Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Pinacled is the title of my Graphic novel. I miss spelled it and stuck with it. I reasoned there is an n behind the n.
Arequipa was my password, typed in the wrong box, so I got stuck with it. Transponder I was in earlier times on the AN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I heard an interesting comment that made me stop and think: "Evolution works great to explain all life except for humans". What should have come about in 20-30 million years somehow happened in 2 or 3 million... even from the scientific angle that's very strange!

On the plus side I did use Evolution to make some gold the other day which came in really handy. Poor YEer's don't know what their missing!
I also was given some serious questions about human evolution and (just between you an' me and don't let the Creationists know) there is quite a good case to be made for Intervention around 10,000 years ago when the the ape banging rocks together suddenly transformed into a bod who decorated the cave walls, ritually interred their dead and the womenfold invented formalized gossip to replace the sign -language they couldn't use while making pebble -bead necklaces.

I keep telling myself that this is a normal progression of evolutionary development, but I sometimes wonder.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 AM

408 posts, read 607,647 times
Quote:
Religious Chemistry.
Are you suggesting science as a component of religion? It would certainly be ironic given how many scientists & thinkers were ordered slaughtered by Vatican decree over the course of some 1,500 years.

Let's not mix the grown-up stuff with fictional writings, folks. NO offense OP...

Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I also was given some serious questions about human evolution and (just between you an' me and don't let the Creationists know) there is quite a good case to be made for Intervention around 10,000 years ago when the the ape banging rocks together suddenly transformed into a bod who decorated the cave walls, ritually interred their dead and the womenfold invented formalized gossip to replace the sign -language they couldn't use while making pebble -bead necklaces.

I keep telling myself that this is a normal progression of evolutionary development, but I sometimes wonder.
Well, there's still plenty of room for a good mystery anyway! I suspect we don't have anywhere near the whole story of mankind in the "official" history of the world... In fact, I think we skipped the first 2/3rds of the textbook.

Wish I knew!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Well, there's still plenty of room for a good mystery anyway! I suspect we don't have anywhere near the whole story of mankind in the "official" history of the world... In fact, I think we skipped the first 2/3rds of the textbook.

Wish I knew!
There's already been archaeological sites of sophisticated stonework and architecture that go back thousands of years before Sumeria - the first documented civilization. Puma Punku is a really good example.

Clearly the history of civilization, let alone the history of Mankind, is far longer than from Sumeria to now. It's kinda sad in its way. I wonder if the citizens of those ancient places ever dreamed that their city, their knowledge, customs, beliefs, music - all of it - would be completely and totally forgotten as if they had never been.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Are you suggesting science as a component of religion? It would certainly be ironic given how many scientists & thinkers were ordered slaughtered by Vatican decree over the course of some 1,500 years.

Let's not mix the grown-up stuff with fictional writings, folks. NO offense OP...

Religion;4: A cause, principle, or activity pursued with conscientious devotion.
This is what I define as religion and Spirituality..
So to Clarify on the Philosophers Stone. It is exactly as it sounds. The Stone is the foundation of beliefs.
The philosophy is the principle on how to practice. It is an old order that speaks in symbols. A cryptic language for the scientist in the days of persecution of the ROMAN CATHOLIC church. These were the alchemist. Great minds like leonardo da vinchi. and so on.
As they were great minds they were also devoted to God.
So as I have seen the progression of evolutions findings it seems as though we tend to be content with what we have learned and dismissed God. AS we do this we lose our sense of wonder. And cease to discover. Personally I did not stop after school. I eat books. The Graphic Novel Pinacled Is based on the premise. What if evolution continues? What is at the end?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
There's already been archaeological sites of sophisticated stonework and architecture that go back thousands of years before Sumeria - the first documented civilization. Puma Punku is a really good example.

Clearly the history of civilization, let alone the history of Mankind, is far longer than from Sumeria to now. It's kinda sad in its way. I wonder if the citizens of those ancient places ever dreamed that their city, their knowledge, customs, beliefs, music - all of it - would be completely and totally forgotten as if they had never been.

I was actually just talking to some of my native bros about this.
In the native creation myth there is a turtle. You have to listen to the old stories and understand they are our ancestors way of reminding us of our origins. sea turtle people traveled across sea To central America from Africa. If they were not strange how would they last? Thus bringing with them the ritual of sacrifice.
As with math just simplify the equation.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
So as I have seen the progression of evolutions findings it seems as though we tend to be content with what we have learned and dismissed God. AS we do this we lose our sense of wonder. And cease to discover. Personally I did not stop after school. I eat books. The Graphic Novel Pinacled Is based on the premise. What if evolution continues? What is at the end?
One of the wonderful things about science is that answering one question will invariably result in two or three new questions - and this is exactly what scientists love about their jobs. You ask what is at the end - there will be no end. Not unless humanity suddenly realizes, "Whoa, we literally know everything!"

Therefore, to say that somehow God is necessary to keep discovering - well - it's actually the other way around, in most cases. I've met very few, VERY few deists. Almost everyone who believes in God also believes in a religion associated with that God.

Religion often tries to explain things in absolutist terms. It is this way, this happened, this is why. And it leaves no room for questioning, debate, or thought. Believe it or suffer the eternal consquences when you die.

I remember reading an article once in the peer reviewed journal Sociology about the effects of religion on discovery. It talked about a man sitting in a chair reading a book. Suddenly the lights go out. Usually that man would get up and begin asking questions, investigating why the lights went out. Did the bulb burn out? Did the power fail completely? Is there a short in the wire? Did a fuse blow? Did he forget to pay the electric bill? These questions would be investigated and a solution would be actively sought.

But what if the man was religious with a devout belief in God? He might then think that the failing light is simply God's will and do nothing at all. He'll just wait until it's God's will for the lights to come on.

Now, granted, even most believers wouldn't sit in the dark waiting for a magical solution to not having light. BUT, we see all the time from science-deniers, apologists and young earth creationists - those who take the Bible literally - that many people DO believe the universe was created by God, life was started by God, and everything exists because of God. Well ... if you already know the answers to these questions (it was God) then there isn't much point to probing any further. That would be like continuing to look for a set of misplaced keys even after you've already found them.

I know that when the skies are clear here (which is like once or twice a month) I do some star gazing, and that sense of wonder gazing up into that infinite expanse of universe - seeing those twinkling points of light dozens or even thousands of light years distant - my sense of wonder is still as strong as ever. I'm not a believer and yet my sense of wonder is still very much in evidence.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
...snip...What if evolution continues? What is at the end?
As long as there is life, evolution will continue.

There may be no end.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Quite the opposite! To me God is Infinite. So I never have to worry about discovering new things. As some so poignantly put in another tread, "religion is rigid". But that depends on what your definition of religion is. I go with number 4.
I like the infinite scenario. And it's promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality