Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:26 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I am so tired of churches condemning people and trying to call down hellfire and punishment on people. We say that God is a God of love, but we sure don't act like we believe it.

They are condemning people's behavior. There are things that God did not tolerate either, both in the old and new testaments. In case you didn't read. God is also a God of life, of truth, of intelligence and of principle.....
IF you have faith in a god.

If one doesn't, most of the gaffle bab can be quiet insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
I am so tired of churches condemning people and trying to call down hellfire and punishment on people. We say that God is a God of love, but we sure don't act like we believe it.

They are condemning people's behavior. There are things that God did not tolerate either, both in the old and new testaments. In case you didn't read. God is also a God of life, of truth, of intelligence and of principle.....
Some of us don't care what a 3,000 year-old desert tribal god tolerates. For those who do care, they are free to a) not become strippers and b) not to frequent strip clubs.

But the -real- reason why this church is making such a big deal over this is because the hen pecking wives of the congregation are fearful that their husbands might go to the club. Maybe, from now on, a lot of church-going men will be working late on Fridays (nudge, wink)

"No ... no, I'm sorry Mildred but I won't be home for our usual Friday night Andy Griffith Show marathon on Netflix. Uh huh .... uh huh .... yes, I know tonight is the episode when Opie gets caught cheating on a math test. Uh huh .... no, the boss is really kicking my ass, err, I mean butt on this project and if I don't get it done, I'll end up being the company boob. Uh huh ... I'll try to be home when I can, but I have to work or my boss could (ahem) strip me of my job. Yes, I'll remember to pick up a jug of milk on the way home. (snicker snicker). Oh, nothing ... nothing's funny, dear, I was just clearing my throat. I'll be home in a few hours. Love you too."

Old 08-13-2014, 05:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Why can't these idiot pastors actually focus on something Christian that is actually USEFUL for a change? Instead, their anti-sex and modesty fetishes seem to occupy every waking thought.
An excellent question, Shirina!

Several of the regulars on this forum are pastors. Perhaps they have the inside scoop on the actions of their fellow men-of-the-cloth. Let's see how many of them give you an answer.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:

It's not just condemning people's behavior. They are taking photos of license plates in the parking lot and posting them online. Are they running the plates to see if any of their members are there? No, they're posting faces and license plates of customers online. For what purpose? To shame them. I'm sure at least some of the customers don't attend that church. What business is it of theirs who goes to the club? Who appointed them overseers of that city? They appointed themselves. I wish someone could follow them (especially the pastor) and see what things he does (or they all do) that's a "sin" and post that on the internet. One part of an article says they're calling the women names.

The pastor said the club has no place in the community and they will continue to protest until the club is out of business.

That pastor has no business in that community.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It's not just condemning people's behavior. They are taking photos of license plates in the parking lot and posting them online. Are they running the plates to see if any of their members are there? No, they're posting faces and license plates of customers online. For what purpose? To shame them.
Hello Mike930 et. al.

That's one part of the stratagy I don't understand. Are there full-grown adults who are ashamed of being seen going into a strip club? If I decide to go to a strip club (and alas it has been a long time) what of it? Why should I be frightened to have the information made public? What comeuppance do they fear?

Thanks.

PS - Yes, I am married...and if you're going without the wife's knowledge, your relationship and communication skills need work more than your moral fiber.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Before I reply to this post, I will first say that there is a key on your keyboard above the shift key on the right. It's called enter (return if you use a Mac). It allows for space between paragraphs, making a much more readable experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Matthew 5;28,
The whole premise of stripping is to inspire sex. Lust, fornication.
Jesus said that, it's not just the act of fornication, but the lust for it in ones heart/mind that one is judged.
In this event is abuse to another persons life, with approval or not.
Exposure to the contrast of man's thinking, compared to God's thinking, is what we see here.
A man that is not born again and Holy Spirit filled, hasn't the capacity to obey God, nor is he interested in obeying God, nor should he be forced to behave as though he is, falsely.
Alright... then why protest strippers? Strippers aren't committing the sin, technically. The sin is committed by those who go to the strip club.

Quote:
I don't agree with trying to belittle others into submission.
1 It doesn't work.
2. It's not God's way.
3. Those that prefer rebellion, will get what they have earned .
4. Those that love God, will get what they have earned.

Quote:
That being said,
The down fall of this country is the same as Rome and Germany sexual abuse.lust for power, especially of those in power.
Pretty sure the main problem with Rome was being spread too thin and rampant political corruption, both in the fall of the republic and the empire.

As for Germany... which fall? Germany didn't even technically exist until the late 1800s. All of which fell due to military defeat. Germany hasn't fallen since.

Quote:
Modern man is stupider than his predecessors . Having "not" learned from mistakes of the past.
There is value in moral behavior, and disregarding it, is the problem all men face.
When moral behavior meant something , as a nation we did well.
When it was undermined, so did the fabric of society.
Stupider is a bit objective. We've really learned a lot, and I'd say we're become more moral in a sense. We elected leaders instead of basing leadership on lineage, we created human rights, we've done better with human punishments, and done away with slavery. Morally, are we really that bad off? I guess I don't consider 'sexual immoralities' to be worse than denying people freedom. Perhaps your putting too much weight on the strip club goers?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello Mike930 et. al.

That's one part of the stratagy I don't understand. Are there full-grown adults who are ashamed of being seen going into a strip club? If I decide to go to a strip club (and alas it has been a long time) what of it? Why should I be frightened to have the information made public? What comeuppance do they fear?

Thanks.

PS - Yes, I am married...and if you're going without the wife's knowledge, your relationship and communication skills need work more than your moral fiber.
no one should be taking photos of people anywhere and posting them online. maybe they don't fear anything, maybe they just don't want to be harassed.
and if someone does want to keep that private, then they have every right to do that.
if someone is married and going and keeping it a secret from his wife, then it is between that person and his wife.
taking photos and threatening to out people online could be considered blackmail. blackmail is illegal.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
What comeuppance do they fear?
In Coshocton County, Ohio? Public condemnation by a type of self-righteous people only that part of Ohio can produce. Think Bible Belt. Only more conservative.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 PM

59 posts, read 85,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Does the Bible actually say stripping is wrong? I mean, I get that it's probably not promoted, but still.

Wasn't Jesus known for hanging out and showing a great deal of kindness to social rejects, like prostitutes. Surely he'd do the same with strippers? I'm obviously not saying he'd be in the club with a stack of ones, it's most just he'd be supportive of them if they're facing a difficult time.
You seem to forget that Jesus told prostitutes............" go and sin no more"

nowhere does it say he approved of their actions.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:43 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
In Coshocton County, Ohio? Public condemnation by a type of self-righteous people only that part of Ohio can produce. Think Bible Belt. Only more conservative.
Hello DewDropInn.

That's a fair point. I guess it's an American sub-culture I'm unaccustomed to. I grew up just outside of New York City and still live in Northeastern NJ. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone around here much cares what you do on your own time and your own dime.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality