Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes your view:
Not theist, accept both AGW and evolution. 27 61.36%
Not theist, accept evolution but not AGW. 4 9.09%
Not theist, reject evolution, but accept AGW. 0 0%
Not theist, reject both AGW and evolution. 0 0%
Theist, accept both AGW and evolution. 8 18.18%
Theist, accept evolution but not AGW. 3 6.82%
Theist, reject evolution, but accept AGW. 1 2.27%
Theist, reject both AGW and evolution. 0 0%
None of the above. 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,742,080 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that most people who oppose the theory of evolution are religious. The links between religion and skepticism about climate change are not so clear, although there does seem to be a significant correlation. This article on the Washington Post website (The surprising links between faith and evolution and climate denial — charted - The Washington Post ) discusses data that relates religious affiliation, views on evolution, and views on "stricter environmental regulations" (which, as far as I can see, is not specific to climate change, but still interesting in light of the climate change debate). I find it interesting that atheists, agnostics, and Buddhists tend to be the largest groups in favor of both evolution and environmental regulations.

The article also points out that "The main driver of climate science rejection, however, appears to be a free market ideology...." This, of course, should come as no surprise to anyone in these debates. If anthropogenic global warming (AGW) is true, then it does suggest that an international effort supporting environmental regulations may be the wisest path, and this obviously triggers panic attacks among those who tend to have the greatest fears of government - especially those who fear "one world government". (Note the latest statements from Obama: Obama: It would be a "dereliction of duty" to ignore climate change. The steaks are extremely high.) To these folks, it just looks suspiciously too convenient that AGW pushes us toward international environmental regulations, so it is natural that these folks will be the most ardent "climate skeptics". What I find interesting is that, whether they are religiously-motivated or not, the climate skeptics have torn a major page from the anti-evolution playbook - namely, the tactics of attacking the "peer review" approach to scientific publications, and using the natural internal debate structure of science as a type of political tool for turning public opinion against a prevailing scientific theory.

The bottom line is that a great many average non-scientists feel justified in attacking - with great emotional/social/political gusto - a dominant scientific theory as if they know more about the science than the majority of scientists. All it takes is a handful of scientists who are willing to support the "denialist" position, and bang, you have a full-blown, massive conspiracy theory. A conspiracy theory is needed because, otherwise, it is difficult to explain how so many (a vast majority of) scientists who devote their lives to a particular science can be so wildly wrong about their data. Either the government is tricking everyone, and/or the scientists are unconsciously biased about their data due to their religious/political ideologies. Science, in effect, comes to be perceived as essentially just a political/atheist tool used to trick everyone into playing along with a certain ideology.

It is an interesting historical dynamic that obviously sets the stage for incredibly heated debates. One question I have is: Where do we go from here? If scientific data published in peer-reviewed science journals is virtually worthless when it implies something, one way or another, about a political/religious ideology, then what do we do if/when we need to make major political decisions? And what type of impact, if any, should science have on our religious and/or spiritual views? We are increasingly dependent upon science to help us make life-saving or life-threatening decisions that can have global impact, but at the same time a lot of people are tearing down the public image of science for political and/or religious reasons. Skepticism is built into science, but the types of skepticism hitting evolution and climate change seem mostly rooted in something outside of science.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 05-21-2015 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,273,240 times
With reluctance, since it may seem that denying AGW is also denying that human activity does no harm, which it isn't, I'll vote.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,336,559 times
In my opinion, the jury is still out on just how much human activity has affected the climate, yet only the biggest boneheads and unscrupulous corporatists can deny the truly massive increase in CO^2 levels since the industrial revolution.

Those who deny climate change now reminds me of old Baghdad Bob who was telling the Iraqi people that there were no American troops in Baghdad as U.S. tanks rolled through the city. It's here and I can see the changes - feel them - for myself.

Where do we go from here? Well ... nowhere. I hate to be a pessimist - and I'm not when it comes to the individual. But as a species, nah, I think we're pretty much doomed. I think we might have one, possibly two more revolutionary inventions on par with the internet, the automobile, et. al., before we become cornered and rendered immobile by a faith-based economic system that those with the money will never change.

Climate change denial is a classic example of what I'm talking about. Even if man-made pollution isn't responsible, our lifestyle is still unsustainable without making some serious changes. Unfortunately, fear, paranoia, governophobia, fundamentalism, corporate fascism, and old fashioned greed will run our species into the ground until there's not much left aside from indescribable poverty, disease, and massive human die-offs all over the world. All because we lack vision; no one cares about the future anymore.

Even now, right this very minute, it's May 21st and I still have to wear a coat and turn the heat on in the house. Because it's always cold here. Between summer temperatures that never seem to climb above 60 on the best of days, the perpetual slate-gray overcast, the incessant rain, and the constant damp cold, this is by FAR the most depressing place I have ever lived. And it wasn't like this not so very long ago. We should be enjoying temperatures in the high 70's or low 80's with a brilliant azure sky. Where once birdsong was almost deafening there is now only eerie silence. Wild animals have been tearing apart our garbage - especially bears - because they've awoken from hibernation to find nothing to eat.

I live in a place where climate change cannot be denied.

I'm not entirely sure why fundamentalists have hitched their wagon to the paranoid right-wing political culture. I sometimes think it's simply because they can't stand the idea of agreeing with anyone who might be politically liberal and religiously atheist. Unfortunately, however, most American fundamentalists spend more time worshiping Mammon than they do Christ - the love of money far outstrips their love of God.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM

10,547 posts, read 6,194,606 times
I would ask anybody that has doubts about climate change to watch this:

VICE: Greenland's melting glaciers

The climate change portion is only about the first 15 minutes. It is well worth watching.

The evidence is undeniable.

Even if the evidence was questionable, this is the only planet we have. Why wouldn't we do everything we can to look after it?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM

18,525 posts, read 9,210,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Even if the evidence was questionable, this is the only planet we have. Why wouldn't we do everything we can to look after it?
Because it might negatively impact next quarter's profits.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,273,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I would ask anybody that has doubts about climate change to watch this:

VICE: Greenland's melting glaciers

The climate change portion is only about the first 15 minutes. It is well worth watching.

The evidence is undeniable.

Keep in mind, the question wasn't about climate change but about anthropogenic global warming.
There is a difference.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 AM

10,547 posts, read 6,194,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Keep in mind, the question wasn't about climate change but about anthropogenic global warming.
There is a difference.

Yes I agree. I was going to say something about that in my response but thought twice about the lengthy explanation that entailed.
I do agree, I prefer to use 'climate change' over AGW myself. However it seemed easier to just respond given the choices. Also the bulk of Gaylenwoofs post talked about climate change so I went with that.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,796,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There is a difference.
I agree there is a distinction, but there kind of is a distinction without a difference.

If we have climate change that we did not cause, but that we can halt, mitigate or otherwise control by changing our behavior, then the outcomes, the actions we should take would be very similar to those needed to address climate change if we were the cause.

The only time the distinction matters is if we want to say that because we did not cause it, we are either incapable of changing or mitigating the consequences, or that we should not try, even if we can... We can agree that climate changes, the distinction between "climate change" and "AGW" really boils down to a difference of opinion over the question, "do we have a responsibility to change our behavior in response?"

I think the idea of responsibility is missing the point. We live here. Regardless of what caused the changes, we are going to have to roll with them, and learning to live in a lighter more sustainable, conscious way is the only viable long term approach. Anything less is just arguing over deck chairs on the Titanic.

-NoCapo

Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 AM

779 posts, read 484,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
In my opinion, the jury is still out on just how much human activity has affected the climate, yet only the biggest boneheads and unscrupulous corporatists can deny the truly massive increase in CO^2 levels since the industrial revolution.

Those who deny climate change now reminds me of old Baghdad Bob who was telling the Iraqi people that there were no American troops in Baghdad as U.S. tanks rolled through the city. It's here and I can see the changes - feel them - for myself.

Where do we go from here? Well ... nowhere. I hate to be a pessimist - and I'm not when it comes to the individual. But as a species, nah, I think we're pretty much doomed. I think we might have one, possibly two more revolutionary inventions on par with the internet, the automobile, et. al., before we become cornered and rendered immobile by a faith-based economic system that those with the money will never change.

Climate change denial is a classic example of what I'm talking about. Even if man-made pollution isn't responsible, our lifestyle is still unsustainable without making some serious changes. Unfortunately, fear, paranoia, governophobia, fundamentalism, corporate fascism, and old fashioned greed will run our species into the ground until there's not much left aside from indescribable poverty, disease, and massive human die-offs all over the world. All because we lack vision; no one cares about the future anymore.

Even now, right this very minute, it's May 21st and I still have to wear a coat and turn the heat on in the house. Because it's always cold here. Between summer temperatures that never seem to climb above 60 on the best of days, the perpetual slate-gray overcast, the incessant rain, and the constant damp cold, this is by FAR the most depressing place I have ever lived. And it wasn't like this not so very long ago. We should be enjoying temperatures in the high 70's or low 80's with a brilliant azure sky. Where once birdsong was almost deafening there is now only eerie silence. Wild animals have been tearing apart our garbage - especially bears - because they've awoken from hibernation to find nothing to eat.

I live in a place where climate change cannot be denied.

I'm not entirely sure why fundamentalists have hitched their wagon to the paranoid right-wing political culture. I sometimes think it's simply because they can't stand the idea of agreeing with anyone who might be politically liberal and religiously atheist. Unfortunately, however, most American fundamentalists spend more time worshiping Mammon than they do Christ - the love of money far outstrips their love of God.
They hitch their wagons because the GOP highlights a couple of the issues they hold dear. Abortion is wrong, and a fight for religious freedom. Which they already have.

The GOP is using both of these to keep everyone on board, so they can still win elections so they can serve the needs of the corporatists that they really serve. When you look at the careless destruction caused in the name of profits it's just appalling.

But the religious right has a way out. The rapture. They are not concerned with this world. Their rewards are in heaven.

The GOP could not have picked a better group of voters to play to. This is why the 'southern strategy' was so important to them.
They picked people that believed in 'pie in the sky' because if you believe that you'll most likely believe anything we tell you, as long as we package it with a crucifix.

I wonder how christians got around the tenet of stewardship. Everything you are given is a gift from the almighty, and as such should be taken very good care of.
I guess they forgot that one.

Last edited by willingsniper; 05-21-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,349,405 times
Fascinating. Muslims, contrary to popular belief, are more scientifically progressive that the Bible thumping brethren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality