Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You say Jesus was praying for something that was never going to happen. Why would he pray for it? Why would he think division a good thing if unification is what he prayed for?

Incidentally, the process of church planting is desirable. It's good for a healthy church to send out part of its number to go start a new church and to establish a new one. So you are correct in the fact that it's good to divide--but it should not be over petty squabbles and disputes.
Jesus was praying over something that IS going to come true. It's just going to take MUCH longer than people expect. Incidentally, the second coming isn't happening during our lifetime... (of course this is just my feeling about it). But, considering that Paul thought he was living during the last days and turns out that he wasn't... it's not a stretch.

Over petty squabbles? Usually it's over something that people (who leave) consider important. Like a difference in the way things should be, in the way people should serve God... that's important.

Of course some just leave because they are offended and they can't forgive. But that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 PM

20,037 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Over petty squabbles? Usually it's over something that people (who leave) consider important. Like a difference in the way things should be, in the way people should serve God... that's important.

Of course some just leave because they are offended and they can't forgive. But that's another story.
A church in the town I grew up in split once over a debate about the color of new carpeting in the sanctuary.

My own church hired a new pastor who turned out to be a shyster who led a faction that took over the church, ousted the congregants who would not align with him, and then systematically fleeced his own people. He left town suddenly, a bit wealthier for his troubles, and we got our church back, along with, eventually, most of the people who had sided with him.

I think these are probably more typical reasons for church splits; although I have certainly heard of splits over more esoteric / heady doctrinal issues, and/or which were more agreeable, like a non-hostile divorce. I'm not saying they don't happen. But they are always painful and seldom worth the pain.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,680 times
Quote:
So why did Jesus pray that they would be united?
He didn't. He prayed that they all would become One Body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Corinthians
12Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.13For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body--whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free--and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.14Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.15Now if the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason stop being part of the body.16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason stop being part of the body.17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?18But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.19If they were all one part, where would the body be?20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!"22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty,24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it,25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
The body of Christ is United. But it is also Diverse. Each soul becomes unique when it becomes its true self. The church will one day be one. But this will happen not with conformity, but when all members find their purpose.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:54 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
You say Jesus was praying for something that was never going to happen. Why would he pray for it? Why would he think division a good thing if unification is what he prayed for?
Well, for that matter, if Jesus was (is) God, then why would he need to pray for anything?

"Self, would you please do X? Okay, self. If you're good."

Old 11-30-2014, 01:08 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,849,231 times
Sometimes a church dividing is good and sometimes not. I think it matters how its divided. Is it divided in war and literal branching off to start new OR is it a small group connected but exploring other things?

We go to a big church but attend a smaller home church group. The home group is part of a big church but they broke off to start a smaller group. They still believe the same as the big church they are connected to but are more than peanut butter and jelly where the church is the bread. You need both but you could eat them on their own, it just isnt the same.

Now growing up my mother dragged us all over because someone would look at someone wrong in church and theyd know someone who knew someone starting a new church. Ugh. Over and over wed do this.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A church in the town I grew up in split once over a debate about the color of new carpeting in the sanctuary.

A good laugh to get my Sunday off to a good start.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, for that matter, if Jesus was (is) God, then why would he need to pray for anything?

"Self, would you please do X? Okay, self. If you're good."
Or: "'Nope...but you knew I was going to say No anyway."
"Yep, but I thought I'd ask, all the same."

Old 11-30-2014, 12:11 PM

20,037 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Or: "'Nope...but you knew I was going to say No anyway."
"Yep, but I thought I'd ask, all the same."
Reminds me of Robin Williams impersonating a schizophrenic:

(looking left) "Shut up!"

(looking right) "No, wait a minute, let him talk!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality