Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 02:08 PM

27 posts, read 14,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
For all you who dislike dog fighting, DON"T PARTICIPATE IN DOG FIGHTING. It's that simple!

See how your simple logic doesn't work when it comes to things you would find morally wrong? Now imagine that dog fighting is made legal and promoted by the government. Imagine turning on the tv and seeing dog fighting in every show. Dog fighting pride parades. Businesses force to cater to the needs of dog fighters. etc..

(and no I'm not saying SSM is just as bad as dog fighting, sad that I have to make this disclaimer)
What a fine example of the way some Christians think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 03:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
For all you who dislike dog fighting, DON"T PARTICIPATE IN DOG FIGHTING. It's that simple!

See how your simple logic doesn't work when it comes to things you would find morally wrong? Now imagine that dog fighting is made legal and promoted by the government. Imagine turning on the tv and seeing dog fighting in every show. Dog fighting pride parades. Businesses force to cater to the needs of dog fighters. etc..

(and no I'm not saying SSM is just as bad as dog fighting, sad that I have to make this disclaimer)
Jeff, don't you see the difference between two consenting adults, vs dogs who don't even have a choice in the issue?

Old 06-27-2015, 03:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

Apples and idiotic hobbies of mouth-breathers.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:39 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
And then you should be aware that you probably wouldn't like the government endorsing it, seeing it on your tv all the time, being forced as a business owner to service it, would you? Then you should understand why telling us that we should have no problem with gay marriage as long as we don't parcipate in it is ridiculously awful argument. That is the element that I am comparing here.

It's sad because I know you can't be that obtuse. I am clearly only comparing SITUATIONS of moral conflict, not a direct to direct comparison. I have to go to extreme examples because I really don't know what ppl on your side find offensive. Maybe nose pickers?

If I am so full o nonsense, why do you waste your time posting condesending remarks like this to me? Do you honestly think you are going to convince me that you are the moral righteous side of the fence by insulting me?
No, what we are all trying to do is to make sure anyone on the fence on CD knows what a dingbat they will look like for adopting self-serving, bigoted, anti-Jesus, cracker-headed, unloving, finger-pointing, morally bankrupt, narrow-minded, condescending, pagan, anti-constitutional, hateful beliefs that drive people away from God.

You've pretty much convinced us that you like that muddy side of the fence and prefer to wallow in it.

I'm picking my nose as I contemplate on it.

I don't care for the Duggars but have no problem letting them broadcast their BS to knuckleheads.

I have nothing but sadness with serial marriage by heterosexuals but don't think it should be outlawed.

I have only disgust for the hateful bigotry coming from the pulpits of many fundamentalist churches, but would defend their right to be azzholes.

What I do have a problem with is people in this country with false "morals" claiming that someone else doing something in their own province--whether it is watching BS on TV, or getting divorced over and over to have bunny rabbit marriages, or going to their church to feel self-righteous over the sin of "others," OR marrying someone they love, legally, lawfully, and with COMMITMENT, should be offended.

As our newly elected Republican Senator here in Colorado said regarding this issue---he believes in traditional marriage, but the Supreme Court has made its ruling and now its time to move on to MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES. That was the only Republican comment I heard that sounded like someone who didn't have his head where the sun don't shine. And he gained my respect although he never got my vote.

See how easy that was?

Old 06-27-2015, 04:00 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I am just amazed at this analogy which isn't even close. Same-sex marriage is about 2 people who love each other CHOSE to enter into a union and dog fighting is about dogs who are beaten, abused and forced to fight and just have a brutal life couldn't be more different. This isn't even comparing apples to oranges. This is comparing apples to the Taj Mahal.

Cat
Both are something that a lot of people find immoral. That is the only thing that they share in common. I find it hard to believe that you just don't get that. Your silly argument that I should be fine with gay marriage if I don't participate in it doesn't work when you replace it with something you DO find immoral.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:05 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
That's completely false. There is not one word in that article about him trying to overturn the ruling.

Just read it, for god's sake. All he's doing is criticizing it, not threatening to overturn it.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:07 PM

247 posts, read 236,596 times
Quote:
Both are something that a lot of people find immoral. That is the only thing that they share in common. I find it hard to believe that you just don't get that.
...and the left wing atheist bad-smelling liberal homosexual with halitosis and a sinister conspiratorial agenda, as well as many Christians find YOUR views immoral, and find it hard to believe you just don't get that either.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:26 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No, what we are all trying to do is to make sure anyone on the fence on CD knows what a dingbat they will look like for adopting self-serving, bigoted, anti-Jesus, cracker-headed, unloving, finger-pointing, morally bankrupt, narrow-minded, condescending, pagan, anti-constitutional, hateful beliefs that drive people away from God.

Well you are doing a poor job of it because your side is the one who is being rude, condescending, mean, and downright insulting. Our side? We don't resort to mockery and constant need to use labels like "bigots" to prop up your wafer thin position. The ONLY hatred we have in our hearts is hatred for sin because when you are born again, sin grieves the spirit. OTOH, you think the model of Christianity is to embrace and encourage sin. You even admitted yourself that you didn't know for sure if homosexuality was truly a sin. But then again, I don't see how anyone can take your Christian perspective seriously anymore now that you presented a belief that human beings are nothing more than animals.

Quote:

You've pretty much convinced us that you like that muddy side of the fence and prefer to wallow in it.

I'm picking my nose as I contemplate on it.

I don't care for the Duggars but have no problem letting them broadcast their BS to knuckleheads.

I have nothing but sadness with serial marriage by heterosexuals but don't think it should be outlawed.

I have only disgust for the hateful bigotry coming from the pulpits of many fundamentalist churches, but would defend their right to be azzholes.

The right to free speech shouldn't come with consequences. You need to learn to accept and respect that not everyone thinks like you. Some of us still believe in the Bible.

Quote:

What I do have a problem with is people in this country with false "morals" claiming that someone else doing something in their own province--whether it is watching BS on TV, or getting divorced over and over to have bunny rabbit marriages, or going to their church to feel self-righteous over the sin of "others," OR marrying someone they love, legally, lawfully, and with COMMITMENT, should be offended.

As our newly elected Republican Senator here in Colorado said regarding this issue---he believes in traditional marriage, but the Supreme Court has made its ruling and now its time to move on to MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES. That was the only Republican comment I heard that sounded like someone who didn't have his head where the sun don't shine. And he gained my respect although he never got my vote.

See how easy that was?
And all you have to do is replace gay marriage with something you do find immoral and your argument falls flat on its face. Would you like to be told to just accept it and move on? Actually I would like to move on because there are much more serious problems in our world, but the gay community and the media for the last few years have acted like gay rights are the most important issue in the entire country and their rights are much more important than anyone else. Sadly, I don't think I can move on because this won't be the end of it for Christians. I agree with Bobby Jindal, and he has my respect for being bold and not bowing down on this issue:

“The Supreme Court decision today conveniently and not surprisingly follows public opinion polls, and tramples on states’ rights that were once protected by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. Marriage between a man and a woman was established by God, and no earthly court can alter that.

This decision will pave the way for an all out assault against the religious freedom rights of Christians who disagree with this decision. This ruling must not be used as pretext by Washington to erode our right to religious liberty."

Old 06-27-2015, 04:28 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
The specifics of the example is irrelevant. What IS relevant is posing a situation where YOU would not feel comfortable with the societal norm. But your side says I should just get with the program.

Deep down, you know I'm right which is why you have to retreat and say that we are equating homosexuality with these other moral offenses when that is not the point at all. I even made a freaking disclaimer so you wouldn't go that route.
If your god gave people free will, why do you try to impede upon another person's god given right? Do you think our government should have all of it's law agree exclusively with Biblical rules? Do you think our government should only look out for the Christians' interests, and exclude the rights of non-believers?

We live in a country where we are free to have homosexual relations, and now same-sex marriage is legal. As of yesterday's ruling, did your government take any rights away from you? You can still marry a person of the opposite sex. Nothing has changed for you, we have just made the same law more inclusive.

If anything, you should realize that your Bible no longer has the power to keep gay people hiding in the shadows, and atheists no longer fear condemnation when they share their point of view. Let's face it Jeff, it's just not as easy as it used to be, to put the fear of god into people. Preaching of fire and brimstone has lost its impact. The truth is that the United States is one nation under many belief systems, and not just Jeff's.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:41 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Let's face it Jeff, it's just not as easy as it used to be, to put the fear of god into people. Preaching of fire and brimstone has lost its impact.
And that drives a lot of people crazy. They are losing control, and they don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality