Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What color?
Obviously blue/black 2 22.22%
Obviously white/gold 6 66.67%
Sorta muddled 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:51 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_y7lSb7emE

When things are at the borderline, the overlap makes people crazy. The actual color of the dress is deep blue. I saw it here, as other people saw it, and it was still very divided what people saw. I'm apparently i the minority, I see it as blue and black (well, dull blue and grey). The rest saw white and gold. This was explained as an optical illusion made by perceiving the background as overexposed or underexposed.

So, why am I putting this here, and not in fashion? Because it has more to do with reality itself. Think about it. If we cannot decide the color of a dress, how can we decide what the status of the presence/absence of God is? The fact that theists and atheists both disagree seems to suggest there is a "Schrodinger" deity who either exists or doesn't and is such that if God does exist doesn't care about believers, and if doesn't exist someone out there wants us to believe.

So, let's start with the dress. White/gold? Blue/black?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:54 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
What???

Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 PM

Subjective reality.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:05 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
The dress is blue and black. The one that appears white and gold is just a trick in photoshop; adjusting brightness can distort the colors, but if the image were restored to it's original format, the dress would be blue and black.

But that's not a complex issue. It's a stupid one. The dress remains blue and black no matter what one does to the photo. The existence of God is not like that at all.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Actually, no. To me the dress also looks blue or black, but I saw the video, and how people can interpret it as over and under-exposed. For instance, even the light dress I saw as pale blue/muddy black. There are people out there who will, without a second thought will be "what are you kidding? This is clearly white and gold!" I mean, I think she's a ****ing idiot, but there is no denying that this is exactly what her eyes see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c44oC_GG3EQ

The issue is about our perception of reality, given facts which may or not be true. The existence of God in fact is like that, whether God exists or not, it remains true (to us), and we have evidence to support our beliefs. And so do our opponents, just as strong.

If it had been perfectly ambiguous? If nobody had told you that the dress is actually blue, and it was left sorta muddled? How would this be different from the reality of God where we cannot discern on way or another, since there is no original owner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G923wvGvk7I

Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Did you read my thread/s?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...hey-right.html

Old 03-02-2015, 02:17 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The dress is blue and black. The one that appears white and gold is just a trick in photoshop; adjusting brightness can distort the colors, but if the image were restored to it's original format, the dress would be blue and black.

Apparently not. Some of my family members saw the same picture I saw (no adjustments, looking at it at the same time and from the same angle) and said it was blue/black. I and others saw it as white/gold.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Apparently not. Some of my family members saw the same picture I saw (no adjustments, looking at it at the same time and from the same angle) and said it was blue/black. I and others saw it as white/gold.

Seeing it on TV it looked like it was white and gold but with incorrect white balance in the camera.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Cruithne, I did not notice it. The proportion of people seeing white and gold is about right. Pretty close to 70% of the population see it as this.

But yea, I'm a theist (mostly), and came to the same conclusion just now.

I interpret the world symbolically. For example, I listened to a commercial on the radio one night, about "how do we let our old dogs know we care about the?" (born under Chinese zodiac of dog) I started crying. I am completely unable to explain this to anyone without them raising eyebrows.

Alot of other people see events as events, and interpret the same event completely differently. Even people who are also heavy into symbolism might latch on to different symbols than me, which would be meaningless since I don't have the same framework.

Btw, people who saw the white/gold, what color was the background? I can't see it as white/gold because the background appears white to me.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:48 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Btw, people who saw the white/gold, what color was the background? I can't see it as white/gold because the background appears white to me.
I see the dress as white/gold and the background seems mostly bright white to me (with a small patch of red, a patch of pale yellow, a strip of brown, and a few grey-green blurs). The shawl or whatever over the shoulder appears white. I am pretty amazed that anyone could see the dress as blue/black. I can't seem to train my eyes to see how others could possibly see it that way.

And just a crazy little thought: I wonder if there could be cognitive or conceptual versions of this perceptual effect - some sort of neural "fixation on a certain interpretation" that causes liberals/conservatives or theists/atheists to perceive certain concepts in such radically different and seemingly unquestionable ways from those at the other ends of their respective political or spiritual spectrums.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 03-02-2015 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality