Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

If you haven't watched this video, you should. Is it a coincidence that prayer works or does prayer actually work?

The Best Optical Illusion in the World.

http://youtu.be/jk6ILZAaAMI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:04 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
I'm not watching a 9-minute youtube video without at least some idea what's in it.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:06 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm not watching a 9-minute youtube video without at least some idea what's in it.
It begs the question that if you pray to a jug of milk the result is the same as if you pray to god.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:02 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If you haven't watched this video, you should. Is it a coincidence that prayer works or does prayer actually work?

The Best Optical Illusion in the World.

http://youtu.be/jk6ILZAaAMI
real simple. if you know enough about the person and the choices they consider. "Bell curve it". You will see where prayer works and doesn't work. "prayer" to settle your mind and "unlock it" during stressful times most definitely works.

The "magic part" ... ... nope.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:34 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Sometimes prayers don't change the situation for you, it changes you according to the situation.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It begs the question that if you pray to a jug of milk the result is the same as if you pray to god.
It depends on what your goal for prayer is. Nowhere in the Bible does it suggest that prayer is about us getting what we want. It's about worshiping God.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Nowhere? Just a few......notice that 'whatsoever'?

John 14:13-14 - And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (Read More...)

Matthew 21:22 - And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

John 14:14 - If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do [it].

John 16:24 - Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

John 14:13 - And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 15:16 - Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

John 15:7 - If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive [them], and ye shall have [them

There are more at this link
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT ASK IN JESUS NAME

Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,731,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Nowhere? Just a few......notice that 'whatsoever'?

John 14:13-14 - And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (Read More...)

Matthew 21:22 - And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

John 14:14 - If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do [it].

John 16:24 - Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

John 14:13 - And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 15:16 - Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

John 15:7 - If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive [them], and ye shall have [them

There are more at this link
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT ASK IN JESUS NAME
And a born again Christian will ask for things that align with the nature and spirit of God. Therefore, God will grant such things. See how it works out beautifully? If I prayed for God to strike down an enemy of mine with lightning for example, that prayer would fail because such a request isn't aligned with the spirit of God.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And a born again Christian will ask for things that align with the nature and spirit of God. Therefore, God will grant such things. See how it works out beautifully? If I prayed for God to strike down an enemy of mine with lightning for example, that prayer would fail because such a request isn't aligned with the spirit of God.
No, I don't see how it works beautifully.

What I DO see is a helluva lot of rationalizing. It's the old "sometimes God says no" excuse. I would think praying for a young girl about to be stoned to death for falling in love with a boy from the wrong tribe would be aligned with the nature and spirit of God -- at least, the nature and spirit of a truly good and just God.

Guess what the outcome was. Uh huh. I'm sure if you go there now, you can still find rocks with that girl's brains still stuck to them.

I used to pray - and pray a lot given that I once lived in a rather volatile part of the world where Hindus and Muslims were always at odds. Nothing ever came of it. Pray as I did, nothing ever got better. And I was but a little girl then, innocent and guileless. And still no prayers were answered. Heh. Needless to say, my road to atheism began very early for me.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
No, I don't see how it works beautifully.

What I DO see is a helluva lot of rationalizing. It's the old "sometimes God says no" excuse. I would think praying for a young girl about to be stoned to death for falling in love with a boy from the wrong tribe would be aligned with the nature and spirit of God -- at least, the nature and spirit of a truly good and just God.

Guess what the outcome was. Uh huh. I'm sure if you go there now, you can still find rocks with that girl's brains still stuck to them.

I used to pray - and pray a lot given that I once lived in a rather volatile part of the world where Hindus and Muslims were always at odds. Nothing ever came of it. Pray as I did, nothing ever got better. And I was but a little girl then, innocent and guileless. And still no prayers were answered. Heh. Needless to say, my road to atheism began very early for me.
Well, of course, you just weren't praying to the right god...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality