Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,348,369 times

Advertisements

So if all you have to do to be saved and go to heaven is to be repentant for your sins, turn to G-D and accept salvation. What happens to bad people, the murderers, rapists, abusers etc.... Are they allowed to say they're sorry for their sins accept G-D and get into heaven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 AM

20,485 posts, read 12,884,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
So if all you have to do to be saved and go to heaven is to be repentant for your sins, turn to G-D and accept salvation. What happens to bad people, the murderers, rapists, abusers etc.... Are they allowed to say they're sorry for their sins accept G-D and get into heaven?
Why is that a problem? Don't you want "bad" people to turn to good?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,221,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is the reason for turning to god (i.e. being arrested after murdering 10 people) unimportant so long as the verbal acknowledgement (and to whom?) is made? And how does one make reparations for the harm done? More prayer?

Thats the logical inconsistency of the "turn to god" at some point meme. It means I can do whatever harm to whoever I want & all I have to do is proclaim my faith & acknowledge my sins. It is another rather convenient tact to gain followers but doesn't seem like the kind of club I'd want to join.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 AM

50,141 posts, read 20,922,483 times
Quote:
I don't see why they should escape justice by slipping a brown envelope to the judge.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Is the reason for turning to god (i.e. being arrested after murdering 10 people) unimportant so long as the verbal acknowledgement (and to whom?) is made? And how does one make reparations for the harm done? More prayer?
Reperations are made to the state.

Quote:
Thats the logical inconsistency of the "turn to god" at some point meme. It means I can do whatever harm to whoever I want & all I have to do is proclaim my faith & acknowledge my sins. It is another rather convenient tact to gain followers but doesn't seem like the kind of club I'd want to join.
The person you describe doesn't sound genuine. Seeking forgiveness from God requires contrition.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't see why they should escape justice by slipping a brown envelope to the judge.
Justice from who? The state or God?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,794,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Yes. That's how salvation works.

Granted, only God knows whether or not they truly have asked for forgiveness of their sins. God's standards of forgiveness aren't the same as ours. We hold grudges and hate in our hearts, while He does not. We throw the sins of others against us in their faces...He does not. I'm definitely not above this b/c I struggle with forgiveness daily. And I'm sure if I had someone close to me murdered, raped, tortured, etc, I'd have a much, much harder time.

But that's the difference between human forgiveness and Christ-centered forgiveness. In the Bible, Jesus himself even asked God to forgive those who beat, tortured, and spat on him.

Accepting God and Jesus is more than just saying/spouting a few lines and then moving on with your life. It really is a daily battle of carrying your cross, fighting against those parts of you that wants to curse at someone, or lie, or hold hatred in your heart, etc. It's knowing and believing that you cannot save yourself, but only through salvation with a relationship with Christ. All of our humanly efforts to be better, do better, etc, without Him, are meaningless in His eyes.

Anyhow, I'm more or less done with this thread. I think the OP's question is a genuine one and that's why I originally replied. But , as expected, there are those who have posted and have only come on here to say how much they don't believe in Christianity, etc. It's not my personal battle to engage in debates about Jesus. It's pointless b/c those who don't believe and are bitter about it won't change their minds or be any more open to accepting Him than they had been prior to posting here.

It's okay though: Christ still exists, whether or not they believe in Him .

Last edited by erjunkee; 05-13-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 08:43 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,221,477 times
Quote:
Reperations are made to the state.
So god doesn't care about the suffering of the families left behind...just that the murderer proclaim worship?

Quote:
The person you describe doesn't sound genuine. Seeking forgiveness from God requires contrition.
Thats the point. How does god sort out genuine and non-genuine? And if god can do that via some special mind-reading power, why not just prevent the murderer from being a murderer in the first place via that special knowledge?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
So god doesn't care about the suffering of the families left behind...just that the murderer proclaim worship?

Thats the point. How does god sort out genuine and non-genuine? And if god can do that via some special mind-reading power, why not just prevent the murderer from being a murderer in the first place via that special knowledge?
If someone murdered your loved one, would you rather they felt remorse or burned in Hell for eternity?

God knows what's genuine because He's our creator.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 AM

50,141 posts, read 20,922,483 times
Quote:
Justice from who? The state or God?
God. The state -justice was an analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality