Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:18 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Does a parent always say "yes" to a child's request? Sometimes "no" or "wait" is the best answer.
That analogy works only if the parent ALWAYS plans to do whatever s/he sees fit, regardless of the child's request. And if day after day, year after year, a child brings requests to the parent, knowing that the request has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on the outcome.....well, eventually the child will figure out it is pointless to ask.

I struggled for decades trying to figure out what was wrong with me, why did the concept of prayer not make sense to me, why was "no" the answer to so many of my prayers? For decades, I thought that if I just kept reading the Bible more, and praying more, and going to church more, I would be less confused about prayer. But I kept wondering why I needed to pray if God was already omniscient and all-powerful. I kept praying because my pastor always said, "The prayer of a righteous man availeth much" and that is wasn't our job to understand, but just to obey and keep praying.

The only thing that finally made sense to me is that prayer has no effect on outcomes whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
In other words, it's a crap shoot either way.

My fundie ex was very upset at me when I was in the hospital and she brought her pastor in to pray for me. I asked him not to, as it would have been hypocritical of me to accept that. I put my faith in modern medicine, my nurses and my doctors. That was 10 years ago.
Bah Humbug on humanism !!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That analogy works only if the parent ALWAYS plans to do whatever s/he sees fit, regardless of the child's request. And if day after day, year after year, a child brings requests to the parent, knowing that the request has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on the outcome.....well, eventually the child will figure out it is pointless to ask.

I struggled for decades trying to figure out what was wrong with me, why did the concept of prayer not make sense to me, why was "no" the answer to so many of my prayers? For decades, I thought that if I just kept reading the Bible more, and praying more, and going to church more, I would be less confused about prayer. But I kept wondering why I needed to pray if God was already omniscient and all-powerful. I kept praying because my pastor always said, "The prayer of a righteous man availeth much" and that is wasn't our job to understand, but just to obey and keep praying.

The only thing that finally made sense to me is that prayer has no effect on outcomes whatsoever.
My experience has been quite different.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:45 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
I always get amused by religious folks asking for prayers when someone is ill with a serious disease.

Why?

Why do you think that who ever you think is holy will intervene, when that same entity caused the disease in the first place?
You are a sick in the head individual if you are amused by people with a serious disease, HOWEVER MAN IS RESPONSIBLE(ADAM & EVE) for their disobedience that set us on this course for a sinful nature world, so man not God's fault.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:04 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
My experience has been quite different.
You are saying that your prayers have often directly, definitively affected the outcome of a situation? I would like to hear more, if you are willing.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:07 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Does a parent always say "yes" to a child's request? Sometimes "no" or "wait" is the best answer.
I love the "yes", "no", "wait" thing.

You realize those are the only three possible outcomes.

If you prayed to the dirty socks in your laundry hamper the answer would be "yes", "no". or "wait."

And how does one know the difference between "no" and "wait"? How long do you "wait" before it officially is a "no".

Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I love the "yes", "no", "wait" thing.

You realize those are the only three possible outcomes.

If you prayed to the dirty socks in your laundry hamper the answer would be "yes", "no". or "wait."

And how does one know the difference between "no" and "wait"? How long do you "wait" before it officially is a "no".
Of course I know that, but isn't that what parents tell their kids? God is not a magic genie. He wants what's best for us.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You are saying that your prayers have often directly, definitively affected the outcome of a situation? I would like to hear more, if you are willing.
No, I'm saying most of my prayers are answered in the affirmative.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I always get amused by religious folks asking for prayers when someone is ill with a serious disease.
Really? Your non-belief leads you to be amused by a situation that involves serious illness? Come on, cupper, be better than that.

Thankfully, the non-believers I know are kind (and polite) enough to react by saying something like, "I'll keep a good thought for him."

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-11-2014 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:

Why?

Why do you think that who ever you think is holy will intervene, when that same entity caused the disease in the first place?
Because your not religious; so of curse do not understand. Why does in bother you as your not involved? In secular words :butt out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality