Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:26 PM

20,091 posts, read 13,550,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I've always wondered about the whole "God is perfect" thing. I don't see why God would have to be perfect, or why anything would have to be perfect in order to create other things. Why would that be?
It is an attempt to make as much contrast between god and man as possible, with respect to guilt or lack thereof, thus establishing to the fullest possible extent, god's moral authority over man. God is as flawless and perfect as man is flawed and imperfect. Hence one needs god's perfection "imputed" to them (credited to their account) in order to be allowed in god's eternal presence.

In other words it is just for the purpose of making people feel like utter crap just because they are human (as, ironically, god supposedly created them).
Quote:
Same with God being all-knowing. Again...you have to know everything in advance in order to create something? Tell that to the researchers who developed Thalydomide or the hydrogen bomb.
Omniscience is also necessary to put people at a psychological disadvantage that can only be solved by getting on god's good side, because "god sees all" and therefore knows about every secret thing you ever did that you were (or "should" be) ashamed of.

For completeness, there is the other leg of the tri-omni theodicy, which is that god is omnipotent (all-powerful). This is necessary in order for him to (1) create everything that exists (except, of course, himself) and (2) to have the absolute power to dangle you over the fires of hell.
Quote:
My little son was quizzing me on about a thousand things the other day (I'm sure he'll come up with a thousand more) and he suddenly said, "Mom, how come you know everything?" Props to me for not laughing! Someone or something that seems "far above us" in some way, and appears uber-capable and able to handle everything, appears to us to be incapable of screwing up - but as my little illustration shows, that definitely doesn't have to be true.
Exactly, and when they are teens they figure that out, too ;-)

Enjoy it while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 02:42 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,956,692 times
Make no mistake about it, God makes no mistakes.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
But then again, maybe it's good for people to have a role model (in their head). So maybe it should be left that way? If there wasn't one, people would just do whatever they wanted and that wouldn't be good... Because letting people do whatever they want is like parents leaving their teenagers in charge of the house and going on vacation for 2 weeks.
Nothing to do with title; just ramblings.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:48 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
They CREATE a good role model out of the "mess" by focusing on the good things. So this created one is a good one.
They think they need to be perfect like God because they are thinking of perfection such as loving your enemies and forgiving and not doing any bad things. Regardless of reality (God's reality or their own), that's what they aspire to. And that's a good thing.
Quote:
I've always wondered about the whole "God is perfect" thing. I don't see why God would have to be perfect, or why anything would have to be perfect in order to create other things. Why would that be?
Same with God being all-knowing. Again...you have to know everything in advance in order to create something? Tell that to the researchers who developed Thalydomide or the hydrogen bomb.
it isn't necessary except for the demands of human vanity and hubris.
Quote:
My little son was quizzing me on about a thousand things the other day (I'm sure he'll come up with a thousand more) and he suddenly said, "Mom, how come you know everything?" Props to me for not laughing! Someone or something that seems "far above us" in some way, and appears uber-capable and able to handle everything, appears to us to be incapable of screwing up - but as my little illustration shows, that definitely doesn't have to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Ok, JerZ, you ARE omniscient, but can you beat up Tommy's mother down the street?
Some of the things attributed to God seem to me more like boasting on the part of the believers very much like "MY god can beat up YOUR god."
Quote:
????????????? I don't understand what this meant/referred to. (The bolded.)
Yes, the second part could be true (as far as human nature goes), and in fact, throughout history, many did convert due to "proof" that another god was more powerful; I think that was probably pretty much standard in various cultures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Sorry, JerZ, I was presenting how you might appear to the childish mind with your answers being "right all the time" and extending it to other attributes of God from that viewpoint.
Nate frequently expands the implications when he agrees with you, JerZ . . . without using smileys.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Nate frequently expands the implications when he agrees with you, JerZ . . . without using smileys.
Ah, now THERE'S the problem...

I am helpless without my smileys.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:15 PM

527 posts, read 710,050 times
Jesus was 100% perfect

Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,332,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Make no mistake about it, God makes no mistakes.
If that were true, then there would have been no need for the Great Flood.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Jesus was 100% perfect
Other than losing his temper at the Temple or his being afraid of being crucified and asking that God go back on his plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality