Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:28 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I see.

So next you're going to tell me that you're a Universalist and everyone goes to Heaven!

Right?

Because if my understanding of Christianity is SOOO far off in left field, why do people like you and perry and richard, as well as others, leave tasty little tidbits like this lying around the forum:

I'm sure what Richard meant by this is that we atheists are going to be shocked when we are met by a smiling, loving God who opens the Pearly Gates and allows us to pass. He'll say in a gentle voice how he "understands why we didn't believe in him but none of that matters now. Welcome to Heaven, my child," God will say, and my eternal stay in blissful paradise will begin.

I'm certain that Richard didn't mean we were going to be shocked to find that God is real as we non-believers roast in a fiery pit of eternal torment ... right, Richard?

Or this:

And:

I'm sure Vizio and Allen only meant that we're not as good as Jesus - but we're still good. I'm sure they didn't mean to say that we were all irredeemable sinners, evil and rotten to the core, and only God's grace keeps us from going straight to the fiery pits of Hell where we all deserve to be. No, no, I'm sure they didn't mean that.

Perry, no doubt, meant that we would miss our exit on the interstate and then have to ask a gas station attendant for directions, right Perry ol' chum? That's what you meant by non-believers being "lost." I'm confident that it had nothing to do with people going to Hell and being tortured for eternity.

Whoa, Perry! *gasp* You mentioned suffering in hell! Does that mean you believe that people who aren't saved by Jesus end up suffering there? Oh, but my reasoning isn't to be taken seriously. No, especially when you have to start back-peddling and I call you to the carpet for doing it. Yep.

So essentially we're a bunch of scumbags - just like I said. Doesn't matter how good you are or how much good you do for the world. It's that groveling before god/Jesus that matters the most. And if you don't, well, your ass will look like a Belgian waffle after sizzling on Satan's grill for a few hundred billion years.

Hmm .. Satan's grill. What an awesome name for a wings 'n ribs restaurant! I bet I'd get all kinds of clientele from the name alone.

Like I said, chip away at a person's own dignity, self-respect, and self-esteem and you can have a person believing in just about anything. Okay, we're not scumbags, per se, we're just akin to filthy rags. Which is, what, a couple of nano-degrees above scumbag?

Ah, now here we go. If you go to Hell, then you must be a bad person. Atheists will go to Hell. Therefore, atheists are bad people. There's your religion in a nutshell - the Readers' Digest condensed version of the Bible.

What a strange notion of "just" and "fair" - which your God reputedly is. No matter what kind of nasty person you were in life, all you have to do is repent at some future date, and you'll be a Good person. The only trick is that you have to do it before you die - and mean it, of course. Wow! And here I thought you actually had to be good in order to be Good. I guess not.

Which means our lives here mean diddly squat. Nothing we DO actually matters. I can go around my whole life popping kids' balloons, skimming from orphanages, stepping on puppy tails, flipping off nuns, beating up Girl Scouts and stealing their cookies, pulling wings off flies, and making fun of disabled people and still be considered a Good person just as long as I join the cult and drink the kool-aid before I die.

Not much incentive there to be good in this life, is there - considering here in the Western world we have a pretty good chance of making it at least half a century. Only when you find yourself on a first name basis with the Grim Reaper do you really have to think about repenting. Then, no matter how nasty you were in life, you'll get to strum your harp right next to all the saints and martyrs.

It's those non-believers and non-Christians that will do all of the roasting and sizzling and popping. They're the Bad people, the ones who will end up in Hell, even though they were nothing but kind, loving, compassionate, altruistic, and generous right up to their last breaths.

What kind of screwed up system is that?

No ... you can scurry behind the "you just don't understand Christianity" defense when you're all out of ammo, but I think I have a pretty good grasp of how your beliefs work.
I notice you didn't quote me on any of those. What you described earlier is NOT Christianity. My Christian beliefs make me happy and fulfilled. I have a relationship with my creator. I have help in time of need. I have a bright future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 06:44 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Actually Shirina hit the nail on the head....it's a perfect description of your maniacal religion. I'm so excited to see more and more people leaving christianity and using their brains for a change to realize they have been duped. You can still believe in a higher power if desired, no christianity is needed for that. It IS a cult and it needs to go away like a bad plague.
People can leave all they want but God will be there on judgement day for them

Old 12-06-2014, 06:52 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I notice you didn't quote me on any of those. What you described earlier is NOT Christianity. My Christian beliefs make me happy and fulfilled. I have a relationship with my creator. I have help in time of need. I have a bright future.
Is it the Christian belief that all are born sinners rather than pure ?
Do Christians not describe some sinners as as 'abominations' ?
Is there anyone you would say is not a sinner?
Shirina has it right.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:01 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
There you go again with the not-so-subtle threats of an imaginary hell. What part of 'we don't believe in gods' are you not getting? You think you are helping your cause by making stupid threats? We don't shake in our boots from fear of any 'god' or the like so your threats are pointless. Actually, statements like this are what is driving people away from psycho christianity in the first place so keep up the good work.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
I guess the question is would you oppose God and continue at the price of endless torture and suffering to be kind to others? or would you oppose "goodness" and hurt innocent people shamelessly and stand with God and in turn receive everlasting heaven as a reward?

Could I be just a little bit mean and selfish and still make it into heaven?

Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
There you go again with the not-so-subtle threats of an imaginary hell. What part of 'we don't believe in gods' are you not getting? You think you are helping your cause by making stupid threats? We don't shake in our boots from fear of any 'god' or the like so your threats are pointless. Actually, statements like this are what is driving people away from psycho christianity in the first place so keep up the good work.
So why are you all up in my face, this is not a threat by the way it is fact, if you don't believe than you should be calm and let people say what they want and not have to resort to childish name calling, grow up. Psycho Christianity may be on its way out but God will still be around.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I haven't seen you say anything to counter anything that the other Christians on this board have said and I don't see them countering you ... and silence implies consent.

Out of curiosity, do you believe that non-Christians will burn forever in a lake of fire?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point.

Quote:
So why are you all up in my face, this is not a threat by the way it is fact, if you don't believe than you should be calm and let people say what they want and not have to resort to childish name calling, grow up. Psycho Christianity may be on its way out but God will still be around.
No, it is not a "fact." It is a belief. You believe God will be there for Judgment Day - something most atheists find utterly absurd.

This is why religion is considered a "faith." You believe in something without any evidence, and you cannot claim that something is a fact unless you can drag the evidence into the light and show us. Is there such evidence? Of course not - so you don't REALLY have any idea what God will or will not do.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:18 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
God wants all to be in Heaven
Really???...Prove this statement, Please...

Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I think that's the point.
I'm glad we agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality