Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times

Advertisements

Of course not. It's utterly ridiculous. These theories of yours are nothing more than semi-coherent babbling. You started out with an assumption based upon ignorant preconceptions, and are casting about for arguments to support those assumptions. And none of them make any sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:44 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Of course not. It's utterly ridiculous. These theories of yours are nothing more than semi-coherent babbling. You started out with an assumption based upon ignorant preconceptions, and are casting about for arguments to support those assumptions. And none of them make any sense at all.
So u explain it to me what is "hope" in the dictionary of an Atheist ?

Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times
Off the top of my head, I would say a sense of expectation, desire, or anticipation of a positive event.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 AM

779 posts, read 484,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So u explain it to me what is "hope" in the dictionary of an Atheist ?
An expression of desire.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:40 AM

779 posts, read 484,331 times
If your doctor worked in 'mysterious ways' would you still trust in him?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Off the top of my head, I would say a sense of expectation, desire, or anticipation of a positive event.
And it supports my point.
After this life, an Atheist has no expecatation, no desire and no hope - which means he is hopeless in that sense.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,838 times
Quote:
So can we say in the end that,

There is "hope" for believers who were victims but couldn't get justice in this life. And there is hope that perfect justice will be rendered.

Whether this "hope" of believers is true or not, is a matter of faith. No one can prove it right or wrong. It's just faith BUT, there is "hope".

And not to offend anyone but, Atheists are hopeless. Matter of fact, there shouldn't be any concept of "hope" for an Atheist. Is this correct?
There are all sorts of ways we can delude ourselves. Hope or faith in something based upon poor evidence, is simply false hope and blind faith. I don't see either of those as being necessary nor helpful to rationalize my existence, or lack of existence at some point.

But this particular delusion stems from the fear of death. Telling ourselves that we will always exist seems to be a way to rationalize away an irrational fear of non-existence. But this raises questions of course...what if I exist along with "bad" people? So we rationalize that bad people go somewhere else, so as not to disturb the entire point of perpetual existence in some promised land.

At the end of the day, hope and faith can be attributed to many things. But one first needs to question why perpetual existence is the "default" preference. Because there is no rational need to "hope" for perpetual existence, nor the punishment of "bad" people as a byproduct.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,140,549 times
Quote:
And it supports my point.
After this life, an Atheist has no expecatation, no desire and no hope - which means he is hopeless in that sense.

Since atheists have no belief in life after death at least as theist believe your point is somewhat redundant.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:48 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,912 times
Quote:

There is "hope" for believers who were victims but couldn't get justice in this life. And there is hope that perfect justice will be rendered.

Whether this "hope" of believers is true or not, is a matter of faith. No one can prove it right or wrong. It's just faith BUT, there is "hope".

And not to offend anyone but, Atheists are hopeless. Matter of fact, there shouldn't be any concept of "hope" for an Atheist. Is this correct?
The wording is a bit loaded, but in a sense you are correct. I have no expectation of justice after I die, and have to make peace with the reality of injustice without postulating some cosmic reckoning. But of course, you have no "hope" that the flying spaghetti monster will give you beer and strippers after you die, so you too are "hopeless"

In fact, I am not "hopeless" in the sense of despairing, resigned, or pessimistic because I do not rely on a concept of cosmic justice for which there is absolutely no evidence to give my life meaning, purpose, or a sense of optimism.

It would be equally dirty pool to point out that belief without any supporting evidence, or in contradiction to all observable evidence is commonly known as "delusion". And not to offend anyone but, theists are delusional. Is this correct? It is as true as the idea that atheists are hopeless, there is a core piece of information that is unarguably true, but it is then wrapped in questionable rhetoric in an attempt to discredit or denigrate the people on the other side of the argument...

-NoCapo

Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:

This is a very odd way of putting things, almost as if you are searching for derogatory things to say about atheists. You frame hope in a very narrow way, and imply that unlikely hope is somehow beneficial.

I do agree with you to a point. Yes, believers can hope for perfect justice based upon the existence of god, however, as you note we can neither prove nor disprove something that is, by definition, outside of the natural realm. Given that we have zero evidence for a god, and zero evidence for the characteristics of such a god, is it reasonable to have hope for something for which we have no evidence?

Doesn't the atheist have a more realistic view of the world?

As for hope within the world, I can hope that criminals are caught, I can hope that my next meal will be amazing, I can hope that I have enough hot water for a shower, and I can hope that Kate Upton shows up naked and horny at my front door.

Some of these things are more likely than others of course. I can influence some, but not others. Does this make me hopeless?

Do you have any response to my previous post? What are your thoughts on justice from a Christian perspective when evil people make deathbed conversions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality