Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:17 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,680,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerism View Post
I'm not reading from a script at all, so it's interesting that you thought that.
So you are just shooting from the hip and rolling with it...?
Or do you have some sort of outline and wing it to fill in the gaps?
You actually might want to have a script, and it might make the speech a whole lot better.
Write it as you would a essay, intro that touches on each aspect you will discuss about the topic, 90-120 seconds per 'chapter' and have a break between, fade to black and throw up a title for the next small speech, and so on, ending with a catchy closing statement. Not a sign out statement that you would use everyone, something totally related to the subject matter for that episode.
And do something about the sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 5,343 times
ashleynj, I widened the shot massively for this latest one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeev3jr2GQk Do you think that looks better?

Mystic PhD, thanks! That may be very helpful. I'll take a look through it.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:05 PM

Oops! OwlKaMyst, I didn't actually see your post.

It's the second, I have a fairly detailed general outline. When I try writing a script, it ends up looking nice on paper, and then sounding, well... scripted, in a bad way. The thing is, I am generally pretty decent at winging it, as you put it, I'm just a little camera shy/ self-conscious discussing these topics. I think I will get better with time and practice.

Your structure idea though is still really interesting though, and I will think about it,

What's up with the sound?

Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,074,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
One would reasonably think so, but technically a copyright owner can sue you regardless of whether you're making money. Whether it makes financial or any other kind of sense for them to do so, or whether you are causing any tangible financial harm to them is another matter, but technically, if you do not give attribution and exceed "fair use" doctrines, you are in violation of the copyright law.

For example, if I find on old LP record album that has been "out of print" for 50 years and publish its contents online, the copyright holder or their heirs are within their rights to sue me, even if they have not made a dime off the album in two generations and have not considered the material to be of enough value to bother to exploit it. Their point would be that (1) I don't own it and (2) don't have the rights of ownership such as distributing it for any amount of money including $0.00 and (3) by posting it I am diluting whatever value it has as a sellable product, which denies them that value should they choose to market or distribute it themselves. They have a right to sell it, or not. I don't.

I don't find this persuasive and don't like the devolution of copyright protections from the days when a copyright was good for 28 years and renewable once and once only, end of story. But it's the law.

The original concept of copyright law was to protect the earning power of the original artist for a reasonable period of time, not to give his distant heirs and assigns a free gravy train forever. But special interests have prevailed in this instance.
But they would still need to persuade all pursuant Judges that your copyright law violation caused them a substantial loss. No?

There is free-use art available.

You might need a little bit more scripting to have less distractful abrupt cuts and frame-changes. Also, most people will only be curious about any video for 1 minute until it gets boring, I think. Then again you have a great talking voice and rhythm, so scripting might not be the important thing as timely editing. But visuals detailing what you are talking about would definitely make the monologue easier to follow, like a few other education youtube channels have done. But different people have different fortes, so maybe trying to make something applicable to everyone would make it applicable to no one.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-08-2015 at 03:38 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,408,675 times
I enjoyed your videos enough to watch the fourth one, and to subscribe. The visual quality of your videos has improved based on the tips people have given you that you've incorporated. The saxophone picture hanging on your wall was a nice visual reprieve.

You have a pleasant speaking voice, and it's easy to listen to. Your content is very serious and intense and I'm okay with that. But, just like a visual reprieve makes a video more comfortable to watch, sometimes when you're talking about heavy things, an occasional lighter moment can make it more comfortable to listen. I realize you can't force humor if that's not natural to you, but some sort of lightness to your communication (verbal and/or facial) might make it a little easier on your listeners/viewers. That's just my opinion, obviously.

All the best. I look forward to your upcoming videos.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 PM

Luminous Truth, I think the "substantial loss" thing is true for a court case, but Youtube is a bit less rigorous about such things than the actual court system. It's kind of unfortunate, but at the same time, it's not really their fault in some ways, since they're affected by liability laws that are kind of outdated.

I think your notion of the first minute being crucial is definitely true, and I will work to make mine a bit more attention catching. Thanks for your compliments to my voice and rhythm! I think I'm going to go down the "better editing" route for now, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try scripting. Visual details are still something I'm thinking about how best to incorporate, but I think they'll probably get in there eventually. And so true what you said about different people and applicability. Thanks for the encouragement!

Pleroo, thanks for watching/subscribing! I'm so glad to hear you think I'm improving. Haha, I'm glad you liked the saxophone; I figured it might be amusing. I entirely agree with you about lightening things up from time to time. I tend to be someone who likes humor and whimsical things, so that's definitely within my scope as a person. I think that showing some of that would probably improve the ease of engagement for people with my videos a lot. I'm going to start working on that in the next video and onwards; it might take a while just because I'm new to the camera and still getting comfortable with doing this stuff, but I think I should get better over time. Thanks again for your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality