Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times

Advertisements

Krishna belief existed before Jesus came. And yet it has many similar ideas. I wonder what it means.

Baghavat Gita, the episode portion of the Mahabaret bible is focusing on Krishna. Gita was written around 200 to 500 BCE. So before Jesus’ arrival. There are some similarities between this belief and belief about Jesus.

Jesus’ birthday is celebrated. Krishna’s birthday is celebrated too and the day is called Janmashtami. His birthday is 19 July 3228 BCE.

Krishnaism and Christianity both have a Trinity (God consisting of 3 persons). Type in “Brahma-Vishnu-Maheshwara” in Google search engine, then click on images tab and you will see a depiction of a 3 headed God or a picture with 3 people in it, representing God. Then type “holy trinity” and you will see the same thing, except this time the images will remind you of pictures of Trinity you see in Catholic churches. (Since they like to hang a lot of pictures on their walls).

It’s interesting that Krishna crashed the head of the serpent with his feet.
Lord Krishna came to know that a very large and poisonous serpent had made its home in a lagoon on the Yamuna river. …In that time, there were many frightful demons, who had all kinds of mystic powers. Lord Krishna had specifically appeared to rid the world of all these disturbing elements. …This huge black serpent Kaliya (Kaliya means black) possessed over one hundred hoods….Krishna then jumped on to the hoods of the great serpent and started to dance, stamping His foot down on the heads of the snake demon, Kaliya.

And it’s written about Jesus in Genesis that he will do it.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

Rom 16:20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.

And here in Isaiah God is killing the snake like monster too.

Isa 27:1 In that day, the LORD will punish with his sword, his fierce, great and powerful sword, Leviathan the gliding serpent, Leviathan the coiling serpent; he will slay the monster of the sea.

Krishna has a Lover, a Goddess Radhu, who is a part of Krishna, they are one. But it’s believed that Krishna is extending himself into Radhu (creating Radhu from himself so to speak). He needs Radhu to be a separate part from him in order for him to experience the interaction of love/lovers. All the lovers and wives that Krishna has (and he has 100s or 1000s) are all extensions of Radhu. Radhu loves Krishna with the best love possible and is the best worshipper of Radhu and the most devoted one. She likes to fulfill Krishna’s desires. She is very beautiful and has great attributes, like Krishna.

One could compare Radhu to the Church. The Church is Jesus’ lover. And is a part of Jesus. They are one body. Some nuns are married to Christ through their belief, but they are extensions of the Church. Jesus loves the Church especially. The Church is great worshipper of Christ and has attributes and qualities of Christ. She is very beautiful in her pure white garment of righteousness. The Church is happy to fulfill Christ’s desires. They have a deep union of love between them. This is described in the New Testament, but also in the Song of Solomon. God has created the Church for himself and she came from him. God breathed his spirit into clay. So one could compare this to Krishna creating Radhu (or rather extending himself into Radhu.

Some believe that you should come to Krishna through Radhu and plead your case with her and then she will forward the message. And also Radhu could lead you to Krishna. That is comparable to belief that you should reach Christ through Church and it’s the Church that will bring you to Christ and that you should ask the Church to pray for your needs.

Another similarity is that Krishna (born supernaturally by a thought) is considered a manifestation of God Vishnu. It’s like Jesus (who was born supernaturally) was in a human form and was “the Word that became flesh”. Jesus is the human form of the Divine Son of God.

In Bhagavad Gita, Krishna is telling his follower to always think of Krishna and have faith in him and to worship him with loving service. Krishna explains that He is the Supreme Truth. (Similar to what Jesus said.)

Also it says something to this extent: If one worships Krishna, Krishna cares, compensates for his deficiencies, and preserves his strengths. Even if a devotee unintentionally commits a horrendous act, he will be rectified, for Krishna promises that His devotee will never perish. (It’s similar to a message that Jesus forgives the sins and gives the sinner eternal life).

Krishna reveals to Arjuna His wondrous effulgent, all-expansive form. (It’s similar to Jesus’ transfiguration, a showing of his “different kind” of a body.)

Also it says: “Thus by practicing yoga and remembering Krishna, one will go to the eternal spiritual world and never again to return to this temporary, miserable material world. (This is similar to us going to heaven by “doing the will of the Father and believing in Jesus”.)

Jesus said to Pharisees: “your father is the devil”, therefore making them the children of the devil, the demons. Also Paul called such people brutes, and vessels prepared for destruction, and like dogs. Krishna is saying that the nature of demons (or children of the devil, in Jesus’ words) is as follows:

Krishna explains the demonic mentality as follows: Taking shelter of lust, they think of sense gratification as the goal of life and scheme to illegally increase their wealth. While plotting to kill their 'competitor' enemies, they think themselves powerful and happy, and they, surrounded by their relatives, use sacrifices and charity only to further increase their happiness. …These mischievous, lowest amongst men are repeatedly cast by Krishna into demonic species to gradually sink to the most abominable forms of existence. Krishna ends the chapter by explaining that because lust, anger and greed are the beginnings of demonic life, all sane men should therefore give them up and understand their duty through faithfully following the scriptures.

Krishna instructs Arjuna that he should surrender to the Supreme Lord within his heart and thus attain peace in His supreme, eternal abode: "Become My devotee, always think of Me, act for Me, worship Me, and offer all homage unto Me. Surrender unto Me alone. Do not fear sinful reactions." Sounds similar to the things the Bible teaches about Jesus worship.

The book Krsna-katha is talking about Krishna having love encounters with different girls. And the Song of Solomon is also talking about the love encounter. And each Bride of Christ (each girl) could see that Song as applying to her personally, as well as applying to the collective, the Church. And many women have written about their love encounters with the spirit of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
If you want to read into it your own beliefs, you can find that in many traditions. In ancient Egyptian tradition, and in Zoroastrianism (similarities with the story of the god Mithra). The fact is that the Krishna cult is related to an ancient Hindu sex cult (symbolized by a serpent, and even two serpents twined around a central staff, like the Western symbol for Medicine), which is why Krishna had so many consorts. It has nothing to do with Christianity. There's a trinity in Hinduism because the number 3 is sacred in Indo-European cultures in general.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you want to read into it your own beliefs, you can find that in many traditions. In ancient Egyptian tradition, and in Zoroastrianism (similarities with the story of the god Mithra). The fact is that the Krishna cult is related to an ancient Hindu sex cult (symbolized by a serpent, and even two serpents twined around a central staff, like the Western symbol for Medicine), which is why Krishna had so many consorts. It has nothing to do with Christianity. There's a trinity in Hinduism because the number 3 is sacred in Indo-European cultures in general.
That is an excellent response to a well -written and persuasive post. It points upghow easy it is to make two things look the same by picking the bits that correspond, or can be made to look like it, and ignoring the bits that don't (1) What we call counting the hits and ignoring the misses.

Your post also points up the compounding error -mechanism of fitting the evidence to the theory. That there are three Hindu gods making One and three entities in Christianity (making one God) looks persuasive on the face of it, But there are other explanations. Three being a sacred number would explain why Three gods out of the many in Hinduism are chosen to be the Big Three. And why it is a Trinity and not just Faither and Son? Because the Holy Spirit has never really convinced as a separate entity.

(1) Confirmation bias - very similar to the fallacy of equivocatiion.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And having eyes they will not see and ears they will not hear. Maybe this is just a coincidence to.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is an excellent response to a well -written and persuasive post. It points upghow easy it is to make two things look the same by picking the bits that correspond, or can be made to look like it, and ignoring the bits that don't (1) What we call counting the hits and ignoring the misses.

Your post also points up the compounding error -mechanism of fitting the evidence to the theory. That there are three Hindu gods making One and three entities in Christianity (making one God) looks persuasive on the face of it, But there are other explanations. Three being a sacred number would explain why Three gods out of the many in Hinduism are chosen to be the Big Three. And why it is a Trinity and not just Faither and Son? Because the Holy Spirit has never really convinced as a separate entity.

(1) Confirmation bias - very similar to the fallacy of equivocatiion.
Ignoring the Hits and counting the misses you have it backwards Brother. And there was an entity that did this to accuse us all. Scripture calls him the serpent.
For example
evil
live
devil
lived.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
I was aware of some of that Loves, but not all of it. I do always find the similarities among religions interesting and thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Christians use "hit and misses" mechanism to create their theories (like salvation theory or second coming theory) based on the Bible. And that's the only way to create a theory based on contradictory scriptures.

So I guess we all do it.

However, I wasn't trying to say that the two beliefs are the same. I was just saying that the ideas which exist in Christianity have existed before Christianity. So it's very possible that some Christian ideas were borrowed from pre-existing beliefs.

Gospels are basically stories which people remembered or the things they believed in. So it's very possible that these stories and the things they believed in were based on some of the preexisting stories and beliefs. It's possible because there are so many similarities. And people usually don't borrow the whole entire idea as a package, usually they only borrow certain elements. And that's why only certain elements are similar.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Ignoring the Hits and counting the misses you have it backwards Brother. And there was an entity that did this to accuse us all. Scripture calls him the serpent.
For example
evil
live
devil
lived.
Evidence of religion from anagram is a new one on me. I noticed the other day, the central part of Belief is 'lie' It's an anagram part of Religion, and Bible, too. If you pronounced the remaining letters Riong in Welsh it would be 'wrong' as well. God is 'Dog' reversed.

the Biblecode ferreting trick only works where convenient. Therefore my example stands up, 'brother' and yours is shown the back -to -front reasoning.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Evidence of religion from anagram is a new one on me. I noticed the other day, the central part of Belief is 'lie' It's an anagram part of Religion, and Bible, too. If you pronounced the remaining letters Riong in Welsh it would be 'wrong' as well. God is 'Dog' reversed.

the Biblecode ferreting trick only works where convenient. Therefore my example stands up, 'brother' and yours is shown the back -to -front reasoning.
Thankyou, it is a clue to teach us how to see through the tares or weeds. But I can only assume you already knew this too. The mind is a tricky little guy.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,219 times
Quote:

Santa
Satan

Beard, red face, red clothing, smokes, takes attention away from Jesus. Pretty obvious, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality