Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You didn't ask me but I think that some ex-Christians hate the idea of God as it is presented by some Christians, because it is divisive and destructive. I do. If people in the here and now were still pushing some of the other ancient gods, I might hate that too.
I think what's closer to the mark is many non-believers hate what happens to people who swallow fundamentalist tripe. Belief in, and adoration of, a genocidal god turns normal, ethical people into robotic apologists for bigotry and hatred.

Those people I find hateful. And yeah, if their god was real, I'd hate it too.

Thankfully, it's as real as Foghorn Leghorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,296,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

If he was stoned, would we genuflect at a pile of rocks, and call them sacred?

Q: Why was Jesus crucified instead of being stoned to death?

A: Because it's easier to get a churchful of people to do this (makes familiar "crossing oneself" gesture), than to get them to do THIS (makes full windup, kick, and pitch motion).

Rim shot! Crash!

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-23-2015 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,969,371 times
People can be so stupid and inconsiderate over a memorial, I don't care if it is over a decade later or not. It definitely didn't appear to be an issue in 2004.

Last edited by perry335654; 02-23-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,448,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think what's closer to the mark is many non-believers hate what happens to people who swallow fundamentalist tripe. Belief in, and adoration of, a genocidal god turns normal, ethical people into robotic apologists for bigotry and hatred.

Those people I find hateful. And yeah, if their god was real, I'd hate it too.

Thankfully, it's as real as Foghorn Leghorn.
I think we're saying the same thing.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think we're saying the same thing.
Yeah, probably.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,301,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Can you give one recent example of a fundamentalist demanding a new law that defines society or infringes on your freedoms? And don't use gay marriage because that deals with changing already established laws defining marriage.

Otherwise, your remarks come off as bigoted hyperbole.
More foot-stomping demands. "And don't use...!"

Fundamentalists and tantrum-throwing 3-year-old's have a lot in common.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:59 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,637,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
How many crosses and memorials do you have on your lawn, or in your public space? Do you only want your religion in the public square? Why is that?

None right now, they'd be covered in the snow. And please don't say that with atheists/progressives it is about allowing other religions equal time in the public square. With atheists/progressives it is about playing religions against each other if anything.

Of course because you NEVER have crosses on your lawn. If you did they would still be there snow, or no snow.
Is your faith fair weather? You only express it when it is not snowing?

I have a lawn full of flamingos. They are there, rain or shine, 365 days a year. In fact, they are just as beautiful surrounded by snow.

You do not display your faith on your own lawn, but you insist on covering our shared space with it.

I do not insist our shared space have flamingos. Why are you insisting it have crosses? I have no desire to pit you for or against the flamingo. I would respect the fact you do not wish them in our shared public space.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,328,098 times
Quote:
Separation of church and state to the extent people of your side have distorted it does not exist in the Constitution. The school is not creating a law that establishes the Christian religion. If you find the mere sight of a cross or angel to be offensive, that's YOUR problem.
And yet the Founders wrote just that on the subject. So chances are that was their intent behind the law .

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-23-2015 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: fixed tag

Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,328,098 times
Quote:
Can you give one recent example of a fundamentalist demanding a new law that defines society or infringes on your freedoms? And don't use gay marriage because that deals with changing already established laws defining marriage.

Otherwise, your remarks come off as bigoted hyperbole.
Abortion restrictions.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM

18,534 posts, read 9,229,594 times
Quote:
The purpose of the Supreme Court should be to protect all rights. Which means not taking away the rights and freedom of the majority to satisfy the lone atheist who hates God.
Can we get another cookie here for jeffbase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality