Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times

Advertisements

How do you explain (whether by religion or spirituality) the fact that some of the most innocent people get horrible afflictions, like cancer?

For example, your grandma who never did a horrible thing in her life, tried to eat as healthy as she knew how, was sweet to everyone, and never took drugs or smoked gets lung cancer or liver cancer.

Or.. a child has leukemia.. what did they do to deserve that?

On the other hand, the heroin addict or thief or murderer never gets sick.

Obviously these are hypothetical but I wonder what you think.

Don't we always get what we deserve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I don't know.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Oh, honey, if we got what we deserved...I mean if we would allow it...
we'd be walking around in bliss...and actually not even be on this earth plane!

(But, we're gettin' there! Each one of us!)

Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, honey, if we got what we deserved...I mean if we would allow it...
we'd be walking around in bliss...and actually not even be on this earth plane!

(But, we're gettin' there! Each one of us!)
I get that. I was talking more about karma/eye for an eye/actions have equal reactions etc.

It seems that "life is not fair" (reality) doesn't jive with religion (eye for an eye/prayer) or spirituality (karma/LOA) or even science (actions have equal reactions).

Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
I was talking more about karma...
Nothing is what it seems.
Here, this is what I mean...

A student asks his Teacher, "Why did the good man of the village just get robbed and the
bad man of the village just find 5 gold coins?"
Teacher, "Nothing is what it seems. In another life the good man was not so good and was
supposed to be robbed, beated and hung upside down from that tree.
But because he has lead a good life...he was only robbed."

"The 'bad' man was very good in another life and was supposed to find an entire chest of gold coins.
But, bec he has lived a 'bad' life...he only found 5 coins.
Nothing is what it seems."

Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
How do you explain (whether by religion or spirituality) the fact that some of the most innocent people get horrible afflictions, like cancer?

For example, your grandma who never did a horrible thing in her life, tried to eat as healthy as she knew how, was sweet to everyone, and never took drugs or smoked gets lung cancer or liver cancer.

TroutDude has it right. We don't know. Life doesn't go along in a nice neat little package the way human rationale thinks it should.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Nothing is what it seems.
Here, this is what I mean...

A student asks his Teacher, "Why did the good man of the village just get robbed and the
bad man of the village just find 5 gold coins?"
Teacher, "Nothing is what it seems. In another life the good man was not so good and was
supposed to be robbed, beated and hung upside down from that tree.
But because he has lead a good life...he was only robbed."

"The 'bad' man was very good in another life and was supposed to find an entire chest of gold coins.
But, bec he has lived a 'bad' life...he only found 5 coins.
Nothing is what it seems."
I would have to agree with you to some extent (or more extent depending on your perception) that there is more factors that we just don't know.

Wouldn't your example mean that souls/spirits are recycled? Recycled is probably not the right word but I have experienced some weird correlations with past experiences.

For example, I seem to have an affinity for home remedies. All my friends and family ask me what to eat when medicine fails. But home remedies is usually taught nowadays yet I have a 6th sense. Maybe or maybe I am just over thinking it.

But according to Christianity we can rule out Father's sins affecting sons, yet my family has a legacy of teen pregnancies (myself included) but then my daughter was raised differently and is married without children at 22.

It's a mystery why some have afflictions and others don't.

Edit: I shouldn't just name Christianity. Most religions have an "eye for an eye" type belief.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
TroutDude has it right. We don't know. Life doesn't go along in a nice neat little package the way human rationale thinks it should.
I agree. However, wouldn't you expect reactions (thievery, diseases, etc.) to correlate with actions as a scientific principle in nature?

It's something that stumps me and I hate being stumped!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:

Because life, death, and human existence are an illusion. They are there only to teach you to care for others so that you can grow as a person. When you die, you will pass on, and enter into afterlife.

That you fixate on death means you don't yet believe in afterlife.

Death is not punishment for them. They are dead, and they feel no more pain. It's for you, not as punishment but to cultivate your heart.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
God doesn't cause cancer. God doesn't go around picking and choosing who lives and who dies. No innocent child "deserves" to die in the many horrible ways children can die in this world.

The world just is what it is - God doesn't meddle in human affairs like this. We just die when we die - whether it is by disease or accident or caused by another person or peacefully in our sleep. I know Christians can't think that way, but this is what I believe and it makes more sense to me than believing God lets children get beaten to death or sold into prostitution and raped daily. People do that, not God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality