Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,446,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It was worth the journey. You're at a good place.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hope you are not really mad, Pleroo. You have an outstanding clarity of mind. It was the indoctrination that prevented its use concerning God belief.
Of course I'm not mad . Forgot the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:37 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hope you are not really mad, Pleroo. You have an outstanding clarity of mind. It was the indoctrination that prevented its use concerning God belief.
Societal forces and traditions are very powerful, Arq. I only rejected it openly at age 13 . . . the beginning of my teenage rebellion years.
I don't want to hi -jack this int a 'How I...' thread, but being raised in a 'census - Christian' household, I was exposed to a fair bit of religion 'The Bible in pictures'. Cardboard Nativity scenes at Christmas, the odd Church attendance at festival times. And the usual enforced school religion -study, especially the pre -10 church school.

None of that had the slightest effect of selling me religion. It seemed no more than a fairy tale.

I didn't do teenage rebellion. In fact it was only in my teenage years, thanks to BCM Ambassador on radio Luxembourg, the only Pop music station in those days (it seems incredible now, but there was NO rock or pop on the radio), with the ranting about 'The good news about the world tomorrow'. Which seemed to involve global plagues and bulldozers filling pits with corpses. (I wonder what the BAD news was) that I seriously considered the religious claims.

I sent for their stuff. I remember the prophecy of Tyre. 'The unbelievers can disprove us by rebuilding Tyre!' In fact I now know it was rebuilt (1). But I couldn't argue with the claim at the time, but it didn't seem a good enough reason to believe what they were saying.

Well, I awaited the date of disaster and it didn't happen. That was the second Doomsday prediction (one when I was 12) and they have popped up regularly and never do happen. Thereafter the frauds stopped peddling their pamphlets and put their efforts into 'Plain Truth' magazine.

There was just nothing in either church or fundy polemic that looked to be other than delusion. I may say I had looked into the occult and palmistry -Tarot and the like and religion seemed to have the same basis - nothing apart from self -delusion - if not profitable deluding of others.

(1) but, Eusebius knows, that doesn't disprove the prophecy - what they built on Tyre was a different city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality