Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 06:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,168,952 times

Advertisements

It struck me that those who are the opponents of same sex marriages had up to now been arguing for the matter to be settled on the Federal level, asking for a national protection of marriage law which would prevent states from legalizing same sex marriages.

The Federal government has indeed settled the matter, but with the judicial rather than legislative branch making the determination, and not making the determination the opponents desired.

So, I now look for those same people who wanted the national law, to re-emerge as staunch states righters....as in "How dare the Supreme Court intrude on a states' right to regulate marriage within its borders!!??"

States rights has always been a bogus issue, a tool to be used when you don't like what the federal government is doing, but a tool which is instantly discarded if you don't like what your state is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 06:22 PM

7,252 posts, read 7,097,852 times
I have to say that I'm pleased that so many people have been supporting the new reality in America. And I'm sad, but not surprised, to see the bigots still clinging to their backwards thinking.

Up next: the implosion of the politicians who stand up against the new reality.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:24 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well you are doing a poor job of it because your side is the one who is being rude, condescending, mean, and downright insulting. Our side? We don't resort to mockery and constant need to use labels like "bigots" to prop up your wafer thin position. The ONLY hatred we have in our hearts is hatred for sin because when you are born again, sin grieves the spirit. OTOH, you think the model of Christianity is to embrace and encourage sin. You even admitted yourself that you didn't know for sure if homosexuality was truly a sin. But then again, I don't see how anyone can take your Christian perspective seriously anymore now that you presented a belief that human beings are nothing more than animals.

The right to free speech shouldn't come with consequences. You need to learn to accept and respect that not everyone thinks like you. Some of us still believe in the Bible.

And all you have to do is replace gay marriage with something you do find immoral and your argument falls flat on its face. Would you like to be told to just accept it and move on? Actually I would like to move on because there are much more serious problems in our world, but the gay community and the media for the last few years have acted like gay rights are the most important issue in the entire country and their rights are much more important than anyone else. Sadly, I don't think I can move on because this won't be the end of it for Christians. I agree with Bobby Jindal, and he has my respect for being bold and not bowing down on this issue:

“The Supreme Court decision today conveniently and not surprisingly follows public opinion polls, and tramples on states’ rights that were once protected by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. Marriage between a man and a woman was established by God, and no earthly court can alter that.

This decision will pave the way for an all out assault against the religious freedom rights of Christians who disagree with this decision. This ruling must not be used as pretext by Washington to erode our right to religious liberty."
Jeff, have you not yet seen that I never wear my good pants when I go to fight for freedom. You and Jindal are in the same boat, and it's stuck in the mud of the Mississippi.

Christ followers figuratively have their hands and pants dirty all the time. We are engaged in fighting for freedom, not for ourselves, but for those than are hungry (ask Jindal what he's doing about that), from poverty (ask him again), from unjust social systems (which he underwrites), from addiction and real evils like human trafficking and marginalizing gay and homosexual people.

We share with those you proclaim to be hopeless that there really is hope to be found, just not in the religion of exclusion.

Nobody cares what you know about your bible, jeff.

Before people care what you know, they have to know that you care.

You don't. Uganda must really be a blessed country, since gays can't get married there. I'm sure it would be quite easy for you to get a visa. If you need money on your journey some of us will assist you. I'd be quite generous, and I live on social security.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,750,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You poor, sad, frightened little man.

You have my pity.
And you only prove my point with fake sympathy, belittling comments and mockery. Doesn't say much for your side of the fence.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,642,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Actually, that was Eusebius.

But they all kinda look/post alike.
Oh, that's right. Jeff was the one who said Duggar isn't really a pedophile, because it was all just "boys will be boys," ya know.

It's so hard to tell them apart sometimes.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:44 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,188,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It struck me that those who are the opponents of same sex marriages had up to now been arguing for the matter to be settled on the Federal level, asking for a national protection of marriage law which would prevent states from legalizing same sex marriages.

The Federal government has indeed settled the matter, but with the judicial rather than legislative branch making the determination, and not making the determination the opponents desired.

So, I now look for those same people who wanted the national law, to re-emerge as staunch states righters....as in "How dare the Supreme Court intrude on a states' right to regulate marriage within its borders!!??"

States rights has always been a bogus issue, a tool to be used when you don't like what the federal government is doing, but a tool which is instantly discarded if you don't like what your state is doing.
Funny how that works, isn't it?

Great post.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:48 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,750,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Oh, that's right. Jeff was the one who said Duggar isn't really a pedophile, because it was all just "boys will be boys," ya know.

It's so hard to tell them apart sometimes.
And what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

I don't recall ever saying "boys will be boys". I simply don't see children as meeting the criteria for being a pedophile. If young boys have the same sexual maturity as adults then there shouldn't be any laws punishing consensual sex between minors and adults. That's a fair point that no one on your side dared to take on.

The only thing I gained from the Duggar thread is renewed knowledge that once your side targets someone, there is no reasoning with you even if the facts slap you in the face.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Speaking of Duggar...... A couple of months ago he stood on the steps of the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. and preached against marriage equality to a group of people that looked like they were supporters of Fred Phelps.

Yesterday he found out gay citizens have the right to marry. Equality Under the Law: 1 - Josh Duggar: 0

Yay.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,259,123 times
Quote:
And what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

I don't recall ever saying "boys will be boys". I simply don't see children as meeting the criteria for being a pedophile. If young boys have the same sexual maturity as adults then there shouldn't be any laws punishing consensual sex between minors and adults. That's a fair point that no one on your side dared to take on.

The only thing I gained from the Duggar thread is renewed knowledge that once your side targets someone, there is no reasoning with you even if the facts slap you in the face.
Gotta start paying attention to those pesky facts..I know they get in the way of your fantasy...

Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,225,811 times
Quote:
And you only prove my point with fake sympathy, belittling comments and mockery. Doesn't say much for your side of the fence.
Perception is everything.

And you lack it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality