Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Don't forget the fact that Noah was a shrewd businessman and nautical engineer as well.

*sings*

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
a tale of a God ordained trip,
that started from this black sea port,
aboard this great big ship.

The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
the Skipper brave and sure,
6000 passengers set sail that day
for a 960 hour tour."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
And eight of the best and forget the rest
were shipboard, safe and sound.
And two by two
was a ruddy great zoo.
And all the others drowned.
Bravo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I am an atheist for many reasons but one of the main reasons why I consider the Bible to be man made is the glaring lack of details in the Bible of what most Christians I assume would consider to be important events and places. God apparently in his infinite wisdom does not give us the exact locations in latitude and longitude of the Garden of Eden, where Noah's Ark landed, where Jesus was hung on a cross and where exactly is Jesus's tomb among other things. I for one don't believe any of it of course. If God could explain in more scientific / engineering details how all those animals fit on an ark and were kept alive, etc., I might be swayed in that direction. I could go on but I will let others write now.
There are people who lived in the midst of Jesus while He was on the earth - and they still didn't believe in Him - and in fact killed Him.

The fact that you may be swayed by a few details is unlikely to happen - especially when you state that you don't believe it anyway.

I think probably knew what He was doing in not wasting effort in leaving out many details - because you nailed it - it's all about whether or not you choose to believe in what was written.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the OP...

There are people who lived in the midst of Jesus while He was on the earth - and they still didn't believe in Him - and in fact killed Him.

The fact that you may be swayed by a few details is unlikely to happen - especially when you state that you don't believe it anyway.

I think probably knew what He was doing in not wasting effort in leaving out many details - because you nailed it - it's all about whether or not you choose to believe in what was written.
I can't "choose" to believe anything. It either makes sense, or not. If it makes sense, I tend to believe it. If it can also be corroborated, especially by several independent sources, I would accept it as truth.

The bible is full of stories that make no sense, except metaphorically. Therefore, I do not believe it.

Those who believe the stories are truth -- that Jonah was swallowed by a giant fish, Noah's ark etc. -- are, to be charitable, naive.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:32 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I can't "choose" to believe anything. It either makes sense, or not. If it makes sense, I tend to believe it. If it can also be corroborated, especially by several independent sources, I would accept it as truth.

The bible is full of stories that make no sense, except metaphorically. Therefore, I do not believe it.

Those who believe the stories are truth -- that Jonah was swallowed by a giant fish, Noah's ark etc. -- are, to be charitable, naive.
Sure you can "choose". If you were not at an event, then it's like you said - you would have others who were there first hand that could give you a report. You can choose to believe the report, or the research, or whatever - or you could choose not to believe.

My youngest chooses to eat (when he gets to choose) a bunch of snacks, and plain burgers with ketchup only, and fruit juice. One day I mixed up a bunch of fruit, and asked him to try it because it tastes good and it's good for him. He turned up his nose. I gave him a first hand testimony of how good the fruit was - and he rejected it. He chose not to believe me - and I am eating right in front of him. Down the road, he was sick, and I made him eat some of the fruit that I had made - first bite, he looked at me with the look that acknowledged that I was right about the fruit.

With regards to the Bible, the writers are the witnesses to what took place. You choose not to believe. I choose to believe.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
...snip...
With regards to the Bible, the writers are the witnesses to what took place. You choose not to believe. I choose to believe.
I choose not to be naive.

Last edited by TroutDude; 08-25-2015 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: missed a 'to.'

Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
You are making an assumption based on your misperception below.

It does not add up because you are assuming that 339 different breeds of dogs has to be on the ark.

Genesis 6:19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female. 20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

You only need 2 pairs of dogs, male & female in each pair. You get your varieties soon enough through variations within the species. As it is with the dogs, so it is the same with other species so the number you are thinking of when assuming that different variations within the species are required to be on the ark is wrong & has been greatly reduced when the Bible is referring to the collection among different kinds of species altogether.

That is why black people can give birth to albinos and why Jacob & Esau were different when they were born; Jacob having smooth skinned and Esau being hairy with red hair.

Yep. That's right. Blacks, whites, reds, yellows, browns, etc, all came from Noah & his family.

Try to recollect; have you not heard of a new species discovered among a species that belongs in that class of species? Have you not heard of a new hybrid?

So why is it so hard to fathom that only two pairs of dogs, male & female, 2 by 2, were needed on the ark for that species to survive from which we have gotten all our variations of dogs from?

But, if you are searching for excuses NOT TO believe, well, that is easy to do, but it doesn't change the fact that God is coming to judge the earth with fire soon just as He has done with the global flood.

But you still would have had to have red wolves and regular wolves, coyotes, dogs, jackels. African painted dogs, all the fox species, red, arctic etc, so it is a lot more than two dog kinds unless you beleive in evolution working rapidly. There are currently 34 species within the dog or canid family, and 41 within the cat family. There are also I think 3 elephant species that are alive today and more than that that are extinct. Did the ark have two of each vole and mouse species or just one mouse kind?

Almost think that some think that evolution only worked right after Noah's flood and it worked very rapidly.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:41 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
God taught me long ago that if I want the facts and the truth I had to get it from Him on His terms.
So long as you support rebellion to God, you will never let God in to reveal the truth to you.
There are many answers in scriptures to those questions you have, but the best resource is God Himself.
Hence we have so many religion based on their own version of the bible, and not the Spirit of God.
Humility goes a long way in recovery, and discovery.
I could teach you what God taught me, but that's not His design, and if the Holy Spirit is not in your life, none of this will make sense any way.
You are the one putting the brakes on, stopping God from teaching you.
Jesus already made the provision .

Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM

468 posts, read 265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But you still would have had to have red wolves and regular wolves, coyotes, dogs, jackels. African painted dogs, all the fox species, red, arctic etc, so it is a lot more than two dog kinds unless you beleive in evolution working rapidly. There are currently 34 species within the dog or canid family, and 41 within the cat family. There are also I think 3 elephant species that are alive today and more than that that are extinct. Did the ark have two of each vole and mouse species or just one mouse kind?

Almost think that some think that evolution only worked right after Noah's flood and it worked very rapidly.
We currently have a few thousand species of corn. All made to handle different conditions . They originated from 6 . This was done in under a century with no evolution involved.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM

468 posts, read 265,941 times
If you can't swallow multiple groups breeding out of the same species then you surely can't swallow all species breeding out of the same bacterial beginning.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickstack View Post
We currently have a few thousand species of corn. All made to handle different conditions . They originated from 6 . This was done in under a century with no evolution involved.

Species or breeds? I could only find the reference for a single species. It required a large effort of selective breeding to create the different breeds or varieties. If evolution did not occur then some one had to do selective breeding of the cats to produce the house cat and the tiger or else they came from a common ancestor. If evolution occurred it happens at a much slower pace than selective breeding. The amount of variety we can get through selective breeding depends on the genetic variety in the first place. No amount of artifical breeding of house cats will produce the variety we were able to obtain with the domestic dog.

Did Noah or his sons artifically select the different cat and dog species into the 34 and 41 species that we have today? I am not talking about dog breeds or varieties of corn but with dogs, many species of foxes, hyenas, painted dogs, wolves and coyotes and jackels. Did this all come about from natural selection without evolution, from selective breeding or were there at lest 68 dogs and 82 cats on board the Ark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality