Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,910,596 times

Advertisements

This could apply to any type of fundamentalist. But I think that anytime you hear a conservative or evangelical Christian, you know exactly what they are thinking. You can almost predict what they will say about any topic. They live in a fantasy world where they see themselves as a guide to the blind, and they think so HIGHLY of themselves.

But they are really more like the emperor thinking that he has lovely new clothes, not realizing how naked he truly is. How ashamed he should be by what he believes, or forces himself to believe about himself, as well as what he thinks about other people. They are right on the edge of a cliff not realizing how great their fall will be when it does come (and which will cause a humiliation that could save them).

Their spirit is so fragile that the slightest challenge could bring out the "demon" inside them. They are waiting with stones in hand at anyone who challenges them, whom they see as a threat to their facade.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,805,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This could apply to any type of fundamentalist. But I think that anytime you hear a conservative or evangelical Christian, you know exactly what they are thinking. You can almost predict what they will say about any topic. They live in a fantasy world where they see themselves as a guide to the blind, and they think so HIGHLY of themselves.

But they are really more like the emperor thinking that he has lovely new clothes, not realizing how naked he truly is. How ashamed he should be by what he believes, or forces himself to believe about himself, as well as what he thinks about other people. They are right on the edge of a cliff not realizing how great their fall will be when it does come (and which will cause a humiliation that could save them).

Their spirit is so fragile that the slightest challenge could bring out the "demon" inside them. They are waiting with stones in hand at anyone who challenges them, whom they see as a threat to their facade.

Yeah yeah more christian bashing from someone who is not well informed and does not have the depth of knowledge to put up a real argument and does no know the difference between faith and whatever.

My son, who spent two years in Jerusalem studying Torah at one of the Aches (sp?) and I had a wonderful conversation this afternoon about the history of middle eastern and far eastern belief systems. I think I was able to convince him that the message of Jesus was so unique hat it changed the world. I think I also convinced him that the message of Mohammed was similar in its effect upon the world. Ironically.

Things ae not as simple as most people (even me) think. Do you know Christians who are hate filled, mean, wife beaters, child rapists? Do you know any Christians at all? Because I'm willing to be that you know more wife beaters than you think, and that there are more sex offenders than you think within 10 miles of your place of residence, and that almost all of those folks are not Christians.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:31 AM

10,098 posts, read 5,763,473 times
Quote:

Replace fundamentalist with atheist and you have a lot of truth in your comments. Yep, that's how they are.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:31 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,910,596 times
I agree with these thoughts.

But I am referring to a certain type of religion as represented by the Pharisees and which is alive and well in religion today. It existed before the time of the Jewish religion, and it will continue in some form for a long long time.

This faith system is what the Bible referred to as "Satan."

Old 04-25-2015, 07:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,638,609 times
Quote:

yup. Literalist are not a complicated lot. If we didn't need magic, Christianity wouldn't be so easy. If they didn't think literally Christianity would be unstoppable. But literalist can't see that far.

Sometimes the limiting reactant is the particular reactant itself. In this case it is literal bible.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,317,737 times
Quote:
I agree with these thoughts.

But I am referring to a certain type of religion as represented by the Pharisees and which is alive and well in religion today. It existed before the time of the Jewish religion, and it will continue in some form for a long long time.

This faith system is what the Bible referred to as "Satan."
Zoarastariam?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,618,431 times
No, Ozzy.. as usual, nobody knows what you're talking about.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 17,303 times
Quote:

Well then it sounds like you have not met the right Christians my friend. I will admit a lot if not the majority of ppl who claim to be Christians show a great deal of being a hypocrite judgmental self righteous prideful and even condemning as the church seems to have lost it's way but not all are like this. See a Christian is to put himself below all others not in royal new lovely clothes but ragged dirty ones, to be a servant. And if the slightest challenge brings the demon inside them then they are not mature in faith and if they as you say have stones in their hands waiting to hurl at anyone who they see as a threat to their views and beliefs then maybe they aren't Christian in the first place.

Believe me when i say not all who claim to be Christian really are

Old 04-25-2015, 09:49 AM

20,137 posts, read 13,585,734 times
Quote:
You set yourself up here for the "not all who call me Lord, Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven" argument and sure enough ... the usual suspects have shown up with that line. Comically, their personal take on Christian belief and practice would likely run afoul of fundamentalist dogma and likely afoul of each other's dogma.

You always have Christians who fancy they are closer to "primitive" or "original" Christianity, divorced from organized, bureaucratized orthodoxy and dry lifeless outward form, etc etc. Heck, there are whole religions that claim to be a return to "authentic" Christianity lost in the long-ago (Mormonism, Jehovahs Witnesses, others).

It's actually a variation on the "no true Scottsman", "you were never really one of us" argument against apostates and unbelievers ... just as "no true Christian" ever leaves the faith, "no true Christian" ever embarrasses the faith. Either they are just making human mistakes and we should lighten up on them or they are not "mature enough" or they are "deceived".

Old 04-25-2015, 09:53 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,840,694 times
I do know that Christian apologists are very often intelligent, well educated and able to argue their corner. I fo one am constantly being presented with new points and puzzles (right now I am getting in deeper and deeper into the census of Quirinus with points about who the Tiburtine stone is talking about and the possible redating of Herod's death ) The reason I think we can expect a reversion to appeal to unknowns and faith is because the evidence doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality