THEIR lives mattered. Their lives mattered very much.

I think every.single.life on that plane mattered. The people who were killed were much-loved sisters and sons and friends and co-workers and I cannot imagine what was in the hearts of the people who chose to bring that plane down. Nothing good.
I have never suggested their lives didn't matter. Where did you get that idea from?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM

11,284 posts, read 11,053,466 times
Quote:
This life is a drop in the bucket of eternity. While we may weep for them....fact of the matter is, 2000 years from now is our petty lifespan going to matter? I hope to live 90+ years....but in the view of eternity, I can die tomorrow and it's going to be inconsequential to eternity.
Very wise words Vizio, but when you say stuff like this, it really makes me wonder how you can love a god that would damn the majority of mankind to hell for an eternity for simply not accepting Him during this finite life of, say, what, 80 years?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
Ah the Christian God. When terrible or unfortunate things happen he's too complicated for our mere human brains to understand his will. But when it comes to who will or will not suffer for eternity thousands of Christians claim that they know what he means and thousands of Christians can not agree on it. He's super mysterious but each individual follower seems to have God figured out.
We only know what he has said. He said that without Jesus, NO ONE gets to heaven. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 PM

20,064 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
So you think all of the people who died will be in a better place eventually? None will be punished or will be worse off? Just curious as to what exactly you mean
Eubie is our resident creationist / intelligent design apologist but, unusually, he is also among the minority of Christians who embrace universal reconciliation.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Very wise words Vizio, but when you say stuff like this, it really makes me wonder how you can love a god that would damn the majority of mankind to hell for an eternity for simply not accepting Him during this finite life of, say, what, 80 years?
No one goes to hell simply because they didn't accept Him. The offense is not to reject Christ. The offense is to sin against God.

Does a convicted killer serve his prison term because the governor didn't pardon him? Or does he serve his term because he's guilty?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
I have never suggested their lives didn't matter. Where did you get that idea from?
Relax, Viz. My response was MY thoughts..... triggered by your post. Not a challenge to a duel.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM

20,064 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
Does a convicted killer serve his prison term because the governor didn't pardon him? Or does he serve his term because he's guilty?
And do all convicted criminals get the death penalty regardless of their crime?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,547 times
Quote:
This life is a drop in the bucket of eternity. While we may weep for them....fact of the matter is, 2000 years from now is our petty lifespan going to matter? I hope to live 90+ years....but in the view of eternity, I can die tomorrow and it's going to be inconsequential to eternity.
LOL! And you accuse atheists of having lives with no purpose? Haha!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:30 PM

135 posts, read 128,267 times
Quote:
We only know what he has said. He said that without Jesus, NO ONE gets to heaven. I'm sorry if that offends you.
Yeah the Bible says all sorts of things that are parable or literal depending on who you ask. You might take the stance that it's all literal in which case it just contridicts itself. Call me crazy but the assertion that I will burn for eternity no matter how good I am in this life while a pedophile and murderer get to live eternally in bliss as long as they accept Jesus during their last year is kind of offensive. Maybe I'm just easily offended
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality