Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on God?
I reject him 4 5.13%
I do not believe he exists 52 66.67%
I believe in him and believe he is the one and only true God 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 01:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,352,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
There's no good option for me in the poll.

I would pick "I humbly admit that I have no idea if a god exists."

I don't "reject" god. I don't declare that there is no god. I feel that my belief is the most honest one possible, because truly, no one KNOWS, as in, proof positive.
In my opinion the one that says you do not believe he exists covers you. The choice is not that God does not exist but that you do not believe he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 PM

3,816 posts, read 3,025,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is not possible to afford belief to something speculatively, just in case. You either have reason to believe it, or you do not. Of course you can FAKE belief, which is basically the premise behind Pascal's Wager, which is what you are parroting here. But it is not even a valid wager, because it incorrectly posits that only one god on offer in a world with countless gods, is the CORRECT one. Every deity's adherents claim their deity is real. What if Odin or Vishnu or Chthulu is the "real" god and you wager on Jehovah?

Even if you wager correctly on Jehovah, will he not know that you're a pretender?
That is a problem with some religions, and some branches within Christianity - is that their version of God is the only one that exists, and that all others are deviant.
This is known as ""exclusivity"" and is one step towards being a Cult.
These groups do not accept or do interfaith very well.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,577,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveringMyArm399 View Post
It is impossible to fake the existence of Jesus. Why do you need proofs on this?
Do you have any actual physical proof or relics of this Jesus you claim is impossible to fake? Only biblical (a highly unreliable source) to proof to back up your assertion?

Didn't think so.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
GOD dismissed the carnal laws already. You could live without the laws now. So what is the problem? To love one another or live as peacefully as you could?
How do you know? Haven't you been taught that the ways of your god are mysterious and not known to man? Or are you special?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Fine. Then there was no Jesus. So what do you think of the fictional guy's teachings?
Compiled from the teachings of others.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,710,284 times
Quote:
Fine. Then there was no Jesus. So what do you think of the fictional guy's teachings?
Some good, some bad, and some really far out in left field.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 PM

50 posts, read 39,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is not possible to afford belief to something speculatively, just in case. You either have reason to believe it, or you do not. Of course you can FAKE belief, which is basically the premise behind Pascal's Wager, which is what you are parroting here. But it is not even a valid wager, because it incorrectly posits that only one god on offer in a world with countless gods, is the CORRECT one. Every deity's adherents claim their deity is real. What if Odin or Vishnu or Chthulu is the "real" god and you wager on Jehovah?

Even if you wager correctly on Jehovah, will he not know that you're a pretender?
I wasn't talking about pretending in the belief of GOD, the MOST HIGH GOD. I was saying to prepare for a GOD, in case HE does exist. Jesus put it this way: "You have no idea when a thief will come. Therefore, I say to you, 'Watch'." But of course not, putting GOD as a thief wasn't so nice, but it is to remind you though.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Do you have any actual physical proof or relics of this Jesus you claim is impossible to fake? Only biblical (a highly unreliable source) to proof to back up your assertion?

Didn't think so.
The problem was, even there were, you might dismiss them as fakes also.

Relics? Nonetheless, maybe it was a bone from the Roman zoo. The flowing blood in a cross? Nah, they were something from a toy shop. True, fake. True, fake. Faking truth.

When people asked Jesus to show a sign, then he says 'an adulterous generation is seeking a sign.....' Who knows, after the sign did display, you see a bunch of people bowing down and yelling Long live Otin! The other group, 'OMG, Queen is working miracle.' There stood Fa Lon Gungs saying by their divine powers, so they manipulated this power. So anyway, wether you tell them or not, they will not believe. For Allah had sealed their hearts and given them to disease.

Anywho, here is a hope for life, even the eternal life. It requires you nothing in fact.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 4,339,992 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about pretending in the belief of GOD, the MOST HIGH GOD. I was saying to prepare for a GOD, in case HE does exist. Jesus put it this way: "You have no idea when a thief will come. Therefore, I say to you, 'Watch'." But of course not, putting GOD as a thief wasn't so nice, but it is to remind you though.
Religion doesn't work that way.

Christianity is an "all or nothing" paradigm. You either believe in and love this god with everything you have, placing this god first and foremost in your life .... or you don't. There is no "kinda-sorta belief" or a "just in case belief."

Religion has always been - and most likely always will be - about absolutes. There is no room for doubt, no room for questioning, no room for uncertainty. You either plunge into the pool head first or you go home. You can't sit on the edge of the pool and dangle your legs in the water and expect this "most high god" of yours to invite you into heaven.

The only thief that might come is the one who wants to steal my belongings. While no one can know for certain if a generic, unknown god exists, one CAN be certain the Biblegod doesn't exist, and I'm so certain that I'm willing to risk my eternal soul on one of two options:

1) The Biblegod doesn't exist at all
2) Whatever god DOES exist is actually good, fair, and tolerant ... hence he wouldn't throw me in a pit of fire for my lack of belief and would, instead, understand my position and my reasons for being an atheist.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Religion doesn't work that way.

Christianity is an "all or nothing" paradigm. You either believe in and love this god with everything you have, placing this god first and foremost in your life .... or you don't. There is no "kinda-sorta belief" or a "just in case belief."

Religion has always been - and most likely always will be - about absolutes. There is no room for doubt, no room for questioning, no room for uncertainty. You either plunge into the pool head first or you go home. You can't sit on the edge of the pool and dangle your legs in the water and expect this "most high god" of yours to invite you into heaven.

The only thief that might come is the one who wants to steal my belongings. While no one can know for certain if a generic, unknown god exists, one CAN be certain the Biblegod doesn't exist, and I'm so certain that I'm willing to risk my eternal soul on one of two options:

1) The Biblegod doesn't exist at all
2) Whatever god DOES exist is actually good, fair, and tolerant ... hence he wouldn't throw me in a pit of fire for my lack of belief and would, instead, understand my position and my reasons for being an atheist.
You do notice the word, religion, is not fashionable anymore in these days. It is called spirituality nowadays.

We, and yes we, put the book into 66. 66 books, numbered verses, for what sake? Of course not, the original scripture weren't only 66 volumes of them. Not to mention the verses were breaking into numbered verses. It was that you could pick a verse, any verse, that you like or agree with. And you keep it fervently, since you 'believe'. Then through that little mustard seed, you would find the truth.

For example, In the beginning GOD created the heaven and the earth. That is one verse to muse on. And to the some people to hold on. Then here is another one, The LORD is my Shepherd .... So this is another verse to muse on. Don't like that verse, Love pulling some weights, sure: The thief.....Watch! And if you say in your heart, perhaps I could keep a charge to show my gratitude toward GOD, or in case there is one. Pick one now, all these verses in the Bible: love one another; love GOD all your heart all your might, all your soul; be thou perfect and etc.

What you think the heaven is only populated by the Popes? Or you want to obey the Pope's commandments: There is no need to breed like rabbits.(But while he doesn't breed himself,too.) Then there proceeds from the infallible, Being single and produce no children is selfish. Really, I have enough of that pedophile.

After reading all the verses, you say there is no LORD or GOD whatsoever, and I am the LORD. Then very well, carry on your belief like a whirlwind then.

And if you don't have a Bible, you are living in the Bible anyway.

Jesus says, I play this way and you don't cry. Now I play this way, you don't dance.

So anyway,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality